cannot directly recover file but enclosing folder

cannot directly recover file but enclosing folder

Nicolas Jungers-2
(sorry for botched previous post)

Hi all,

I've a old (4 years) and busy repository. It's now several 100 thousand
files and around 3 TB for the backup.

Yesterday I discovered that the user cannot recover a deleted file any
more. But the user can recover the directory two levels above and from
there extract the desired file.

That seems quite odd to me and I wonder what can lead to that situation?
I suspect that it can be due to the fact that the directory was deleted,
the deletion recorded by riff-backup and later the directory got
recreated/restored.

Can someone confirm or infirm the hypothesis? Is there a way to prove it
or disprove it?

Thanks,
N.

Re: cannot directly recover file but enclosing folder

Robert Nichols-2
On 03/15/2014 01:53 AM, Nicolas Jungers wrote:
> Yesterday I discovered that the user cannot recover a deleted file any more. But
> the user can recover the directory two levels above and from there extract the
> desired file.
>
> That seems quite odd to me and I wonder what can lead to that situation? I
> suspect that it can be due to the fact that the directory was deleted, the
> deletion recorded by riff-backup and later the directory got recreated/restored.

I cannot reproduce that behavior. What was the exact command used in the
unsuccessful attempt? Note that specifying a time like "-r 0B" or "-r 2B"
probably won't work because those integers refer to the increments of the
total archive, not increments of the particular file. You need to run
"rdiff-backup -l /archive_dir/path/to/the/file" to get the list of
increments available for that file, and then use one of those timestamps
in the argument to "-r".

--
Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
                 Do NOT delete it.

On 2014-03-15 15:08, Robert Nichols wrote:

> On 03/15/2014 01:53 AM, Nicolas Jungers wrote:
>> Yesterday I discovered that the user cannot recover a deleted file any
>> more. But
>> the user can recover the directory two levels above and from there
>> extract the
>> desired file.
>>
>> That seems quite odd to me and I wonder what can lead to that
>> situation? I
>> suspect that it can be due to the fact that the directory was deleted,
>> the
>> deletion recorded by riff-backup and later the directory got
>> recreated/restored.
>
> I cannot reproduce that behavior. What was the exact command used in the
> unsuccessful attempt? Note that specifying a time like "-r 0B" or "-r 2B"
> probably won't work because those integers refer to the increments of the
> total archive, not increments of the particular file. You need to run
> "rdiff-backup -l /archive_dir/path/to/the/file" to get the list of
> increments available for that file, and then use one of those timestamps
> in the argument to "-r".

Well, I started with rdiff-web. That showed an erased file with 19
available revisions. Selecting the one I wanted (or the last or the
first one) gave the error message:
        Invalid data parameter

Then I tried a rdiff-backup cmd with:
        rdiff-backup -r 2013-08-20 <path_to_the_file> <restore_path>
That silently gave nothing.

Digging in the rdiff-backup-data, I found the diff that interested me
and I ran
        rdiff-backup <path_to_the_diff.gz> <restore_path>
That gave me:
        Fatal Error: Source file <path_to_the_diff.gz> does not exist

Then a
        rdiff-backup -l <path_to_file>
gave
        Found 0 increments:
        Current mirror: Sun Mar 16 00:31:01 2014

Then
        rdiff_backup -l <path_to_enclosing_directory>
for the same result.

But, doing a
        rdiff_backup -l <path_to_enclosing_enclosing_directory>
gave me 1269 revisions, including the one of interest.

Restoring the directory gave me the file I was looking for.

Thanks,
N.