keys.nayr.net - Maintenance & New Host

Ryan Hunt-3
Greetings Fellow KeyServer Operators.
 This weekend my networks in Morrison Colorado will be undergoing a significant upgrade, as a result my key-server will be temporary unavailable while the new equipment is being put in place.

The IPv6 Address will likely change, the IPv4 address will remain the same, the server may revert to IPv4 only for a short time to keep the overall interruption to a minimum.

I am introducing a new hostname for this SKS Server, pgp.webtru.st. The original hostname of keys.nayr.net will remain, and all the http ports will redirect you to the new hostname.

Please update the host as soon as convenient.. or not, within the next year I will be deploying another SKS server at a different location and this second server will then assume the identity of keys.nayr.net.

The outage should begin shortly before noon tomorrow MST, if anyone is still having issues peering with my server after 24h please let me know.

Cheers,
-Ryan Hunt

Admin - |nayr|NETworks|

Re: keys.nayr.net - Maintenance & New Host (signed)

Ryan Hunt-3

Re: keys.nayr.net - Maintenance & New Host

Kim Minh Kaplan
Ryan :

> I am introducing a new hostname for this SKS Server, pgp.webtru.st. The original hostname of keys.nayr.net will remain, and all the http ports will redirect you to the new hostname.
>
> Please update the host as soon as convenient.. or not, within the next year I will be deploying another SKS server at a different location and this second server will then assume the identity of keys.nayr.net.

Note that the SKS reconciliation process does *not* follow HTTP
redirections¹.  Is there any particular reason you can not update your
domain name to the new IPs?

Phil, could you add on the Peering page that for maintainability such as
this case the domain name used for peering should be dedicated to the
SKS service?

Kim Minh.
¹ http://code.google.com/p/sks-keyserver/source/browse/reconComm.ml

Re: keys.nayr.net - Maintenance & New Host

Ryan Hunt-3
The recon port will not be redirected, only if you hit my webserver on 80/443.. its just a header-rewrite through php.. so its really only a redirect if you hit the index, anything deeper will be proxied w/out being redirected.

both pgp.webtru.st and keys.nayr.net will point to the current IPv4 and the new IPv6.. they will essentially be the same.  The plan is at some point in the future to separate the 2 hosts into 2 unique sks servers at separate locations, this will include a high-avability setup where each server can take the load of the other in the event of an outage.

Ive got 3 racks at another location in town, but the server room is currently under construction, but sometime in 2010 I expect to move the majority of my services to this new location. This weekend is the first step in preparation to make the move without any significant downtime.

Everyone can stay peered to keys.nayr.net for all I am concerned, I am sure you guys will peer w/the new domain when the services separate. This is more of a heads up incase anyone notices the redirect and wonders if Ive been hijacked.

Cheers,
-R

On Dec 12, 2009, at 12:57 AM, Kim Minh Kaplan wrote:

> Ryan :
>
>> I am introducing a new hostname for this SKS Server, pgp.webtru.st. The original hostname of keys.nayr.net will remain, and all the http ports will redirect you to the new hostname.
>>
>> Please update the host as soon as convenient.. or not, within the next year I will be deploying another SKS server at a different location and this second server will then assume the identity of keys.nayr.net.
>
> Note that the SKS reconciliation process does *not* follow HTTP
> redirections¹.  Is there any particular reason you can not update your
> domain name to the new IPs?
>
> Phil, could you add on the Peering page that for maintainability such as
> this case the domain name used for peering should be dedicated to the
> SKS service?
>
> Kim Minh.
> ¹ http://code.google.com/p/sks-keyserver/source/browse/reconComm.ml

Re: keys.nayr.net - Maintenance & New Host (signed)

Kiss Gabor (Bitman)