any new phones that can be used

Bongob Bongg
Hi,

Do you have any information about new phones that are currently in sale
at stores and that can be used?

And hopefully not too expensive.

My story so far:
I have a very old nokia phone that I got working with a usb cable...

I bought a new Nokia 222 at the store, did not work with usb or bluetooth.
Can only charge and connect as storage with USB. With bluetooth seem to be able to send a couple of AT commands, but the phone does not seem to understand anything.
I think bluetooth can only be used to connect a headset.

Best regards,
Carl.

Re: any new phones that can be used

Baurzhan Ismagulov
Hello Carl,

On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 01:25:19PM +0100, Bongob Bongg wrote:
> Do you have any information about new phones that are currently in sale
> at stores and that can be used?

What would you like to use them for?

E.g., for sending SMS, UMTS sticks with USB interface could be used -- haven't
tried that with gnokii.

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.

Re: any new phones that can be used

Bongob Bongg

E.g., for sending SMS, UMTS sticks with USB interface could be used -- haven't
tried that with gnokii.

Hi,
Yes, I care mostly about the SMS functionality. Should be able to read the inbox.
Don't care about reading contact list and calendars and such things. Should work
on linux without having to install cds that come with the device.

I searched amazon.com and many such sticks came up. They seemed promising.
Anybody know of a model that they have gotten to work? Everything from Huawei is great?

Thanks a lot.

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 03:27:08AM +0100, Bongob Bongg wrote:
> Yes, I care mostly about the SMS functionality. Should be able to read the
> inbox.
> Don't care about reading contact list and calendars and such things. Should
> work
> on linux without having to install cds that come with the device.
>
> I searched amazon.com and many such sticks came up. They seemed promising.
> Anybody know of a model that they have gotten to work? Everything from
> Huawei is great?

I've used Huawei MF190 and ZTE K3565-Z under Linux with wvdial + pppd for
Internet and Vodafone Mobile Connect for SMS reading and sending. Both support
AT commands. Vodafone Mobile Connect is a Python application with varying
stability from version to version. Haven't tried gnokii with those.

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.