how to use verify command?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi,

I'm testing the 'duplicity verify' command, and get confusing results...

I'm running the command on a server which is not the server from which the data is backed-up. I'm doing:

duplicity verify file://backups/duplicity /etc/hostname

The hostname is different, so I would expect to get an error, but exit status is 0 and output is:

Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
Last full backup date: Thu Mar 16 14:55:54 2017
GnuPG passphrase:
Verify complete: 17936 files compared, 0 differences found.

Did I misunderstand something here?

Thanks

Raphaël

Re: how to use verify command?

duplicity-talk mailing list
But my example should have raised an error, no? The file /etc/hostname on the host I run the verify command is different from that file in the backup. I thought it would at least find one different.

Raphaël

GnuPG passphrase:
Verify complete: 17936 files compared, 0 differences found.

Did I misunderstand something here?

Thanks

Raphaël

Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

Re: how to use verify command?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Raph,

the manpage seems to be out of date on verify. verify nowadays only restores to a temp path and checks if the result matches the checksum saved during backup.

if you really want to compare you will need to add the --compare-data parameter.

to restrict comparision to a folder/file you will need to add the --file-to-restore parameter.

something like
  duplicity verify --compare-data --file-to-restore /etc/hostname file://backups/duplicity /
assuming that '/' the fs root was your initial backup source on the other machine.

..ede/duply.net

On 27.03.2017 07:55, Raphael Bauduin via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> But my example should have raised an error, no? The file /etc/hostname on the host I run the verify command is different from that file in the backup. I thought it would at least find one different.
>
> Raphaël
>
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Kenneth Loafman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     duplicity does not check hostname unless you are backing up, so every command except 'full' and 'inc' should work without error.
>
>     ...Ken
>

>     On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Raphael Bauduin via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I'm testing the 'duplicity verify' command, and get confusing results...
>
>         I'm running the command on a server which is not the server from which the data is backed-up. I'm doing:
>
>         duplicity verify file://backups/duplicity /etc/hostname
>
>         The hostname is different, so I would expect to get an error, but exit status is 0 and output is:
>
>         Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
>         Last full backup date: Thu Mar 16 14:55:54 2017
>         GnuPG passphrase:
>         Verify complete: 17936 files compared, 0 differences found.
>
>         Did I misunderstand something here?
>
>         Thanks
>
>         Raphaël

> Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
> Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

Re: how to use verify command?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi,

checksum verification is sufficient for me, thanks for the clarification.

raphaël

On <a href="tel:27.03.2017%2007" value="+12703201707">27.03.2017 07:55, Raphael Bauduin via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> But my example should have raised an error, no? The file /etc/hostname on the host I run the verify command is different from that file in the backup. I thought it would at least find one different.
>
> Raphaël
>
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Kenneth Loafman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     duplicity does not check hostname unless you are backing up, so every command except 'full' and 'inc' should work without error.
>
>     ...Ken
>

>     On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Raphael Bauduin via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I'm testing the 'duplicity verify' command, and get confusing results...
>
>         I'm running the command on a server which is not the server from which the data is backed-up. I'm doing:
>
>         duplicity verify file://backups/duplicity /etc/hostname
>
>         The hostname is different, so I would expect to get an error, but exit status is 0 and output is:
>
>         Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
>         Last full backup date: Thu Mar 16 14:55:54 2017
>         GnuPG passphrase:
>         Verify complete: 17936 files compared, 0 differences found.
>
>         Did I misunderstand something here?
>
>         Thanks
>
>         Raphaël

> Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
> Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

Re: how to use verify command?

duplicity-talk mailing list
So, if I do an incremental backup, there is no verify command to just
verify the files I just backed up?  Otherwise verify is not that
useful as it must verify everything.

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 05:20:29 -0400,
edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Raph,
>
> the manpage seems to be out of date on verify. verify nowadays only restores to a temp path and checks if the result matches the checksum saved during backup.
>
> if you really want to compare you will need to add the --compare-data parameter.
>
> to restrict comparision to a folder/file you will need to add the --file-to-restore parameter.
>
> something like
>   duplicity verify --compare-data --file-to-restore /etc/hostname file://backups/duplicity /
> assuming that '/' the fs root was your initial backup source on the other machine.
>
> ..ede/duply.net
>

> On 27.03.2017 07:55, Raphael Bauduin via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> > But my example should have raised an error, no? The file /etc/hostname on the host I run the verify command is different from that file in the backup. I thought it would at least find one different.
> >
> > Raphaël
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Kenneth Loafman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     duplicity does not check hostname unless you are backing up, so every command except 'full' and 'inc' should work without error.
> >
> >     ...Ken
> >

> >     On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Raphael Bauduin via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >         Hi,
> >
> >         I'm testing the 'duplicity verify' command, and get confusing results...
> >
> >         I'm running the command on a server which is not the server from which the data is backed-up. I'm doing:
> >
> >         duplicity verify file://backups/duplicity /etc/hostname
> >
> >         The hostname is different, so I would expect to get an error, but exit status is 0 and output is:
> >
> >         Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
> >         Last full backup date: Thu Mar 16 14:55:54 2017
> >         GnuPG passphrase:
> >         Verify complete: 17936 files compared, 0 differences found.
> >
> >         Did I misunderstand something here?
> >
> >         Thanks
> >
> >         Raphaël

> > --
> > Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
> > Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: how to use verify command?

duplicity-talk mailing list
John,

right, verify works on the complete backup or a subset given by --file-to-restore . this might not be highly optimized, but is useful as far as you will know if your chain up to now (or time given) is corrupted or not.

afaik files marked as deleted will not be restored and checked.. ede/duply.net

On 27.03.2017 12:41, John Covici wrote:

> So, if I do an incremental backup, there is no verify command to just
> verify the files I just backed up?  Otherwise verify is not that
> useful as it must verify everything.
>

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 05:20:29 -0400,
> edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>
>> Raph,
>>
>> the manpage seems to be out of date on verify. verify nowadays only restores to a temp path and checks if the result matches the checksum saved during backup.
>>
>> if you really want to compare you will need to add the --compare-data parameter.
>>
>> to restrict comparision to a folder/file you will need to add the --file-to-restore parameter.
>>
>> something like
>>   duplicity verify --compare-data --file-to-restore /etc/hostname file://backups/duplicity /
>> assuming that '/' the fs root was your initial backup source on the other machine.
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net
>>

>> On 27.03.2017 07:55, Raphael Bauduin via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>> But my example should have raised an error, no? The file /etc/hostname on the host I run the verify command is different from that file in the backup. I thought it would at least find one different.
>>>
>>> Raphaël
>>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Kenneth Loafman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     duplicity does not check hostname unless you are backing up, so every command except 'full' and 'inc' should work without error.
>>>
>>>     ...Ken
>>>

>>>     On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Raphael Bauduin via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         Hi,
>>>
>>>         I'm testing the 'duplicity verify' command, and get confusing results...
>>>
>>>         I'm running the command on a server which is not the server from which the data is backed-up. I'm doing:
>>>
>>>         duplicity verify file://backups/duplicity /etc/hostname
>>>
>>>         The hostname is different, so I would expect to get an error, but exit status is 0 and output is:
>>>
>>>         Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
>>>         Last full backup date: Thu Mar 16 14:55:54 2017
>>>         GnuPG passphrase:
>>>         Verify complete: 17936 files compared, 0 differences found.
>>>
>>>         Did I misunderstand something here?
>>>
>>>         Thanks
>>>
>>>         Raphaël

>>> --
>>> Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
>>> Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

Re: how to use verify command?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hello John/Edgar,

On 27/03/17 11:47, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> John,
>
> right, verify works on the complete backup or a subset given by --file-to-restore . this might not be highly optimized, but is useful as far as you will know if your chain up to now (or time given) is corrupted or not.
>
> afaik files marked as deleted will not be restored and checked.. ede/duply.net
>
> On 27.03.2017 12:41, John Covici wrote:
>> So, if I do an incremental backup, there is no verify command to just
>> verify the files I just backed up?  Otherwise verify is not that
>> useful as it must verify everything.

Yes, Edgar is right. This is actually the topic of an old bug report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/982902

My current feeling is that the existing behaviour is sensible. As
mentioned above, you could take note of which files duplicity backed up
during an incremental and pass these to --file-to-restore. That would be
far safer than just verifying the incremental (if such a thing were
possible), as it would also check that the parts of the backup chain
that the incremental depended on for those files.

Kind regards,

Aaron