cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi.  So, I did a full backup with par2 -- it seemed to take quite a
bit longer than the one without.  But my real question is that I
cannot remove the previous backup.  The previous backup was without par2.

Here is the complete log at verbosity 8.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

===File /usr/src/backup.log=================================
Using archive dir: /root/.cache/duplicity/backup_linux
Using backup name: backup_linux
Import of duplicity.backends.acdclibackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.azurebackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.b2backend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.botobackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.cfbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.copycombackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.dpbxbackend Failed: No module named dropbox
Import of duplicity.backends.gdocsbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.giobackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.hsibackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.hubicbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.imapbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.lftpbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.localbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.mediafirebackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.megabackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.multibackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.ncftpbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.onedrivebackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.par2backend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.pydrivebackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.rsyncbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.ssh_paramiko_backend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.ssh_pexpect_backend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.swiftbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.sxbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.tahoebackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.webdavbackend Succeeded
Main action: remove-all-but-n-full
duplicity 0.7.12 (March 21, 2017)
Args: /usr/bin/duplicity remove-all-but-n-full 1 --force -v info --volsize 300 --gpg-options --pinentry-mode loopback --exclude-filelist /etc/azure_excludes.txt --name backup_linux --encrypt-key [hidden email] --asynchronous-upload azure://linux
Linux ccs.covici.com 4.9.24-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 29 22:53:55 EDT 2017 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
/usr/lib/python-exec/python2.7/python2 2.7.13 (default, Mar  7 2017, 01:32:52)
[GCC 5.3.0]
Synchronizing remote metadata to local cache...
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20170508T104208Z.sigtar.gpg.par2 to local cache.
Using temporary directory /tmp/duplicity-XWofSK-tempdir
Deleting /tmp/duplicity-XWofSK-tempdir/mktemp-FTlMze-1
Deleting /tmp/duplicity-XWofSK-tempdir/mktemp-f5g7Yg-2
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20170508T104208Z.sigtar.gpg.vol000+200.par2 to local cache.
Deleting /tmp/duplicity-XWofSK-tempdir/mktemp-WOxgsF-3
Deleting /tmp/duplicity-XWofSK-tempdir/mktemp-yBhBcj-4
Copying duplicity-full.20170508T104208Z.manifest.gpg.par2 to local cache.
Deleting /tmp/duplicity-XWofSK-tempdir/mktemp-blCoF4-5
Deleting /tmp/duplicity-XWofSK-tempdir/mktemp-C4WQH8-6
Copying duplicity-full.20170508T104208Z.manifest.gpg.vol000+200.par2 to local cache.
Deleting /tmp/duplicity-XWofSK-tempdir/mktemp-hX733K-7
Deleting /tmp/duplicity-XWofSK-tempdir/mktemp-do5Zyl-8
Processing local manifest /root/.cache/duplicity/backup_linux/duplicity-full.20161015T074955Z.manifest (206577452)
Found 4526 volumes in manifest
Processing local manifest /root/.cache/duplicity/backup_linux/duplicity-full.20170508T104208Z.manifest.gpg.vol000+200.par2 (2288776)
Found 0 volumes in manifest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1546, in <module>
    with_tempdir(main)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1540, in with_tempdir
    fn()
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1391, in main
    do_backup(action)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1416, in do_backup
    globals.archive_dir).set_values()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 710, in set_values
    self.get_backup_chains(partials + backend_filename_list)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 836, in get_backup_chains
    add_to_sets(f)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 824, in add_to_sets
    if set.add_filename(filename):
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 101, in add_filename
    self.set_manifest(filename)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 136, in set_manifest
    remote_filename)
AssertionError: ('duplicity-full.20170508T104208Z.manifest.gpg', 'duplicity-full.20170508T104208Z.manifest.gpg.par2')

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
John,

you should have really backed up into a new backend folder ;) as you are now mixing backends within one target

On 12.05.2017 13:59, John Covici via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> /usr/bin/duplicity remove-all-but-n-full 1 --force -v info --volsize 300 --gpg-options --pinentry-mode loopback --exclude-filelist /etc/azure_excludes.txt --name backup_linux --encrypt-key [hidden email] --asynchronous-upload azure://linux

anyway, did you try

/usr/bin/duplicity remove-all-but-n-full 1 ... par2+azure://linux

?

..ede

Re: cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
No one told me I had to do that.  How can I fix?  Without par2, I did
this successfully already.

On 12.05.2017 14:24, John Covici wrote:
> No one told me I had to do that.

well, now you know.

>How can I fix?

move the new chain manually into a new folder on the backend. the file dates and names should help to determine, which belong to the new chain.

alternatively remove all par2 files and use the backend w/o the par2 wrapper.

alternatively make a new par2+azure:// full into a new folder.

>Without par2, I did
> this successfully already.

did you try 'remove-all-but-n-full' using the par2+azure:// backend?

..ede/duply.net

> On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:02:40 -0400,
> edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> you should have really backed up into a new backend folder ;) as you are now mixing backends within one target
>>
>> On 12.05.2017 13:59, John Covici via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>> /usr/bin/duplicity remove-all-but-n-full 1 --force -v info --volsize 300 --gpg-options --pinentry-mode loopback --exclude-filelist /etc/azure_excludes.txt --name backup_linux --encrypt-key [hidden email] --asynchronous-upload azure://linux
>>

>> anyway, did you try
>>
>> /usr/bin/duplicity remove-all-but-n-full 1 ... par2+azure://linux
>>
>> ?
>>
>> ..ede

Re: cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
No, I did not try the remove all but with the par2, I will see if that
works.
I did not get any errors doing that -- I will make sure by checking
the back end.

Thanks very much.

On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:35:04 -0400,
edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> On 12.05.2017 14:24, John Covici wrote:
> > No one told me I had to do that.
>
> well, now you know.
>
> >How can I fix?
>
> move the new chain manually into a new folder on the backend. the file dates and names should help to determine, which belong to the new chain.
>
> alternatively remove all par2 files and use the backend w/o the par2 wrapper.
>
> alternatively make a new par2+azure:// full into a new folder.
>
> >Without par2, I did
> > this successfully already.
>
> did you try 'remove-all-but-n-full' using the par2+azure:// backend?
>
> ..ede/duply.net
>

> > On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:02:40 -0400,
> > edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> >>
> >> John,
> >>
> >> you should have really backed up into a new backend folder ;) as you are now mixing backends within one target

> >> anyway, did you try
> >>
> >> /usr/bin/duplicity remove-all-but-n-full 1 ... par2+azure://linux
> >>
> >> ?
> >>
> >> ..ede

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
So, that sort of worked -- it removed things from the back end, but
there seems to be a few files in the directory, but they are of no
matter I suppose, the chains are definitely gone.

In future if I need to do another full backup using par2, do I need to
do it under a separate name?  If I do that will the remove older than
work?

Thanks.

On 12.05.2017 16:09, John Covici wrote:
> So, that sort of worked -- it removed things from the back end, but
> there seems to be a few files in the directory, but they are of no
> matter I suppose, the chains are definitely gone.
>
> In future if I need to do another full backup using par2, do I need to
> do it under a separate name?  If I do that will the remove older than
> work?

as you found out duplicity does not like the par2 files unless it uses the par2 wrapper backend. unfortunately you ended up having chains w/ and w/o par2 files mixed in a folder. that's not something that was anticipated during development stage, obviously.

next time simply choose an alternate target location (folder) when you start using par2 wrapper or do other major changes (like using a new duplicity version) eg.

duplicity full /src file://backup

 instead of

duplicity full /src par2+file://backupWithPar2

..ede/duply.net

Re: cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
By new folder, do you mean a new azure storage container, or a new
name for my backups or both?

On Fri, 12 May 2017 10:21:54 -0400,
edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> On 12.05.2017 16:09, John Covici wrote:
> > So, that sort of worked -- it removed things from the back end, but
> > there seems to be a few files in the directory, but they are of no
> > matter I suppose, the chains are definitely gone.
> >
> > In future if I need to do another full backup using par2, do I need to
> > do it under a separate name?  If I do that will the remove older than
> > work?
>
> as you found out duplicity does not like the par2 files unless it uses the par2 wrapper backend. unfortunately you ended up having chains w/ and w/o par2 files mixed in a folder. that's not something that was anticipated during development stage, obviously.
>
> next time simply choose an alternate target location (folder) when you start using par2 wrapper or do other major changes (like using a new duplicity version) eg.
>
> duplicity full /src file://backup
>
>  instead of
>
> duplicity full /src par2+file://backupWithPar2
>
> ..ede/duply.net

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
if your cloud backend has no folders, but containers, well then containers ;)

what do you mean by name? ..ede

On 12.05.2017 16:37, John Covici wrote:

> By new folder, do you mean a new azure storage container, or a new
> name for my backups or both?
>
> On Fri, 12 May 2017 10:21:54 -0400,
> edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>
>> On 12.05.2017 16:09, John Covici wrote:
>>> So, that sort of worked -- it removed things from the back end, but
>>> there seems to be a few files in the directory, but they are of no
>>> matter I suppose, the chains are definitely gone.
>>>
>>> In future if I need to do another full backup using par2, do I need to
>>> do it under a separate name?  If I do that will the remove older than
>>> work?
>>
>> as you found out duplicity does not like the par2 files unless it uses the par2 wrapper backend. unfortunately you ended up having chains w/ and w/o par2 files mixed in a folder. that's not something that was anticipated during development stage, obviously.
>>
>> next time simply choose an alternate target location (folder) when you start using par2 wrapper or do other major changes (like using a new duplicity version) eg.
>>
>> duplicity full /src file://backup
>>
>>  instead of
>>
>> duplicity full /src par2+file://backupWithPar2
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net

Re: cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
By name I mean the  --name parameter on the duplicity command line.

On Fri, 12 May 2017 10:43:50 -0400,
edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> if your cloud backend has no folders, but containers, well then containers ;)
>
> what do you mean by name? ..ede
>

> On 12.05.2017 16:37, John Covici wrote:
> > By new folder, do you mean a new azure storage container, or a new
> > name for my backups or both?
> >
> > On Fri, 12 May 2017 10:21:54 -0400,
> > edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> >> as you found out duplicity does not like the par2 files unless it uses the par2 wrapper backend. unfortunately you ended up having chains w/ and w/o par2 files mixed in a folder. that's not something that was anticipated during development stage, obviously.
> >>
> >> next time simply choose an alternate target location (folder) when you start using par2 wrapper or do other major changes (like using a new duplicity version) eg.
> >>
> >> duplicity full /src file://backup
> >>
> >>  instead of
> >>
> >> duplicity full /src par2+file://backupWithPar2
> >>
> >> ..ede/duply.net

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
check --archive-dir, --name descriptions in the manpage
  http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html

generally there is no need to set it. if you do make sure that the same name or archive dir is not used for different targets (backends, backend folders/containers) .

so, yes - change the name as well or better, simply don't give it.

..ede/duply.net

On 12.05.2017 16:54, John Covici wrote:

> By name I mean the  --name parameter on the duplicity command line.
>
> On Fri, 12 May 2017 10:43:50 -0400,
> edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>
>> if your cloud backend has no folders, but containers, well then containers ;)
>>
>> what do you mean by name? ..ede
>>

>> On 12.05.2017 16:37, John Covici wrote:
>>> By new folder, do you mean a new azure storage container, or a new
>>> name for my backups or both?

Re: cannot remove older backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
OK, thanks.