coming from monotone....

J Decker
what is the equivalent of mtn pivot_root in git?

Re: coming from monotone....

Brian May-11
J Decker <[hidden email]> writes:

> what is the equivalent of mtn pivot_root in git?

I don't think there is a direct equivalent, and as git doesn't keep
track of renames or directories like monotone does, I am not sure there
is any need for anything like this in git. Move the files where they
need to be and don't worry about the directories.

This is a very generic answer, if you gave more details as to what you
are trying to do it is possible there is a better answer for your
specific case.
--
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Re: coming from monotone....

J Decker
I used it to take a source tree, take a large chunk out of it, make
that the new root, move a few extra things, and delete the rest.   I
have a thing that can be more effective if chopped into individual
compoents... But, if there were changes in the main line to those
sources which I haven't really touched in a lot of years will still be
able to get the occsional update from the master.

propagate in the wrong direction is a terribly bad idea though..

but I realized you said it doesn't trace renames... only content in
git... I'm just not sure if chagnes would propagate....