bubble-window.lisp

Stefan Reichör
Hi all,

I am trying to implement a bubble-window functionality for stumpwm -
similar to my bubble-buffer.el for emacs (http://www.xsteve.at/prg/emacs/bubble-buffer.el)

It works like this:
* I build a window-stack that is always sorted (the most recent seen window on top)
* The bubble-window-next command allows to bubble up a window from this window-stack
  (without re-ordering the window-stack)
* bubble-window-prev does it in the opposite direction when you have
  gone one step to far by using bubble-window-next

I want to display some information about the next windows on the window-stack
when I execute the bubble-window-* functions.
However this does not work very well.
I experimented with a lot of tricks, however: the displayed text
disappears almost immediatly.

It seems to be related to the focus-all function. The (echo "next")/(echo "prev")
function calls should stay as long as default messages stay.

Does someone have an idea, what is causing this behaviour?

I also would love to contribute this functionality to stumpwm.

Stefan.

bubble-window.lisp (3K) Download Attachment

Re: bubble-window.lisp

David Bjergaard
Hi Stefan,

Can you clarify the issue? Is it that the message disappears too fast?
As I understand the message function, it will display the text until a
time-out *or* if some other event happens that refreshes the
screen. This means that if you display a message and then raise a
window, the message disappears immediately.

Maybe this will help?

Cheers,

    Dave

Stefan Reichör <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to implement a bubble-window functionality for stumpwm -
> similar to my bubble-buffer.el for emacs (http://www.xsteve.at/prg/emacs/bubble-buffer.el)
>
> It works like this:
> * I build a window-stack that is always sorted (the most recent seen window on top)
> * The bubble-window-next command allows to bubble up a window from this window-stack
>   (without re-ordering the window-stack)
> * bubble-window-prev does it in the opposite direction when you have
>   gone one step to far by using bubble-window-next
>
> I want to display some information about the next windows on the window-stack
> when I execute the bubble-window-* functions.
> However this does not work very well.
> I experimented with a lot of tricks, however: the displayed text
> disappears almost immediatly.
>
> It seems to be related to the focus-all function. The (echo "next")/(echo "prev")
> function calls should stay as long as default messages stay.
>
> Does someone have an idea, what is causing this behaviour?
>
> I also would love to contribute this functionality to stumpwm.
>
> Stefan.

Re: bubble-window.lisp

Stefan Reichör
Hi David,

thanks for your response.

Did you try my code?
Just eval the file, do some window changes and then hit F9 or Shift-F9.
Then you will see, that the "next" and "prev" messages will dissapear
very fast. When I don't use the focus-all call the message stays.

What I am looking for is the "some other event" that refreshes the screen.
The focus-all function seems to show the correct window. I call the
message function after the focus-all call. It is in fact the last call I
do in my command.
So, after issuing my command the message is cleared. And I have no idea
what causes this - and how to prevent it...

Stefan.