gnokii configuration for Nokia 6230i on Ubuntu 16.04

gnokii configuration for Nokia 6230i on Ubuntu 16.04

Dan Lindfield

Struggling to get gnokii to interface with my Nokia 6230i through USB Nokia cable. Got past the serial device "Permission Denied" by changing permissions "sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyACM0" but then get either "Device or resource busy" or "Initialization failed (6) - Telephone interface init failed: Function or connection type not supported by the phone or by the phone driver". Can anyone help understand what is missing? Is it an issue with the cdc-acm driver and compatibility with phonet on my particular Ubuntu build?

gnokii --identify provides the following output:
  1. [for connection = serial]
    GNOKII Version 0.6.31
    LOG: debug mask is 0x1
    Config read from file /home/****/.gnokiirc.
    phone instance config:
    model = AT
    port = /dev/ttyACM0
    connection = serial
    initlength = default
    serial_baudrate = 19200
    serial_write_usleep = -1
    handshake = software
    require_dcd = 0
    smsc_timeout = 10
    rfcomm_channel = 0
    sm_retry = 0
    Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
    Serial device: opening device /dev/ttyACM0
    Gnokii serial_open: open: Device or resource busy
    Couldn't open ATBUS device: Device or resource busy
    AT bus initialization failed (1)
    Initialization failed (1)

    Serial device: closing device
    Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
    Quitting.
    Command failed.

    [for connection = phonet, dku2libusb, dlr3p, dku5, dku2, dau9p]

    GNOKII Version 0.6.31
    LOG: debug mask is 0x1
    Config read from file /home/danixeddu/.gnokiirc.
    phone instance config:
    model = AT
    port = /dev/ttyACM0
    connection = phonet
    initlength = default
    serial_baudrate = 19200
    serial_write_usleep = -1
    handshake = software
    require_dcd = 0
    smsc_timeout = 10
    rfcomm_channel = 0
    sm_retry = 0
    Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
    Initialization failed (6)
    Serial device: closing device
    Telephone interface init failed: Function or connection type not supported by the phone or by the phone driver.

    Quitting.
    Function or connection type not supported by the phone or by the phone driver.

    dmesg provides the following detail

    [23446.450136] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 12 using ehci-pci
    [23446.564904] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0421, idProduct=0428
    [23446.564907] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [23446.564908] usb 1-1.2: Product: Nokia 6230i
    [23446.564910] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Nokia
    [23446.614562] cdc_acm 1-1.2:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

    gnokiirc config file looks like this (non #lines):

    [global]
    port = /dev/ttyACM0
    model = AT
    initlength = default
    connection = phonet (also tried serial, dku2libusb, dlr3p, dku5, dku2, dau9p)
    use_locking = yes
    serial_baudrate = 19200
    smsc_timeout = 10

    [xgnokii]
    allow_breakage = 0

    [gnokiid]
    bindir = /usr/local/sbin/

    [connect_script]
    TELEPHONE = 12345678

    [debuging]
    debug = on
    rlpdebug = off
    xdebug = off

    [phone_fake]
    port = foobar
    model = fake
    connection = serial

    [fake_driver]
    sms_inbox = /tmp/sms

Re: gnokii configuration for Nokia 6230i on Ubuntu 16.04

Pawel Kot
Hi Dan,

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 2:43 PM Dan Lindfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Struggling to get gnokii to interface with my Nokia 6230i through USB
> Nokia cable. Got past the serial device "Permission Denied" by
> changing permissions "sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyACM0" but then get either
> "Device or resource busy" or "Initialization failed (6) - Telephone
> interface init failed: Function or connection type not supported by
> the phone or by the phone driver". Can anyone help understand what is
> missing? Is it an issue with the cdc-acm driver and compatibility with
> phonet on my particular Ubuntu build?

I'm quite not sure how Linux kernels work these days but please try hints from:

Cheers,
PaweĊ‚

Re: gnokii configuration for Nokia 6230i on Ubuntu 16.04

Baurzhan Ismagulov
On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 10:35:19AM +0100, Dan Lindfield wrote:
> Struggling to get *gnokii* to interface with my Nokia 6230i through USB
> get either "Device or
> resource busy" or "Initialization failed (6) - Telephone interface init
> failed: Function or connection type not supported by the phone or by the
> phone driver".
>    model = AT
>    connection = phonet (also tried serial, dku2libusb, dlr3p, dku5, dku2,
>    dau9p*)*

I had it working with model = 6230 and connection = dku2libusb:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2007-02/msg00083.html

It was not very reliable due to corroded contacts on the phone side. Also,
Gnokii had a Unicode conversion issue, but that has been fixed.

Meanwhile, I've switched to Bluetooth (couldn't find the original mail):

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2014-12/msg00004.html

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.

Re: gnokii configuration for Nokia 6230i on Ubuntu 16.04

denis
Hi.

I never used Nokia and I always use it with serial or Bluetooth.

rebooting my phone solved issues like this.

Just a shot in the dark.

If you still have issues and want to use serial,  send config and output.

Re: gnokii configuration for Nokia 6230i on Ubuntu 16.04

Ladislav Michl
On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 10:35:19AM +0100, Dan Lindfield wrote:
> Struggling to get *gnokii* to interface with my Nokia 6230i through USB
> Nokia cable. Got past the serial device "Permission Denied" by changing
> permissions "sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyACM0" but then get either "Device or
> resource busy" or "Initialization failed (6) - Telephone interface init
> failed: Function or connection type not supported by the phone or by the
> phone driver". Can anyone help understand what is missing? Is it an issue
> with the cdc-acm driver and compatibility with phonet on my particular
> Ubuntu build?

-EBUSY suggests something else might keep ttyACM0 opened. ModemManager for
example? I'd suggest you use lsof utility to verify that.

Best regards,
        ladis

Re: gnokii configuration for Nokia 6230i on Ubuntu 16.04

Roberto Verzola
This is my config file for 6220 and it worked.The 6220 is gone now
unfortunately. I used bluetooth. I'm not sure if it will also work with
6230. Try to make it work with bluetooth first. If you manage to do it,
try USB next.

Roberto

# This is a sample ~/.gnokiirc file.  Copy it into your
# home directory and name it .gnokiirc.
# See http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Config for working examples.
# Configuration for Globe SIM

[global]

# Set port to the physical port used to connect to your phone.
# Linux version is:
#port = /dev/ttyS1
#port = /dev/ttyS0
port = 00:22:fc:63:22:ab

# Set model to the model number of your phone. For the
# Symbian phones use:
# model = AT

# For other non-Nokia phones and when you want to use AT
# mode use:
model = AT

# If you can't figure out what to put here read the FAQ.
# If it still doesn't help, consult gnokii-ml or #gnokii at freenode.
# model = series40
# model = series60

# There are few main models that should make use of the certain drivers.
# These are: 6110, 7110, 6510, 3110, 2110, 6160.

# Initlength controls the number of characters sent to the
# phone during initialisation.  You can either set it to
# the word "default" or a positive integer.
#
# You can try setting this value if you want to connect
# to the phone quicker.  If you've never noticed the
# connection to be slow, it is suggested that you
# leave this alone.  Read the initialisation code in fbus-xxxx
# to understand what this changes if you're curious.
initlength = default

# The type of the connection, for IR set this to infrared or irda.
# For the nk6110 driver only infrared is valid for the IrDA connection.
# See Docs/gnokii-ir-howto for more detailes on this.
# If you have 6210/6250/7110 phone and dau9p cable (the one you can
# use with 6100 series and cannot use hardware modem from the phone)
# you may want to use 'dau9p' value to get faster initialization.
# If you use dlr3 or dlr3p cable for nokia phones in FBUS mode (ie.
# you don't use model = AT) you may want to use 'dlr3p' value here.
# Note that it is recommended and currently the best way to use this
# cable with nk6510 driver.
#connection = dlr3p
connection = bluetooth

# Set this to 'yes' if you want gnokii to set and check the lock file in
# /var/lock directory. It avoids potential conflicts with other serial
# port software (eg. minicom). If you have wrong permissions for the
# directory, a warning will be generated. If you don't want a lockfile, set
# it to 'no'.
use_locking = yes

# Baudrate to use on serial port connections.
# Currently used only by models AT and BIP/CIMD. Defaults to 19200.
serial_baudrate = 19200

# Force waiting after each send character the specified usec time.
# Value -1 forces the fastest 'block' writing,
# value 0 writes each character separately without any explicite waiting,
# other positive values specify the appropriate 1/1000000 sec delaying.
# Siemens M20 requires at least "1"!  FIXME: Model-driven autodetection
#serial_write_usleep = 10000

# Force serial port handshaking mode, useful primarily for "AT" model.
# Gnokii "AT" model uses software handshake by default.
# Possible values: hardware (RTS/CTS - 7 wires) or software (XON/XOFF - 3
wires)
#handshake = software

# If defined (not commented out by '#') it will quit Gnokii anytime
# when DCD line will drop.
#require_dcd = 1

# If you are using a bluetooth connection, you can specify the rfcomm
# channel number here. Default value is 1.
#rfcomm_channel = 1

# There may happen various timeouts during the communication with the phone.
# This parameter enables the retransmission policy. Ie. if the phone doesn't
# respond, we send the frame again. This happend mainly with the older
# phones. You may want to enable it when you see mysterious timeouts.
# Be very carefull with this option. It is suspected to cause phone breakage
# with new DCT4 phones (like Nokia 6100). By default it is switched off
# (sm_retry = 0)
#sm_retry = 1

# Run the specified script(s) right after opening and initializing the device
# and before any communication (right before closing for disconnect_script).
# You may find handy to use it to connect your modem to SMS Center
# when using BIP or CIMD protocols
# Non-absolute path is relative to the specific directory where gnokii is
run!
#connect_script = /absolute/path/to/gnokii/Docs/sample/cimd-connect
#disconnect_script =

# When sending SMS you can experience timeouts. This is the feature of the
# overloaded SMSCs. The phones waits for the response from the SMSC
confirming
# that it received the short message. When the SMSC is DoSed with many
requests
# it will take more time to get the response. Adjust it to your needs. The
# value is given in seconds to wait. Defaults to 10 seconds. Set to 0 to wait
# forever.
smsc_timeout = 10

# Set bindir to point to the location of the various gnokiid binaries.
# In particular ensure that mgnokiidev is in this location, with
# permissions 4750, owned by root, group gnokii.  Ensure you
# are in the gnokii group and that the group exists...
[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/local/sbin/

# Any entries in the following two sections will be set as environment
# variables when running the scripts.
# Handy for use for $VAR substitutions in your chat(8) script.
[connect_script]
TELEPHONE = 09213131717
[disconnect_script]

# The following parameters control how libgnokii handle the debugging
messages.
# Currently there are three categories: "debug" controls the libgnokii
# normal debug output, "rlpdebug" controls the debug output of the RLP
# subsystem, and "xdebug" is used by the xgnokii or smsd.

[logging]

# where to log the debug output (on: stderr, off: /dev/null)
debug = off

# where to log the rlp debug output (on: stderr, off: /dev/null)
rlpdebug = off

# where to log X debug output (on: stderr, off: /dev/null)
xdebug = off