dbus examples?

Eric Abrahamsen-2
Hey there,

I'm trying to get the simplest of IM notifications in the mode-line. I
use Pidgin, which has very complete Dbus exposure[1], and then there's a
dbus library[2] for CL, and then...

Does anyone have the faintest idea how to use that library? Here's a
(sadly unanswered) google groups post[3] by a fellow named Tobias who
bravely sussed out some of the basics, but he's not doing what I'm
trying to do, and his examples don't work on my setup anyway.

All I'm trying to do is make a dark smudge on my mode-line any time
Pidgin sends a "received-im-msg" message. Does anyone have any pointers
as to how to use the dbus library?

Thanks!
Eric

[1] https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/DbusHowto
[2] https://github.com/death/dbus
[3] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.lang.lisp/BXsrzoM-6nY/FmzPTLf4AUUJ

Evan <[hidden email]> writes:

> I would probably start by checking out this project[1]. I think that
> will have everything you need or probably almost everything you need.
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] https://github.com/lucashpandolfo/upower

That looks exactly right -- thanks for the link!

Eric

Re: dbus examples?

Eric Abrahamsen-2
Evan <[hidden email]> writes:

> I would probably start by checking out this project[1]. I think that
> will have everything you need or probably almost everything you need.
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] https://github.com/lucashpandolfo/upower

Huh, that package seems to be built against a different version of dbus
than what's in quicklisp. Weird, since upower was updated 10 months
ago, and the dbus github repo hasn't been touched in a few years --
the quicklisp dbus version must be coming from somewhere else...

Re: dbus examples?

Evan-59
Yeah, the version of the DBUS library that's in quicklisp is Death's
version, but the one that I use, as well as lucashpandolfo (I think) is
lucashpandolfo's fork of the project. It adds some features that I can't
remember the specifics of, but just classified as required to make the
library actually work as expected.

Anyways, if you clone (or unzip, etc) the repo into the local-projects
directory of your quicklisp directory, quicklisp will load that instead
of Death's. Same deal with the upower library.

-E

Evan <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yeah, the version of the DBUS library that's in quicklisp is Death's
> version, but the one that I use, as well as lucashpandolfo (I think) is
> lucashpandolfo's fork of the project. It adds some features that I can't
> remember the specifics of, but just classified as required to make the
> library actually work as expected.
>
> Anyways, if you clone (or unzip, etc) the repo into the local-projects
> directory of your quicklisp directory, quicklisp will load that instead
> of Death's. Same deal with the upower library.

Cool, thanks for the explanation!