added mainline.lisp

Jim Prewett

Hi all,

I've added mainline.lisp to the CVS repo.  The idea was to move the
mainline type functions out to their own file so that when compiling LoGS,
the compiler would have fewer undefined symbol warnings.

I'd like to (as much as is possible) have the file that defines a symbol
loaded before a function in a different file that uses that symbol is
loaded.  I believe this is mostly an aesthetic issue (I don't like my
compiler complaining :) and shouldn't affect performance (I'm not exactly
clear on when that sort of thing actually can affect performance :).

You'd be surprised at how hard I had to work to get this done (I had
attempted many far less elegant solutions, none of which turned out to be
a very good idea at all :).   Oh well! :)

all tests still pass and the compiler is a little quieter with the
warnings now. :)

Jim

James E. Prewett                    [hidden email] [hidden email]
Systems Team Leader           LoGS: http://www.hpc.unm.edu/~download/LoGS/
Designated Security Officer         OpenPGP key: pub 1024D/31816D93
HPC Systems Engineer III   UNM HPC  505.277.8210

Re: added mainline.lisp

Vijay Lakshminarayanan
Jim

I'm not really sure you've updated the latest file.  The mainline file
I have just has two functions moved from LoGS.lisp to itself.  The
defvars, defparameters and defconstants are where they were.

Thanks
Vijay

On 6/13/06, Jim Prewett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've added mainline.lisp to the CVS repo.  The idea was to move the
> mainline type functions out to their own file so that when compiling LoGS,
> the compiler would have fewer undefined symbol warnings.
>
> I'd like to (as much as is possible) have the file that defines a symbol
> loaded before a function in a different file that uses that symbol is
> loaded.  I believe this is mostly an aesthetic issue (I don't like my
> compiler complaining :) and shouldn't affect performance (I'm not exactly
> clear on when that sort of thing actually can affect performance :).
>
> You'd be surprised at how hard I had to work to get this done (I had
> attempted many far less elegant solutions, none of which turned out to be
> a very good idea at all :).   Oh well! :)
>
> all tests still pass and the compiler is a little quieter with the
> warnings now. :)
>
> Jim
>
> James E. Prewett                    [hidden email] [hidden email]
> Systems Team Leader           LoGS: http://www.hpc.unm.edu/~download/LoGS/
> Designated Security Officer         OpenPGP key: pub 1024D/31816D93
> HPC Systems Engineer III   UNM HPC  505.277.8210

Re: added mainline.lisp

Jim Prewett

Hi Vijay,

Yes, that is what I intended.  LoGS.lisp sets up most of the parameters
and mainline.lisp is just those two functions (they should be loaded after
the other classes are defined, etc. IMO)