XML Files

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

XML Files

Simon Glass-2
Dear Enigma Team,

I want to use David Skinner's Sokoban puzzles (Sasquatch series)with Enigma.
The puzzles have to be in the XML format. How do you create XML files
compatible with Enigma as the ones I created aren't. Are there different types
and versions of XML formatted files?
--
Simon Glass





_______________________________________________
Enigma-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/enigma-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XML Files

Erich Schubert
Hello Simon,
> compatible with Enigma as the ones I created aren't. Are there different types
> and versions of XML formatted files?

XML is very generic.
Newer Office Versions of Microsoft have XML-based formats, OpenOffice
has been using XML formats, there are image XML formats, there is
XHTML, an XML variant of HTML used in web pages. Google Talk uses an
XML-based format for transmitting chat messages ...
So "XML file" gives not much more information about the contents as "text file".
To be able to use the files in Enigma, they need to be in Engima level
file format (which happens to be an XML format and also use the .xml
file name extension, but doesn't have much more in common with the
aforementioned file formats).

best regards,
Erich Schubert


_______________________________________________
Enigma-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/enigma-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XML Files

Raoul-3
Hi *,

> > compatible with Enigma as the ones I created aren't. Are there
> > different types and versions of XML formatted files?
>
> XML is very generic.
> Newer Office Versions of Microsoft have XML-based formats, OpenOffice
> has been using XML formats, there are image XML formats, there is
> XHTML, an XML variant of HTML used in web pages. Google Talk uses an
> XML-based format for transmitting chat messages ...
> So "XML file" gives not much more information about the contents as
> "text file". To be able to use the files in Enigma, they need to be
> in Engima level file format (which happens to be an XML format and
> also use the .xml file name extension, but doesn't have much more in
> common with the aforementioned file formats).

That's true.

The xml structure of the level file format
which Enigma uses since version 1.00 is described
in the reference manual[1], chapter 3 in much detail.

At least for "normal" enigma levels. For sokoban
levels there are some additional aspects.
And there is also some work in progress for the
next release.

[1]: http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/manual/enigma-ref.html#SEC20


Greetings, Raoul


_______________________________________________
Enigma-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/enigma-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XML Files

Erich Schubert
In reply to this post by Erich Schubert
Hello Simon,
Please send replies to the mailing list!
I'm currently on vacation, and only read my email every now and then,
and others might be able to help you better or might also be
interested in writing levels. So please do not unnecessarily take
discussions off the list.

> How do you create an Enigma level file format which you mention is a type of
> XML file? I tried XML Word format and that did't work. Should I try different
> XML formats to find which one works eg the puzzles were downloaded in the HTML
> format, so should I try XHTML?

No. You absolutely need to write the levels in the Enigma format;
another XML-based format will NOT work.
Check the enigma reference manual on level writing, it contains
information on how the files MUST be structured.
http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/manual/enigma-ref.html#SEC20

I'm not up to date on visual level editors for enigma - I've never
used them. I know that there was at least one, but I do not know if it
is complete.

When writing XML files, make sure to use an appropriate editor. Using
editors such as Word is NOT recommended - the file will likely contain
some special characters that break it. It's best to use a special XML
source editor; most software developer editors will also work just
fine.
Again I cannot give you a detailed recommendation since I do not use
Windows or OS X.

best regards,
Erich Schubert


_______________________________________________
Enigma-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/enigma-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XML Files

Raoul-3
Hi *,

> Please send replies to the mailing list!
> I'm currently on vacation, and only read my email every now and then,
> and others might be able to help you better or might also be
> interested in writing levels. So please do not unnecessarily take
> discussions off the list.
>
> > How do you create an Enigma level file format which you mention is a type of
> > XML file? I tried XML Word format and that did't work. Should I try different
> > XML formats to find which one works eg the puzzles were downloaded in the HTML
> > format, so should I try XHTML?
>
> No. You absolutely need to write the levels in the Enigma format;
> another XML-based format will NOT work.
> Check the enigma reference manual on level writing, it contains
> information on how the files MUST be structured.
> http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/manual/enigma-ref.html#SEC20

An example for a simple xml level can be found here [1].
But is will not work in Enigma 1.01 and below, it's written
for the upcoming Enigma 1.10.

[1]: http://enigma.mal2.ch/index.php?title=New_API_Level_Template

> I'm not up to date on visual level editors for enigma - I've never
> used them. I know that there was at least one, but I do not know if it
> is complete.

No, there is no graphical level editor at the moment. The old ones
like BBE and others can not write levels in the new API. And they also
never covered newer features and game objects.

> When writing XML files, make sure to use an appropriate editor. Using
> editors such as Word is NOT recommended - the file will likely contain
> some special characters that break it. It's best to use a special XML
> source editor; most software developer editors will also work just
> fine.
> Again I cannot give you a detailed recommendation since I do not use
> Windows or OS X.

Every very simple texteditor will do the job.


Greetings, Raoul


_______________________________________________
Enigma-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/enigma-devel