duplicity with scp backend succeeds, but creates no backup

duplicity with scp backend succeeds, but creates no backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi,

I am a new user of duplicity. Even after searching for such an issue, I don't find anything on the internet. So posting my problem here.
Basic info :-
Operating system : Linux, Fedora 30
Duplicity version : 0.7.19

Steps :

1. Create test backup directory with structure as
===================================
[backup@localhost testRemoteDuplicity2]$ find
.
./s
./s/file1
===================================

2. Test ssh without password :
ssh 192.168.1.98

3. Run duplicity with full verbosity :
duplicity -v9  --hidden-encrypt-key [hidden email] s scp://192.168.1.98:/tmp/tRD3
Output attached as duplicity.out.gz

4. Test no backup created :

====================================
[backup@localhost testRemoteDuplicity2]$ ssh 192.168.1.98
Last login: Thu Oct 10 22:08:34 2019 from 192.168.1.2
[backup@localhost ~]$ ls -a /tmp/tRD3
.  ..
=====================================

5. Though ~/.cache/duplicity creates lots of files. But that is not the purpose, so I can't count them.

Is this a known scenario ? I have tried a lot, but cannot create any backup using either scp, sftp, pexpect+sftp backend. I get the same error - though the details in the full verbosity output of duplicity might be different.

thanks a lot

duplicity.out.gz (3K) Download Attachment

Re: duplicity with scp backend succeeds, but creates no backup

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, atharva larisa via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> duplicity -v9 --hidden-encrypt-key [hidden email] s scp://192.168.1.98:/tmp/tRD3

This puts the backup in tmp/rRD3 relative to your home directory on
192.168.1.98.  So you should see a directory called tmp in your home
directory that contains your backup.

If you want an absolute path, to put the backups in /tmp, add an extra
slash:

scp://192.168.1.98://tmp/tRD3

Also, the : after the hostname is unnecessary, so you can just write

scp://192.168.1.98//tmp/tRD3

--
Nate Eldredge

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, at 12:28 AM, Nate Eldredge wrote:

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, atharva larisa via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> duplicity -v9 --hidden-encrypt-key [hidden email] s scp://192.168.1.98:/tmp/tRD3

This puts the backup in tmp/rRD3 relative to your home directory on
192.168.1.98.  So you should see a directory called tmp in your home
directory that contains your backup.

If you want an absolute path, to put the backups in /tmp, add an extra
slash:

scp://192.168.1.98://tmp/tRD3

Also, the : after the hostname is unnecessary, so you can just write

scp://192.168.1.98//tmp/tRD3

--
Nate Eldredge

Thanks a lot Nate. Though is there a reason for such a rebellion against convention ?

Even in the man page, in the initial examples section this extremely surprising behaviour does not seem to be emphasized - e.g.

==================
duplicity /home/me sftp://[hidden email]/some_dir
==================

we could have mentioned that this some_dir would be relative to the home of uid in spite of starting with a / ?

thanks again

On 12.10.2019 16:55, atharva larisa via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, at 12:28 AM, Nate Eldredge wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, atharva larisa via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>
>>> duplicity -v9 --hidden-encrypt-key [hidden email] s scp://192.168.1.98:/tmp/tRD3
>>
>> This puts the backup in tmp/rRD3 relative to your home directory on
>> 192.168.1.98. So you should see a directory called tmp in your home
>> directory that contains your backup.
>>
>> If you want an absolute path, to put the backups in /tmp, add an extra
>> slash:
>>
>> scp://192.168.1.98://tmp/tRD3
>>
>> Also, the : after the hostname is unnecessary, so you can just write
>>
>> scp://192.168.1.98//tmp/tRD3
>>
>> --
>> Nate Eldredge
>> [hidden email]
>>

> Thanks a lot Nate. Though is there a reason for such a rebellion against convention ?
probably. note that targets are given as urls, not in the scp syntax which you seem to imply. there is no convention to define absolute paths in urls so the original author seems to have gotten creative ;)

> Even in the man page, in the initial examples section this extremely surprising behaviour does not seem to be emphasized - e.g.

> duplicity /home/me sftp://[hidden email]/some_dir

the example backs up to your home folder. it's an example not a syntax explanation.

> we could have mentioned that this some_dir would be relative to the home of uid in spite of starting with a / ?

it's explained in the man page section 'URL Format'
  http://duplicity.nongnu.org/vers8/duplicity.1.html#sect7

if you feel the man page could be more explanatory feel free to point out where and what text you'd suggest to be added or changed or even better post a merge request on launchpad.

have fun ..ede/duply.net