comparing subdirectories

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

comparing subdirectories

Kshitij Velhal
Hi,

I am new user of rdiff-backup and am facing some problems in comparing subdirectories of backupsets
I want to find files in a subdirectory that have changed since last backup

Following is my configuration:

Ubuntu 5.10 with rdiff-backup version 1.0.4

/data is the partition with files to backup (hda6)
/backup is partition on another disk (hdb1)
/backup/scripts contains my backup scripts and file exclude lists

I am running the tool as: (this is part of backup script which also takes care of other partitions and runs as a cron)
rdiff-backup --exclude-globbing-filelist /backup/scripts/Data_Excludes /data /backup/DataFull

exlcude list contains entries like:
/data/DVDBackups/**
/data/LinuxISO/**

Files have not been modified since last backup

Now if I do
rdiff-backup --exclude-globbing-filelist /backup/scripts/Data_Excludes --compare /data /backup/DataFull
Output says : No changes found.  Directory matches archive data.

This is as expected since nothing changed since last backup

But if I want to check any subdirectory say,
rdiff-backup --compare /data/test1/ /backup/DataFull/test1
(I had to remove exclude option as exclude paths don't match and rdiff-backup fails to understand the arguments)
It shows all the files including subdirectories therein as new and deleted

Here is output
new     .
new     a
new     b
new     c
new     d
new     media
new     media/cd
new     media/flpy
new     media/hdd
new     media/hdd/h1
new     media/usbdisk
new     media/usbdisk/u1
deleted test1
deleted test1/a
deleted test1/b
deleted test1/c
deleted test1/d
deleted test1/media
deleted test1/media/cd
deleted test1/media/flpy
deleted test1/media/hdd
deleted test1/media/hdd/h1
deleted test1/media/usbdisk
deleted test1/media/usbdisk/u1

So even if nothing is changed rdiff-backup is showing some weired output

I am confused. Am I giving wrong options to rdiff-backup or is it not possible to check the delta for sub directories?
How can I reliably detect any changes in subdirectories of the backupset?

Thanks for any help
-Kshitij

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: comparing subdirectories

Vadim Kouzmine
On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 14:39 -0800, Kshitij Velhal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new user of rdiff-backup and am facing some problems in comparing
> subdirectories of backupsets
> I want to find files in a subdirectory that have changed since last
> backup
>
> Following is my configuration:
>
> Ubuntu 5.10 with rdiff-backup version 1.0.4
>
> /data is the partition with files to backup (hda6)
> /backup is partition on another disk (hdb1)
> /backup/scripts contains my backup scripts and file exclude lists
>
> I am running the tool as: (this is part of backup script which also
> takes care of other partitions and runs as a cron)
> rdiff-backup
> --exclude-globbing-filelist /backup/scripts/Data_Excludes /data /backup/DataFull
>
> exlcude list contains entries like:
> /data/DVDBackups/**
> /data/LinuxISO/**
>
> Files have not been modified since last backup
>
> Now if I do
> rdiff-backup --exclude-globbing-filelist /backup/scripts/Data_Excludes
> --compare /data /backup/DataFull
> Output says : No changes found.  Directory matches archive data.
>
> This is as expected since nothing changed since last backup
>
> But if I want to check any subdirectory say,
> rdiff-backup --compare /data/test1/ /backup/DataFull/test1
> (I had to remove exclude option as exclude paths don't match and
> rdiff-backup fails to understand the arguments)
> It shows all the files including subdirectories therein as new and
> deleted
>
> Here is output
> new     .
> new     a
> new     b
> new     c
> new     d
> new     media
> new     media/cd
> new     media/flpy
> new     media/hdd
> new     media/hdd/h1
> new     media/usbdisk
> new     media/usbdisk/u1
> deleted test1
> deleted test1/a
> deleted test1/b
> deleted test1/c
> deleted test1/d
> deleted test1/media
> deleted test1/media/cd
> deleted test1/media/flpy
> deleted test1/media/hdd
> deleted test1/media/hdd/h1
> deleted test1/media/usbdisk
> deleted test1/media/usbdisk/u1
>
> So even if nothing is changed rdiff-backup is showing some weired
> output
>
> I am confused. Am I giving wrong options to rdiff-backup or is it not
> possible to check the delta for sub directories?

rdiff-backup stores service data in only one top-level backup
subdirectory, in your case in /backup/DataFull/rdiff-backup
There is no rdiff-backup subdirectory in /backup/DataFull/test1, so I
suppose it thinks that backup was never made there.


> How can I reliably detect any changes in subdirectories of the
> backupset?

Mat be to use rsync with "dry run" option to compare?
Like rsync -n -av --delete /data/test1/ /backup/DataFull/test1
(check rsync man for complete set of options, but don't forget -n :)


>
> Thanks for any help
Although I'm also new to rdiff-backup.

Vadim

> -Kshitij
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
> http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
--
Vadim Kouzmine <[hidden email]>



_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: comparing subdirectories

Kshitij Velhal
Hey Vadim,

Thanks for quick reply. That really helps.

But still it won't compare with increments
E.g. compare /data/test1 as it was 1 week before.

May be rdiff-backup will support this kind of things in future.

For now at least the restore works on subdirectories. That's good
I can do:
rdiff-backup -r 1W /backup/DataFull/test1 /data/test1

Anyways it's a good tool.
I am trying to achieve funcitonality similar to WindowsXP's System restore.
I guess I have covered 70% of it. :-)

-Kshitij

On 2/12/06, Vadim Kouzmine <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 14:39 -0800, Kshitij Velhal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new user of rdiff-backup and am facing some problems in comparing
> subdirectories of backupsets
> I want to find files in a subdirectory that have changed since last
> backup
>
> Following is my configuration:
>
> Ubuntu 5.10 with rdiff-backup version 1.0.4
>
> /data is the partition with files to backup (hda6)
> /backup is partition on another disk (hdb1)
> /backup/scripts contains my backup scripts and file exclude lists
>
> I am running the tool as: (this is part of backup script which also
> takes care of other partitions and runs as a cron)
> rdiff-backup
> --exclude-globbing-filelist /backup/scripts/Data_Excludes /data /backup/DataFull
>
> exlcude list contains entries like:
> /data/DVDBackups/**
> /data/LinuxISO/**
>
> Files have not been modified since last backup

>
> Now if I do
> rdiff-backup --exclude-globbing-filelist /backup/scripts/Data_Excludes
> --compare /data /backup/DataFull
> Output says : No changes found.  Directory matches archive data.
>
> This is as expected since nothing changed since last backup
>
> But if I want to check any subdirectory say,
> rdiff-backup --compare /data/test1/ /backup/DataFull/test1
> (I had to remove exclude option as exclude paths don't match and
> rdiff-backup fails to understand the arguments)
> It shows all the files including subdirectories therein as new and
> deleted
>
> Here is output
> new     .
> new     a
> new     b
> new     c
> new     d
> new     media
> new     media/cd
> new     media/flpy
> new     media/hdd
> new     media/hdd/h1
> new     media/usbdisk
> new     media/usbdisk/u1
> deleted test1
> deleted test1/a
> deleted test1/b
> deleted test1/c
> deleted test1/d
> deleted test1/media
> deleted test1/media/cd
> deleted test1/media/flpy
> deleted test1/media/hdd
> deleted test1/media/hdd/h1
> deleted test1/media/usbdisk
> deleted test1/media/usbdisk/u1
>
> So even if nothing is changed rdiff-backup is showing some weired
> output
>
> I am confused. Am I giving wrong options to rdiff-backup or is it not
> possible to check the delta for sub directories?

rdiff-backup stores service data in only one top-level backup
subdirectory, in your case in /backup/DataFull/rdiff-backup
There is no rdiff-backup subdirectory in /backup/DataFull/test1, so I
suppose it thinks that backup was never made there.


> How can I reliably detect any changes in subdirectories of the
> backupset?

Mat be to use rsync with "dry run" option to compare?
Like rsync -n -av --delete /data/test1/ /backup/DataFull/test1
(check rsync man for complete set of options, but don't forget -n :)


>
> Thanks for any help
Although I'm also new to rdiff-backup.

Vadim

> -Kshitij
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
> http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
--
Vadim Kouzmine <[hidden email]>



_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki