deleting databases

Hendrik Boom-2
Rereading the tutorial for the first time in years I discovered the llovely command

$ mtn db init --db=:beth

in section 2.3, which creates a database in a standard location,
normally $HOME/.monotone/databases

I immediately tried it out, and created

~/.monotone/databases/onion.mtn

And, of course, I then wondered how to delete it again.

Now I get to ask -- does monotone keep any information on this
database  outside of the database itself and the _MTN directories in
its workspaces.

Because if not, I can delete it with a simple
        rm ~/.monotone/databases/onion.mtn
but if so, there will be some other bookkeeping to do.

-- hendrik

Re: deleting databases

Stephen Leake-3
Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> writes:

> Rereading the tutorial for the first time in years I discovered the llovely command
>
> $ mtn db init --db=:beth
>
> in section 2.3, which creates a database in a standard location,
> normally $HOME/.monotone/databases
>
> I immediately tried it out, and created
>
> ~/.monotone/databases/onion.mtn
>
> And, of course, I then wondered how to delete it again.
>

> Now I get to ask -- does monotone keep any information on this
> database  outside of the database itself and the _MTN directories in
> its workspaces.

No, that is the only persistent storage mtn uses.

> Because if not, I can delete it with a simple
> rm ~/.monotone/databases/onion.mtn

Yes, that suffices.

Unless, of course, you have synced it somewhere.

--
-- Stephe

Re: deleting databases

Hendrik Boom-2
On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 08:55:42AM -0500, Stephen Leake wrote:

> Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Rereading the tutorial for the first time in years I discovered the llovely command
> >
> > $ mtn db init --db=:beth
> >
> > in section 2.3, which creates a database in a standard location,
> > normally $HOME/.monotone/databases
> >
> > I immediately tried it out, and created
> >
> > ~/.monotone/databases/onion.mtn
> >
> > And, of course, I then wondered how to delete it again.
> >

> > Now I get to ask -- does monotone keep any information on this
> > database  outside of the database itself and the _MTN directories in
> > its workspaces.
>
> No, that is the only persistent storage mtn uses.

That's what I expected, but didn't know.

> > Because if not, I can delete it with a simple
> > rm ~/.monotone/databases/onion.mtn
>
> Yes, that suffices.
>
> Unless, of course, you have synced it somewhere.

Of course.

> --
> -- Stephe

Thank you.