gluster safe ugpgrade

Roman
Hello dear devs team!

I'm sorry to write to you, not user-s list, but I really would like to have DEV's opinion on my issue.

I've got multiple solutions running on old gluster versions (same version per cluster, no mixed versions in same cluster):

Some of them are: 3.7.19, 3.10.9, 3.8.15

Yeah, I'm the geek who likes gluster from its beginning. I've started with glusterfs for KVM (proxmox) and now am running glusterfs for Tallinn University Academic Library digitalization project (NAS) which runs fully at 1gbps without any problems. One of gluster is running 250 TB storage and it has to be extended, it is the DISTRIBUTED VOLUME :). I could go the easy way and get 3.8.15 from old releases of gluster repo, but i don't feel it to be the right way. What I would really like to do is:
1. upgrade OS atm it is  Debian GNU/Linux 8.10
2. upgrade the glusterfs

So my question is: what is the safe gluster version I could upgrade to from my versions? I will do the offline upgrade. And what my steps would be right? As I can see it:

1. shutdown gluster on all servers
2. upgrade os and gluster (change repo file for both os and glusterfs version supported on that os and safe to upgrade to, run apt-get dist upgrade)

As you understand, there is no possibility to backup that ammount of data (the time it would take is not acceptable). We have some data copied periodically to national archive, but not all of it.

What do you think on this?

--
Best regards,
Roman.

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: gluster safe ugpgrade

Ravishankar N

On 20/01/20 2:13 pm, Roman wrote:
[...]

As long as you are upgrading, it is better to use the latest version (7.x).  While nothing should go wrong, since 3.x is really old, I'm not 100% sure if everything will be smooth post the upgrade. The best way is to create a small 'test' setup (maybe a 1 brick volume with 1 client and some data) and try upgrading it to 7.x , bump up to the right op-version etc. and verify that every thing works. If it does, then you can do the actual offline upgrade in peace.

Hope this helps,

Ravi