getting started in xlog

Art

getting started in xlog

Art
Hi all

I'm trying to get started with xlog.

I installed the program, configured the preferences and entered an
initial qso.

However, when I click 'save', nothing happens. When I close the program,
there is only one file in the .xlog folder, which is a configuration file.

There should be a log file somewhere in the folder, with a single
contact listed. However, there is nothing there except the configuration
file.

How do I store and examine my log entries?

I should note that I am not trying to log in realtime, I am trying to
enter data from my paper logs in order to get started with computerized
logging.

The help file contains only a single page, which is the introduction. I
do not know how to find the help file and web searches only find other
programs named xlog, they're not related to amateur radio logging however.

Help.

TY

Art

Re: getting started in xlog

Ed-19
On 1/15/19 12:27 PM, Art wrote:
[...]

Ctrl+W writes the entry to the log. Save is used to save the log. Did you create the log ?

Ed

Art

Re: getting started in xlog

Art
On 1/15/19 1:58 PM, Ed wrote:

> On 1/15/19 12:27 PM, Art wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm trying to get started with xlog.
>>
>> I installed the program, configured the preferences and entered an
>> initial qso.
>>
>> However, when I click 'save', nothing happens. When I close the program,
>> there is only one file in the .xlog folder, which is a configuration file.
>>
>> There should be a log file somewhere in the folder, with a single
>> contact listed. However, there is nothing there except the configuration
>> file.
>>
>> How do I store and examine my log entries?
>>
>> I should note that I am not trying to log in realtime, I am trying to
>> enter data from my paper logs in order to get started with computerized
>> logging.
>>
>> The help file contains only a single page, which is the introduction. I
>> do not know how to find the help file and web searches only find other
>> programs named xlog, they're not related to amateur radio logging however.
>>
>> Help.
>>
>> TY
>>
>> Art
>>

> Ctrl+W writes the entry to the log. Save is used to save the log. Did
> you create the log ?
>
> Ed

Hi Ed,

The program creates a log by default, and says it is in the .xlog folder
in my home directory. However, there is nothing there, except the
configuration file.

Must I manually create an empty log myself, then write the contacts to it?

Are there docs for the program?? I've searched hard for it, but found
very little.

TY.

Art

PS:I am trying xlog based on a youtube video from a user that I know to
provide good recommendations. But, he is unreachable via email::>

Re: getting started in xlog

Ed-19

Ctrl+W writes the entry to the log. Save is used to save the log. Did
you create the log ?

Ed

Hi Ed,

The program creates a log by default, and says it is in the .xlog folder
in my home directory. However, there is nothing there, except the
configuration file.

Must I manually create an empty log myself, then write the contacts to it?

Are there docs for the program?? I've searched hard for it, but found
very little.

TY.

Art

It only creates the /.xlog folder. Under log click on New, that is how you create the log.

I think you need Javascript installed to view all of this.

file:///usr/share/doc/xlog/manual/output/html/index.html
Ed W3NR

Re: getting started in xlog

Andy Stewart-2
On 1/15/19 5:36 PM, Ed wrote:

> I think you need Javascript installed to view all of this.
>
>> file:///usr/share/doc/xlog/manual/output/html/index.html
> Ed W3NR

If one built directly from source, the path is "/usr/local/share....", but that
detail doesn't matter, since the documentation is available from the
Help...Documentation menu at the top of the Xlog GUI.

Thanks, Art, for trying the Xlog software!

73,

Andy

--
Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)
Founder:   Worcester Linux Users' Group

Re: getting started in xlog

Andy Stewart-2
On 1/19/19 9:29 PM, Andy Stewart wrote:

> On 1/15/19 5:36 PM, Ed wrote:
>>
>> I think you need Javascript installed to view all of this.
>>
>>> file:///usr/share/doc/xlog/manual/output/html/index.html
>> Ed W3NR
>
> If one built directly from source, the path is "/usr/local/share....", but that
> detail doesn't matter, since the documentation is available from the
> Help...Documentation menu at the top of the Xlog GUI.

Sorry...the correct menu is Help...Manual.

73,

Andy