about planner timeclock

Matthew Hippely
Can planner-timeclock be set up to log the time spent visiting a file
rather that time spent working on a task?

For example: I start the timeclock and open a file. if point stays in
that file for more than 30 seconds the timeclock would automatically
start tracking the time I spend in that file. When I switch to a
different buffer or open a new file and keep point there for more than
30 seconds the time clock will log me out of the original file and log
me into this new one that I am now visiting.

Re: about planner timeclock

John Sullivan-2
Matthew Hippely <[hidden email]> writes:

> Can planner-timeclock be set up to log the time spent visiting a file
> rather that time spent working on a task?

Not that easily -- it seems like this would be tricky to fully specify.
Like, what about if you look at help for a command while working on a
file, or switch to gnus briefly to look at a mail message, or to an ERC
buffer...? Also I think implementing this wouldn't involve planner at
all, just timeclock.

--
John Sullivan
Emacs Planner Maintainer

Re: about planner timeclock

Matthew Hippely
Thanks for the reply. What you mentioned below is actually the
behavior that I want to track. As I am able to spend more and more
time in emacs it helpful to know where I spend my time, be it work
files, email, documentation etc. That way I can know things like how
much actual time is spend writing html or javascript for my job or in
documentation figuring out how to do things in emacs or reading my
email and adjust my workflow process to be more efficient.

If I were to try to come up with something do you have any
suggestions? My elisp skills are limited to .emacs configuration and
most of that is borrowed from the internets. But I like to figure
things out so I'll take a look at timeclock.el as a starting place.
Any suggestions for implementing this would be appreciated. Also, is
there a timeclock help mailing list I should be posting this to
instead of here?

Thanks again for the reply.
Matthew
On Jul 2, 2008, at 9:44 AM, John Sullivan wrote:

> Matthew Hippely <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Can planner-timeclock be set up to log the time spent visiting a file
>> rather that time spent working on a task?
>>

> Not that easily -- it seems like this would be tricky to fully
> specify.
> Like, what about if you look at help for a command while working on a
> file, or switch to gnus briefly to look at a mail message, or to an
> ERC
> buffer...? Also I think implementing this wouldn't involve planner at
> all, just timeclock.
>
> --
> John Sullivan
> Emacs Planner Maintainer
> http://www.wjsullivan.net/PlannerMode.html
> GPG Key: AE8600B6

Re: about planner timeclock

Rohan Nicholls-3
That is a very nice idea, as I am always forgetting to login and
logout of projects (so much so, I have given up).  A useful extension
would allow you to specify certain root directories, and any work done
in files under those directories would be considered the same project.

From there of course you could group a series of root directories as
being part of the same path.