gmail oauth requirement coming

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gmail oauth requirement coming

Jude DaShiell
By 2021 from what I read all gmail access will have to be done through
oauth.  If I understand this correctly device passwords for less secure
apps will be going away too.  If an email app hasn't got oauth capability
the only solution I can foresee is to have all gmail forwarded to a
different email address which doesn't require oauth to access it.
Warnings about change from what I understand will start in June of 2020.



--


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gmail oauth requirement coming

Ken Hornstein-2
>By 2021 from what I read all gmail access will have to be done through
>oauth.  If I understand this correctly device passwords for less secure
>apps will be going away too.  If an email app hasn't got oauth capability
>the only solution I can foresee is to have all gmail forwarded to a
>different email address which doesn't require oauth to access it.
>Warnings about change from what I understand will start in June of 2020.

I believe we're good, at least from a protocol standpoint (thanks for
the heads up!); we implemewnt XOAUTH2 and I know people are using it.
I am not sure if we need to implement any other protocols, but I don't
believe they are hard.

But ... guys, I am not sure if our API key is registered properly with
Gmail anymore.  I recall some messages saying that our privacy policy
was rejected, or something like that.  I'm not part of the "nmh"
organization that Google knows about.  David, do you remember more
about that?

--Ken

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gmail oauth requirement coming

Jude DaShiell
a gmail connect howto will probably need writing for sending and
receiving gmail with nmh if not already available.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 10:34:09
> From: Ken Hornstein <[hidden email]>
> To: Jude DaShiell <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: gmail oauth requirement coming
>
> >By 2021 from what I read all gmail access will have to be done through
> >oauth.  If I understand this correctly device passwords for less secure
> >apps will be going away too.  If an email app hasn't got oauth capability
> >the only solution I can foresee is to have all gmail forwarded to a
> >different email address which doesn't require oauth to access it.
> >Warnings about change from what I understand will start in June of 2020.
>
> I believe we're good, at least from a protocol standpoint (thanks for
> the heads up!); we implemewnt XOAUTH2 and I know people are using it.
> I am not sure if we need to implement any other protocols, but I don't
> believe they are hard.
>
> But ... guys, I am not sure if our API key is registered properly with
> Gmail anymore.  I recall some messages saying that our privacy policy
> was rejected, or something like that.  I'm not part of the "nmh"
> organization that Google knows about.  David, do you remember more
> about that?
>
> --Ken
>

--


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gmail oauth requirement coming

Ralph Corderoy
In reply to this post by Ken Hornstein-2
Hi Ken,

> I recall some messages saying that our privacy policy was rejected, or
> something like that.

Is that to do with the off-list thread starting with message ID
<[hidden email]> that involved Eric
Gillespie?

--
Cheers, Ralph.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gmail oauth requirement coming

Ken Hornstein-2
>> I recall some messages saying that our privacy policy was rejected, or
>> something like that.
>
>Is that to do with the off-list thread starting with message ID
><[hidden email]> that involved Eric
>Gillespie?

Yes, that was it!  Was that ever resolved?  I am not sure.

--Ken

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gmail oauth requirement coming

Ralph Corderoy
Hi Ken,

> > <[hidden email]> that involved Eric
> > Gillespie?
>
> Yes, that was it!  Was that ever resolved?  I am not sure.

Not that I'm aware, but then I was just a middleman shuffling emails
about.  Eric or David might know.

--
Cheers, Ralph.