ignore file access error

Martin Mazur
Hello everyone,

for a few weeks I am using rdiff-backup and I am very happy with it.

 From time to time Cron is sending me errors like this:

UpdateError website/logs/ssl_access.log Updated mirror temp file
/var/data/backup/www/website/logs/rdiff-backup.tmp.213 does not match
source

Since there is not much I can do about this error I don't wont it to be
displayed. Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks & best regards

Martin

--
Martin Mazur

Re: ignore file access error

Dominic Raferd-3
Martin:

See the response on this issue at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2004-06/msg00071.html
by Ben Escoto who wrote the original rdiff-backup:

> The error is probably caused by files changing as rdiff-backup
> processes them.  If this happens, rdiff-backup doesn't touch the file
> for the session, leaving it as it was previously.  See
> http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/error_policy.html  for more
> information.
>
> You could just ignore these errors, and assume that rdiff-backup will
> eventually find the file not changing under it.  Another, possibly
> more principled, option is to use LVM snapshots or something similar
> (I have no experience with these though).

I've never seen this error message myself but then I always backup from
snapshots - Windows and Linux :-)

Regards, Dominic

--
*TimeDicer* <http://www.timedicer.co.uk>: Free File Recovery from Whenever

Re: ignore file access error

Chris Wilson-5
Hi all,

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014, Dominic Raferd wrote:

> On 13/03/2014 20:23, Martin Mazur wrote:
>>
>> for a few weeks I am using rdiff-backup and I am very happy with it.
>>
>>   From time to time Cron is sending me errors like this:
>>
>> UpdateError website/logs/ssl_access.log Updated mirror temp file
>> /var/data/backup/www/website/logs/rdiff-backup.tmp.213 does not match
>> source
>>
>> Since there is not much I can do about this error I don't wont it to be
>> displayed. Is there a way of doing this?

As Dominic (and Ben Escoto) said, the best way to actually fix this is to
backup from LVM snapshots or xfs freeze. Other workarounds include:

* exclude files from your backup that change often,

* or make an unchanging copy somewhere for backup (mysqlhotcopy etc.),

* live with the fact that they will sometimes/often/never be backed up.

Personally I hide these errors by piping the output of rdiff-backup into
grep:

         rdiff-backup \
                 --exclude-device-files \
                 source dest \
                 2>&1 | grep -v "^UpdateError .* Updated mirror temp file
.* does not match source"

(the grep expression should be all on one line, not wrapped by my email
client).

You can filter out more specific patterns, such as /var/log, so that you
don't get caught out when your important documents and virtual machine
images aren't backed up because your applications are modifying them all
the time.

Cheers, Chris.
--
_____ __     _
\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <[hidden email]> Cambs UK |

Re: ignore file access error

Marcus Schopen
Hi Martin,

Am Donnerstag, den 13.03.2014, 21:23 +0100 schrieb Martin Mazur:

> Hello everyone,
>
> for a few weeks I am using rdiff-backup and I am very happy with it.
>
>  From time to time Cron is sending me errors like this:
>
> UpdateError website/logs/ssl_access.log Updated mirror temp file
> /var/data/backup/www/website/logs/rdiff-backup.tmp.213 does not match
> source
>
> Since there is not much I can do about this error I don't wont it to be
> displayed. Is there a way of doing this?

Do do see those messages too (especially on fast changing Apache
logfiles), but only on machines working without LVM snaps.

Ciao
Marcus

Re: ignore file access error

Martin Mazur
Am 2014-03-14 14:03, schrieb Chris Wilson:

> Hi all,
>
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2014, Dominic Raferd wrote:
>> On 13/03/2014 20:23, Martin Mazur wrote:
>>> for a few weeks I am using rdiff-backup and I am very happy with
>>> it.
>>>
>>>   From time to time Cron is sending me errors like this:
>>> UpdateError website/logs/ssl_access.log Updated mirror temp file
>>> /var/data/backup/www/website/logs/rdiff-backup.tmp.213 does not
>>> match
>>> source
>>> Since there is not much I can do about this error I don't wont it
>>> to be
>>> displayed. Is there a way of doing this?
>
> As Dominic (and Ben Escoto) said, the best way to actually fix this
> is to backup from LVM snapshots or xfs freeze. Other workarounds
> include:
>
> * exclude files from your backup that change often,
>
> * or make an unchanging copy somewhere for backup (mysqlhotcopy
> etc.),
>
> * live with the fact that they will sometimes/often/never be backed
> up.
>
> Personally I hide these errors by piping the output of rdiff-backup
> into grep:
>
>         rdiff-backup \
>                 --exclude-device-files \
>                 source dest \
>                 2>&1 | grep -v "^UpdateError .* Updated mirror temp
> file .* does not match source"
>
> (the grep expression should be all on one line, not wrapped by my
> email client).
>
> You can filter out more specific patterns, such as /var/log, so that
> you don't get caught out when your important documents and virtual
> machine images aren't backed up because your applications are
> modifying them all the time.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

Thanks everyone for your answer. I thought the error is about a files
being updated during backup. Chris approach to grep is very nice and
will fit my needs. It's just log files and they can be backup up after
rotating.

Best regards

Martin

--