I have my development copy of WeeChat installed in /usr/local/bin/ and
re-compile WeeChat from git sources regularly. I started to notice with 0.4.2
and now 0.4.3 that /upgrade would crash WeeChat.
I found that the symlink in /usr/local/bin would often be missing and I would
have to 'sudo make install' again to create the symlink. All I would see in
/usr/local/bin was the WeeChat binary along with a few other files that are
not related to WeeChat.
I see this probblem regularly on two PCs, both running 64-bit Kubuntu. If
there are several git updates during the day I might see this once or twice
but interestingly I won't see the problem on both PCs at the same time or with
the same update.
I no longer install WeeChat from either the Ubuntu repositories or from a PPA.
The only version on either PC is the version that I compile from source.
In order to fix the problem, I would like if possible a way to reproduce the
problem. Are you compiling with cmake or autotools?
And does the problem happen on every "sudo make install"?
By the way, starting from version 0.4.2, it is recommended to run "weechat"
instead of "weechat-curses", which is now a symbolic link for compatiblity. If
you upgrade from an older release, you can force the name of the binary (see
/help upgrade and the release notes for 0.4.2:
I'm using cmake to compile WeeChat. I think this problem only occurs about 1
in 5 times. That is what is strange. It might happen on one PC and not the
other. Next time both might be ok or it might be the other one that suffers
the problem. They're both kept up-to-date and are updated at the same time
with the latest git changes.
I've been starting WeeChat from a tmux session with a pre-configured start-up
programs so I'll just run "weechat". So the missing symlink won't affect me
now. I must have missed the change.