exclude, use of *

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

exclude, use of *

peter-2
hi,


i tried:
- /home/julius/.mozilla/firefox/*/extensions/


in my exclude file to exclude all the extension directories for all the
firefox accounts.
i was hoping * to work for "anydir", but apparently it doesnt.

rdiff is still searching my 2 firefox profiles and adding files.


is there a way to use a metachar for "all directories" ?


btw, great work. rdiff-backup looks very promissing.

greetings

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exclude, use of *

Adrian Klaver-2
On 05/30/2015 12:05 PM, peter wrote:

> hi,
>
>
> i tried:
> - /home/julius/.mozilla/firefox/*/extensions/
>
>
> in my exclude file to exclude all the extension directories for all the
> firefox accounts.
> i was hoping * to work for "anydir", but apparently it doesnt.
>
> rdiff is still searching my 2 firefox profiles and adding files.
>
>
> is there a way to use a metachar for "all directories" ?

See here:

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup.1.html
FILE SELECTION


In particular '**'.

>
>
> btw, great work. rdiff-backup looks very promissing.
>
> greetings
>
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL:
> http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki


--
Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exclude, use of *

Robert Nichols-2
In reply to this post by peter-2
On 05/30/2015 02:05 PM, peter wrote:
> i tried:
> - /home/julius/.mozilla/firefox/*/extensions/
>
>
> in my exclude file to exclude all the extension directories for all the
> firefox accounts.
> i was hoping * to work for "anydir", but apparently it doesnt.
>
> rdiff is still searching my 2 firefox profiles and adding files.

Let's see the whole command line.

For an exclusion to be effective, it needs to come (in the argument
list) _before_ any directive that would cause that file or directory
to be included.

--
Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
                 Do NOT delete it.


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exclude, use of *

peter-2
On 05/31/2015 06:01 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:

> On 05/30/2015 02:05 PM, peter wrote:
>> i tried:
>> - /home/julius/.mozilla/firefox/*/extensions/
>>
>>
>> in my exclude file to exclude all the extension directories for all the
>> firefox accounts.
>> i was hoping * to work for "anydir", but apparently it doesnt.
>>
>> rdiff is still searching my 2 firefox profiles and adding files.
>
> Let's see the whole command line.
>
> For an exclusion to be effective, it needs to come (in the argument
> list) _before_ any directive that would cause that file or directory
> to be included.
>



rdiff-backup -v5 --print-statistics --exclude-filelist rdiff-excludes
/home/julius/ $host::${backup_folder}



rdiff-excludes:
- /home/julius/.cache
- /home/julius/.local
- /home/julius/tmp
- /home/julius/Downloads
- /home/julius/.mozilla/firefox/*/extensions/



my thinking was, include everything and exclude some parts like i would
do with rsync.

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exclude, use of *

Robert Nichols-2
On 05/31/2015 03:13 AM, peter wrote:

>
>
> rdiff-backup -v5 --print-statistics --exclude-filelist rdiff-excludes
> /home/julius/ $host::${backup_folder}
>
>
>
> rdiff-excludes:
> - /home/julius/.cache
> - /home/julius/.local
> - /home/julius/tmp
> - /home/julius/Downloads
> - /home/julius/.mozilla/firefox/*/extensions/
>
>
>
> my thinking was, include everything and exclude some parts like i would
> do with rsync.

That option needs to be "--exclude-globbing-filelist", and you need
to get rid of that "/" at the end of "extensions/".

--
Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
                 Do NOT delete it.


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exclude, use of *

peter-2
On 05/31/2015 06:48 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:

> On 05/31/2015 03:13 AM, peter wrote:
>>
>>
>> rdiff-backup -v5 --print-statistics --exclude-filelist rdiff-excludes
>> /home/julius/ $host::${backup_folder}
>>
>>
>>
>> rdiff-excludes:
>> - /home/julius/.cache
>> - /home/julius/.local
>> - /home/julius/tmp
>> - /home/julius/Downloads
>> - /home/julius/.mozilla/firefox/*/extensions/
>>
>>
>>
>> my thinking was, include everything and exclude some parts like i would
>> do with rsync.
>
> That option needs to be "--exclude-globbing-filelist", and you need
> to get rid of that "/" at the end of "extensions/".
>

the first run did show "extensions". maybe rdiff was just removing it
from the new backup
thank you very much.

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

backing up /etc

peter-2
In reply to this post by Robert Nichols-2
hi,

i was wondering if theres a better way to backup /etc without giving
root a ssh key and allow access via ssh to a remote system that holds
the backups?

of course you could tar /etc as root, change permissions on the tar
check with the last etc tar that still resides locally if the md5
changed and then transfer it (if it got a different md5)
or will the md5 change no matter if the content stays the same?

maybe thats the best alternative considering that there are not so many
changes.

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki