fluidsynth 1&2 parallel installation

Orcan Ogetbil-2
Hi all,
It came to my attention that in Fedora we are still using
fluidsynth-1.1.11. While applications using fluidsynth2 emerge, we
still have quite some number of packages that did not update to the
fluidsynth2 API yet. This begs the question, is having the two
parallelly installable possible or not?

There are various ways of doing this; one of them is to change the
installation targets, e.g. the binary name, the include directory
locations of fluidsynth1 to avoid conflict with fluidsynth2. These
require changes in the cmake build system.

Do you have any recommendation on achieving this; ideas to solve the
problem another way? I can branch off from fluidsynth-1.1.11
(f65c6ba25f) and do my work there.

Thanks,
Orcan

Re: fluidsynth 1&2 parallel installation

fluid-dev mailing list

> This begs the question, is having the two parallelly installable possible or not? [...] one of them is to change the installation targets, e.g. the binary name, the include directory locations of fluidsynth1 to avoid conflict with fluidsynth2.

Only the include files would conflict. The libs are uniquely identified by their soversion. The include files are part of the -devel package. If people don't install the -devel package, no such conflict should occur. I guess, your fear is that people do install the -devel package, while messing around with fluidsynth2? In this case, you're in trouble, I agree. And the only way to work-around this is to hack-around in cmake.

> ideas to solve the problem another way?

Rather than spending time for a parallel-install-work-around, why not updating the API of the depending packages so that Fedora can finally update to fluidsynth2? This is the most beneficial solution for your users. I can assist in doing so. Could you pls. provide a list of packages?

Tom

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 10:01, Tom M. wrote:

> > This begs the question, is having the two parallelly installable possible or not? [...] one of them is to change the installation targets, e.g. the binary name, the include directory locations of fluidsynth1 to avoid conflict with fluidsynth2.
>
> Only the include files would conflict. The libs are uniquely identified by their soversion.

Hi Tom,
In Fedora, the -devel packages contain an unversioned .so file which
is a symlink to the versioned .so file that sits in the -libs package.
This symlink would conflict also.

> The include files are part of the -devel package. If people don't install the -devel package, no such conflict should occur. I guess, your fear is that people do install the -devel package, while messing around with fluidsynth2? In this case, you're in trouble, I agree. And the only way to work-around this is to hack-around in cmake.

That's my conclusion as well; if we want users to install all
components of 1 and 2 simultaneously, we need to do some hacking.

> > ideas to solve the problem another way?
>
> Rather than spending time for a parallel-install-work-around, why not updating the API of the depending packages so that Fedora can finally update to fluidsynth2? This is the most beneficial solution for your users. I can assist in doing so. Could you pls. provide a list of packages?

I agree that this is the ideal solution. However the package list is
not small, which would make the maintenance of such patches
burdensome:

$ dnf -C repoquery --whatrequires fluidsynth-libs | grep -v
^fluidsynth | sed -e 's|-0:.*||' -e 's|-1:.*||' |uniq |sort
Last metadata expiration check: 3:11:05 ago on Mon Jan  6 18:14:02 2020.
ardour5
ardour5-audiobackend-alsa
ardour5-audiobackend-dummy
ardour5-audiobackend-jack
audacious-plugins-amidi
calf
Carla
Carla-vst
csound-fluidsynth
denemo
drumstick
gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-fluidsynth
lmms
lv2-carla
minuet
mpd
muse
prboom-plus
qsynth
scummvm
swami
tuxguitar
vlc

Note that not all packages above are maintained actively upstream.

Best,
Orcan

Re: fluidsynth 1&2 parallel installation

fluid-dev mailing list

After a quick source code review, the following programs have either already adopted the fluidsynth2 API upstream, or should work out-of-the-box:

ardour5

audacious-plugins-amidi (couldn't find source code, but successfully built by Debian Unstable)

calf

Carla (assuming Carla-vst and lv2-carla as well)

csound-fluidsynth

denemo

drumstick

gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-fluidsynth

lmms

mpd

muse

qsynth

swami

tuxguitar

vlc

scummvm

Programs that need an update:

minuet (https://phabricator.kde.org/source/minuet/browse/master/src/plugins/fluidsynthsoundcontroller/fluidsynthsoundcontroller.cpp)

prboom-plus (https://svn.prboom.org/repos/branches/prboom-plus-24/prboom2/src/MUSIC/flplayer.c)

...so, either cripple fluidsynth 1.1.11 or take the burden and patch a few lines of code in those two applications. I guess you'll vote for the "burden". In this case I'll try to find some time next weekend to create the patches.

Tom

Re: fluidsynth 1&2 parallel installation

fluid-dev mailing list

Patches for minuet and prboom submitted to upstream:

https://phabricator.kde.org/D26558

https://sourceforge.net/p/prboom-plus/patches/11/

Looking forward to seeing Rawhide switching to fluidsynth 2.1. In case you are experiencing problems, just let me know.

Tom

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 at 07:50, Tom M. wrote:

> Looking forward to seeing Rawhide switching to fluidsynth 2.1. In case you are experiencing problems, just let me know.

Thank you for your work Tom. I finally managed to finish all the
(re)builds against fluidsynth 2.1 in rawhide. Fedora 33 and later will
have fluidsynth 2.1 as the only fluidsynth. FYI

Best,
Orcan

Re: fluidsynth 1&2 parallel installation

fluid-dev mailing list
Awesome, thanks Orcan!