consuming huge amount of battery on Android even with push

consuming huge amount of battery on Android even with push

Brian J. Murrell
I am running the latest feature/release-4.1 branch on an Android phone
with push enabled

Looking at battery stats, Linphone is consuming by far the most amount
of battery at 33% currently.

I thought the whole point of push was to allow the app to be much
easier on battery and only use battery once a push arrives and it is
woken up to handle the push.

Doesn't push allow Android to kill the app when it's running in the
background even, waking it back up when the push arrives?

Cheers,
b.

Re: consuming huge amount of battery on Android even with push

Sylvain Berfini

Hi,

I'd be interested to see your logs to understand why you have such a battery consumption.

I'm also using the feature/release-4.1 and my battery usage is less than 1%.

By the way, push or no push it's Android that decides when to kill an app even if you can kill it manually yourself.

Cheers,

On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 11:23 +0100, Sylvain Berfini wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I'd be interested to see your logs to understand why you have such a
> battery consumption.

That can probably be arranged.  But maybe first, just an understanding
of which options/settings should be used with push for best battery
life would be great.

I currently have:

Allow push notification enabled
Background mode disabled (which I don't need with push, right?)

Do I need to set an exception in the battery manager to allow the app
to run in the background, or can I leave that as auto-managed and
depend on push waking up Linphone if the battery-manager (even in
aggressive mode) kills it?

> I'm also using the feature/release-4.1 and my battery usage is less
> than 1%.

That's great!  That's what I am looking for.  Interestingly since it's
been off-charge (unplugged) this morning consumption is down to 4.31%

> By the way, push or no push it's Android that decides when to kill
> an
> app even if you can kill it manually yourself.

Yes, completely understood.  But with push, android and/or a battery-
manager is free to kill it and the push will start it back up, right?
Equally so, if I kill it manually, won't a push start it back up?

On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 06:08 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I am running the latest feature/release-4.1 branch on an Android
> phone
> with push enabled
>
> Looking at battery stats, Linphone is consuming by far the most
> amount
> of battery at 33% currently.

Just to close out on this issue, Sylvain had a look at my logs and it
turned to be linphone repeatedly sending IMDN messages and getting a:

SIP/2.0 415 Unsupported Media Type

response.  Of course having this happen repeatedly is less-than-ideal
as it drains battery.

I have opened an issue:

https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/linphone-android/issues/522

about this which contains a workaround to disable IMDN messages as well
as a couple of suggestions for more longer-term solutions.

Cheers and much thanks to Sylvain for investigating!

b.