linking published html day pages

Mirko Vukovic
Hello,

(Sorry if you get this twice, my first post did not make it to the list)

Within emacs, it is straightforward to move from one day-page to the next.

However, when viewing the day pages are published in html, one would have to
explicitly open the previous/following page in the browser.

Is it possible to publish pages with automatic links to the next and
previous published day pages?

Thanks,

Mirko

Re: linking published html day pages

Raymond Zeitler-3
Some users use planner for their blogs, and they have "previous / next"
links.

I'm thinking primarily of Sacha Chua (who now uses WordPress, IIRC).

I don't know whether this is accomplished with planner/muse or custom code.

There are muse modules that facilitate blogging such as muse-Blosxom and
muse-journal.  You might find useful code in either of those optional
packages.  Also try searching for Emacs blog on the Internet.

All of the above is merely a guess.  The only reason I'm posting is because
your previous post did make it to the list and went un-answered.

Good luck!

--
Raymond Zeitler <[hidden email]>

Re: linking published html day pages

Xin Shi-3
Hi Mirko,

I had the same request before, but still didn't got an satisfied solution yet in terms of having a link or previous and next day link.

Right now, I'm using the planner-calendar to generate a month calendar for each month, and for each day page, I have a link on top to the that month.

calendar > 2008 > October

In the October page, the muse code is:

  <calendar page="2008.10.01">

Hope that helps.

Xin

Raymond Zeitler wrote:

> Some users use planner for their blogs, and they have "previous / next"
> links.
>
> I'm thinking primarily of Sacha Chua (who now uses WordPress, IIRC).
>
> I don't know whether this is accomplished with planner/muse or custom code.
>
> There are muse modules that facilitate blogging such as muse-Blosxom and
> muse-journal.  You might find useful code in either of those optional
> packages.  Also try searching for Emacs blog on the Internet.
>
> All of the above is merely a guess.  The only reason I'm posting is because
> your previous post did make it to the list and went un-answered.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Raymond Zeitler <[hidden email]>

Suno Ano
 Mirko> However, when viewing the day pages are published in html, one
 Mirko> would have to explicitly open the previous/following page in the
 Mirko> browser.

That is exactly why we need muse respectively planner to put links into
html output to link a sequence of day pages together so they can be
navigated (within the webbrowser) in a linear manner i.e. forwards and
backwards.

 Mirko> Is it possible to publish pages with automatic links to the next
 Mirko> and previous published day pages?

Not yet afaict. However, this subject has come up before but nothing
happened i.e. no code has been written to implement this. Would my elisp
skills allow for it, I would have been written the code months ago.

Where to go from here? Well, I have this on my to do list but it might
take another year or two until I find time to improve my elisp skills to
a level that enables me to write this code.

    When eating an elephant take one bite at a time
          -- Gen. C. Abrams

Of course, if there is some elisp wizard reading this right, he might
find that trivial to implement ... I just do not know elisp well and
have pretty much zero knowledge of the overall muse/planner codebase but
then that is the reason why I want improve my elisp skills anyways ...

See, it is a misery ...

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Suno Ano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Mirko> However, when viewing the day pages are published in html, one
>  Mirko> would have to explicitly open the previous/following page in the
>  Mirko> browser.
>
> That is exactly why we need muse respectively planner to put links into
> html output to link a sequence of day pages together so they can be
> navigated (within the webbrowser) in a linear manner i.e. forwards and
> backwards.

One problem: you may need to recompile the code if a page gets
inserted/removed.  This suggests a java implementation as the most
natural:  The daily web-page would by itself figure out which is the
next day page.

>  Mirko> Is it possible to publish pages with automatic links to the next
>  Mirko> and previous published day pages?
>
> Not yet afaict. However, this subject has come up before but nothing
> happened i.e. no code has been written to implement this. Would my elisp
> skills allow for it, I would have been written the code months ago.
>
> Where to go from here? Well, I have this on my to do list but it might
> take another year or two until I find time to improve my elisp skills to
> a level that enables me to write this code.
>
>    When eating an elephant take one bite at a time
>          -- Gen. C. Abrams
>
> Of course, if there is some elisp wizard reading this right, he might
> find that trivial to implement ... I just do not know elisp well and
> have pretty much zero knowledge of the overall muse/planner codebase but
> then that is the reason why I want improve my elisp skills anyways ...

Any wizards out there willing to guide a burgler and his fellow dwarfs
on this adventure?  I could try my hand at elisp coding (I've dabbled
in elisp now & then, but I do common-lisp most days)

I suspect that the best way to do it is to implement an option to the
publishing code.  It could use the same code base as for navigating
from one day page to the next to get the file, and then insert links.

But my knowledge of HTML is nil, so it would be good if someone could
post a snippet of the html link format.

I still think the best way is with embedded java to automatically go
to the next day page.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Xin Shi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mirko,
>
> I had the same request before, but still didn't got an satisfied solution yet in terms of having a link or previous and next day link.
>
> Right now, I'm using the planner-calendar to generate a month calendar for each month, and for each day page, I have a link on top to the that month.
>
> calendar > 2008 > October
>
> In the October page, the muse code is:
>
>  <calendar page="2008.10.01">
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Xin

Thanks.  I will look into it.

Michael Herstine <sp1ff@pobox.com>
Hi Mirko,

> [snip]
>
> Within emacs, it is straightforward to move from one day-page to the next.
>
> However, when viewing the day pages are published in html, one would have to
> explicitly open the previous/following page in the browser.
>
> Is it possible to publish pages with automatic links to the next and
> previous published day pages?

If I understand tou correctly, I accomplish this using a little lisp:

(setq planner-day-page-template

The first set of links will be published in HTML, the second give me
forward & backward links in muse-mode.

HTH,

--
  Michael <[hidden email]>

       web o http://www.unwoundstack.com
       ICQ o 198685593

Re: linking published html day pages

Mirko Vukovic
On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Michael Herstine <[hidden email]>
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mirko,
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Within emacs, it is straightforward to move from one day-page to the next.
>>
>> However, when viewing the day pages are published in html, one would have to
>> explicitly open the previous/following page in the browser.
>>
>> Is it possible to publish pages with automatic links to the next and
>> previous published day pages?
>

> If I understand tou correctly, I accomplish this using a little lisp:
>
> (setq planner-day-page-template
>
> The first set of links will be published in HTML, the second give me
> forward & backward links in muse-mode.
>
> HTH,

Michael,

that is indeed what I was looking for.  It is not the perfect solution
(I mentioned, the perfect one is where the browser would look for the
one (which would involve java-scripting), I will post it.

Thank you very much,

Mirko