Wordpress and timezone differences

Mark A. Hershberger

Tonight, I finally had a chance to look at the timezone problems
people are having with WordPress and weblogger-el.

I was able to confirm that if you set your WP installation to your
timezone, you have to then offset your weblogger-el posts by the same
amount in the opposite direction.

That is, since I'm in GMT-4 and I set my timezone in WP to GMT-4, I had
to set the timezone in my weblogger-el post to be GMT+4.

Why?

From a little googling (e.g http://www.makeyougohmm.com/20070125/4178/)
I found that other people are having similar problems with WP and
timezones.  It looks like WP isn't really treating time properly.

I think I'll be adding a customization so that you can tell weblogger-el
to the appropriate timezone for your blog.  It looks like this is what
has to happen to work around a WP bug.

I could be wrong in how I understand this problem, though, so I'm
interested in your feedback.

Thanks,

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Embrace Ignorance.  Just don't get too attached.

Re: Wordpress and timezone differences

Michael Stutz
Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> That is, since I'm in GMT-4 and I set my timezone in WP to GMT-4, I had
> to set the timezone in my weblogger-el post to be GMT+4.

I found the only way for it to work (in GMT-4) is to keep the time on
the Date: line as it is, but change the -0400 to -0800. Changing it to
+0400 (or just 0400) doesn't work---omitting the minus as someone
reported doing earlier will make the post 12 hours behind.

But if using -0800, the post has the correct date and time in WP.

However, and this is a big caveat, it adds a new problem: the post is
never actually published. If I send a post with -0800 WP sets it as a
"scheduled" post, as if it's a post being made for some time in the
future, even though it comes in at the current time (or a little in the
past, more likely, considering the timestamp is made when you open the
weblogger buffer and it takes time to write the entry). As a result, the
post is never published unless you go into the WP Dashboard and manually
publish it.