feature request: cabrillo template

Joop Stakenborg-4
It would be nice to have a cabrillo template. If present, all the
questions when exporting to cabrillo can be skipped.

73 de Jo PG4I

Re: feature request: cabrillo template

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi Joop,

I assume you are talking about the contest and operator related
informations gathered when you want to write a new cabrillo file.

Can you please elaborate some more about what you have in mind here.
The head part of the cabrillo file is not independent of the contest.
So one template for all seems not to fit. But I see that at least the
operator related part could be common between contests.

Any comments or suggestions?

73, de Tom DL1JBE

 Am

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: feature request: cabrillo template

Ervin Hegedüs - HA2OS
Hi all,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 06:00:41PM +0100, Thomas Beierlein wrote:

> Hi Joop,
>
> I assume you are talking about the contest and operator related
> informations gathered when you want to write a new cabrillo file.
>
> Can you please elaborate some more about what you have in mind here.
> The head part of the cabrillo file is not independent of the contest.
> So one template for all seems not to fit. But I see that at least the
> operator related part could be common between contests.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

I don't want to answer for Joop, but I thought about this feature
earlier.

I imagined like this:

logcfg.dat:

CABRILLO_DATA=/home/airween/.tlf/HA2OS_general.cab
CABRILLO_CONTEST=CQ-WW-CW

/home/airween/.tlf/HA2OS_general.cab
CABROLLO_CALLSIGN: HA2OS
CABRILLO_LOCATION: DX
CABRILLO_CATEGORY-OPERATOR: SINGLE-OP
CABRILLO_CATEGORY-ASSISTED: NON-ASSISTED
CABRILLO_CATEGORY-BAND: ALL
CABRILLO_CATEGORY-POWER: LOW
CABRILLO_CATEGORY-MODE: CW
CABRILLO_CATEGORY-TRANSMITTER: ONE
CABRILLO_CATEGORY-OVERLAY:
CABRILLO_CONTEST=

I wrote deribelately the CABRILLO_CONTEST field at two places
(logcfg.dat and general data file): the second occurrance of
field overwrites the first, so therefore we can replace the
values at every contest, but can use a basic data.

When user types a ":w" in callsign field (start to export the log
to CABRILLO), then the fields which has values (by set them the
fields above) will filled in dialogues.

If you like this way, I can start to implement it soon.

73, Ervin
HA2OS

Re: feature request: cabrillo template

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi Ervin,

sounds good so far. If there are no other suggestions from Joop or
others just go ahead.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: feature request: cabrillo template

Joop Stakenborg-4
Sounds good Ervin / Thomas!

I was thinking of a more simple solution, something like: if there is a
template file in the current directory, just add the QSO data to it. The
cabrillo file then should be edited later.

But.. the solution suggested by Ervin is even better, thumbs up!

73 de Joop PG4I

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 07:01:53PM +0100, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> Hi Ervin,
>
> sounds good so far. If there are no other suggestions from Joop or
> others just go ahead.

thanks - right, I'll start to make it soon.

73, Ervin

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 10:32:16AM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> It would be nice to have a cabrillo template. If present, all the questions
> when exporting to cabrillo can be skipped.

a few days ago I reviewed the possibilities, now I'ld like to discuss
them here.

1. the most simple way when we add new keywords to the config
   files, eg. CABRILLO_CONTEST, CABRILLO_CALLSIGN, ...
   therefore you can use these keywords both in logcfg.dat and
   contest rule files

   PRO: easy to make it

   CON: you have to add the keywords everytime when you
        prepare a new contest

2. read the new keywords from separated file; there are two
   sub-solution in this case

   a. this file could contains only the CABRILLO related options

      PRO: clear and elegant solution

      CON: hard to implement, makes the code logic more
           complicated and horrible

   b: this fie could any keyword, we just "call it" as "CABRILLO"
      file

      PRO: *could* be clear, easy to implement

      CON: can lead to chaos (user can mix the options and can't
           see the reason of the different bevaiour)

Let's start to discuss :).

I prefer 2/b.

73, Ervin
HA2OS

Re: feature request: cabrillo template

Joop Stakenborg-4
Hi Erwin,

let me explain how I setup a contest (but maybe there is a better way).

I have a directory called tlf, which is divided into sub-directories
which all have a contest name. Below the contest name is the date (in
case a contest happens more than once a year) or the year. Once I
created the directory structure for the contest which is coming up, I
copy all the data from the previous contest. This includes logcfg.dat,
the rules file, but also any sections file or exchange file. Then I do a
check of all the files, start winkeydaemon, open a terminal with a big
font, go into that directory and start tlf.

So for me, number one would be most convenient. I check my files anyway,
also after the contest I go into the cabrillo file and do a review.

But I am not very critical, whatever is easiest for you is okay with me.
I will adapt ;-)

73 de Joop PG4I