glasses and it_coins

Mark Pulley-2
Is there a way to set a particular it_coin to transform into glasses
with particular spotting qualities? (And if not, should this be added?)

I can use wo["ExtralifeGlasses"] for all coins, but I can't find a way
to set particular coins to spot particular things. I tried using
state=SPOT_HOLLOW on the coin but it didn't like it (state for coins
currently defines the coin value). The main thing I want to prevent is
the use of the extralife in the inventory to make the glasses,
although I was planning for two coins in the level, with only one
being useful for glasses. The shortcut I'm using so far is

wo["ExtralifeGlasses"] = SPOT_HOLLOW (etc)
wo["ProvideExtralifes"] = false

but I'm hoping not to give too much away by the absence of the extralives.

Mark P.
"They offered to transport me back to any point in history that I would
  care to go, and so I had them send me back to last Thursday night, so
  I could pay my phone bill on time."
  (Weird Al Yankovic, "Everything You Know Is Wrong")

Re: glasses and it_coins

Ronald Lamprecht
Hi,

Mark Pulley wrote:
> Is there a way to set a particular it_coin to transform into glasses
> with particular spotting qualities? (And if not, should this be added?)

No, all large it_coin transform to the same it_extralife objects and
finally to one sort of it_glasses that is determined by the global
attribute.

Nevertheless user attributes attached to unique a coin instance will
surive transformations. The final it_glasses will still have the values
of "name" and any user attribute of the coin. Even though an author
could use this feature to reset the "state" attribute of an it_glasses
within a ot_timer callback, I do not recommend this solution in this
case. The user does not expect identical looking coins to transform to
different glasses, as it is no feature of Enigma. The level would need
sufficient hints to justify such an exception.

> I can use wo["ExtralifeGlasses"] for all coins, but I can't find a way
> to set particular coins to spot particular things. I tried using
> state=SPOT_HOLLOW on the coin but it didn't like it (state for coins
> currently defines the coin value). The main thing I want to prevent is
> the use of the extralife in the inventory to make the glasses, although
> I was planning for two coins in the level, with only one being useful
> for glasses. The shortcut I'm using so far is
>
> wo["ExtralifeGlasses"] = SPOT_HOLLOW (etc)
> wo["ProvideExtralifes"] = false

The object that you should use for such transformations is the
it_surprise. The user knows that instances of it_surprise can transform
to quite different objects.

ti["g"] = {"it_glasses", state=SPOT_HOLLOW}
ti["s"] = {"it_surprise", selection={"=g"}}

will give you an object that transforms to a unique sort of glasses.

> but I'm hoping not to give too much away by the absence of the extralives.

With the it_surprise usage you can still provide extralives that
transform to useless sort of glasses.

Greets,

Ronald