Windows

Dean Rettig
I can't quite follow all the issues and the merging that needs to be done,
and I can see that the Python 3 code is important.  I just hope when the
smoke clears and you make a new release, that the poor Windows folks (me)
don't get left behind.

thanks for all the work you guys do.

Dean

Re: Windows

Dave Kempe-2
Hi Dean,
We can probably start testing on windows pretty soon, so hang in there.
You could probably get the jump on it and try follow along here:
[ https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup/tree/ericzolf-py2to3 | https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup/tree/ericzolf-py2to3 ]
If you want to contribute - give it a go on windows and report back. We are due to merge that into the main branch soon I believe - not that I have direct control over that, but that seems to be the plan!

Dave

Re: Windows

Eric Lavarde
Hi,

On 08/08/2019 01:54, Dave Kempe wrote:
> Hi Dean,
> We can probably start testing on windows pretty soon, so hang in there.
> You could probably get the jump on it and try follow along here:
> [ https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup/tree/ericzolf-py2to3 | https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup/tree/ericzolf-py2to3 ]
> If you want to contribute - give it a go on windows and report back. We are due to merge that into the main branch soon I believe - not that I have direct control over that, but that seems to be the plan!

There is a new sub-branch
https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup/tree/ericzolf-py2to3-bytes
which takes account of the remark that paths should be bytes (and not
-unicode- strings).

I'm almost ready to merge the sub-branch into the branch, give me until
the week-end. If you look at tox.ini (and you should if you want to
test), the first 11 tests are now working, hardlinktest fails (following
ones unknown).

If your interest is purely "unicode clean" give a try to the branch and
comment on PR!40, you may want to test on the sub-branch if your system
is something else than UTF-8 clean.

Windows and MacOS are more than welcome, there are also some OS-specific
tests commented out, so also some work will be required after we've
merged, but we don't leave you behind, we're just mostly Linux guys
without Windows/Mac system to test, and for this we rely on you (but
we'll happily help debugging and fixing).

KR, Eric