linphonec

Chris Baechle-2
I've been searching for awhile for a command line sip phone or sip library. There are some really good c and c++ libraries available. However, it seems the high level scripting world has been left behind (ruby,perl,python,bash).

The best canidate I've found has been linphonec. Has anyone used linphonec for scripting? It would seem overly complicated to do so, but I don't see much other choice. It would probably require expect to manipulate the linphonec console and another thread to manipulate sound.

This would be useful for automated calls. Things like wakeup calls, confirmation with a client before a meeting, use your imagination. Asterisk doesn't seem to have the ability to act as a very scriptable sip client (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm sure the combined knowledge of this list could result in enough information for a solution that would be useful for a lot people.

Re: linphonec

Simon Morlat
Hello,

linphonec is currently being improved, and I know there are already people
using it within scripts. Linphonec can control everything: both sound and
signaling.

Simon

On 1/12/06, Simon Morlat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

linphonec is currently being improved,

Awesome. It's really the only good cli sip phone I've seen and I'm sure helps a lot of people.

and I know there are already people
using it within scripts.

How are they doing it? Using expect? I don't know the direction linphonec is taking, but it would be nice for a lot of the commands available on the linphonec console be available as arguments. That way you can script something like
$linphonec --call '[hidden email]' --snd-input mymessage.wav
That, imho would make it much easier to do simple bash scripting. Then all you'd need is a properly set up ~/.linphonec file.

Linphonec can control everything: both sound and
signaling.

I should have been more specific. My reasoning was to have one thread manipulate linphone, and the other to pipe a raw sound file to the microphone device (such as a prerecorded wake up call). Admittedly, I've never done this and don't know if it would be the best direction to take. But I didn't see any other way for linphonec to recieve sound than listening on the microphone /dev device.

I think linphone and linphonec are great. Those two things however would make scripting immensly easier and simplier. If there were a way to take input from a wav file (or record out to a wav file), and if all the console commands were available as arguments.

Simon

Le Jeudi 12 Janvier 2006 04:09, Chris Baechle a écrit:

> I've been searching for awhile for a command line sip phone or sip library.
> There are some really good c and c++ libraries available. However, it seems
> the high level scripting world has been left behind
> (ruby,perl,python,bash).
>
> The best canidate I've found has been linphonec. Has anyone used linphonec
> for scripting? It would seem overly complicated to do so, but I don't see
> much other choice. It would probably require expect to manipulate the
> linphonec console and another thread to manipulate sound.
>
> This would be useful for automated calls. Things like wakeup calls,
> confirmation with a client before a meeting, use your imagination. Asterisk
> doesn't seem to have the ability to act as a very scriptable sip client
> (please correct me if I'm wrong).
>

> I'm sure the combined knowledge of this list could result in enough
> information for a solution that would be useful for a lot people.

Re: linphonec

Simon Morlat

> $linphonec --call 'sip:[hidden email]' --snd-input mymessage.wav
> That, imho would make it much easier to do simple bash scripting. Then all
> you'd need is a properly set up ~/.linphonec file.

Somebody recently send me a patch to do non-interactive calls, with auto
answer option too.

The capability to send/recv a stream from/to a file is missing currently.
This is something we can add on the TODO list.

Simon

> Linphonec can control everything: both sound and
>
> > signaling.
>
> I should have been more specific. My reasoning was to have one thread
> manipulate linphone, and the other to pipe a raw sound file to the
> microphone device (such as a prerecorded wake up call). Admittedly, I've
> never done this and don't know if it would be the best direction to take.
> But I didn't see any other way for linphonec to recieve sound than
> listening on the microphone /dev device.
>
> I think linphone and linphonec are great. Those two things however would
> make scripting immensly easier and simplier. If there were a way to take
> input from a wav file (or record out to a wav file), and if all the console
> commands were available as arguments.
>

> Simon
>
> > Le Jeudi 12 Janvier 2006 04:09, Chris Baechle a écrit:
> > > I've been searching for awhile for a command line sip phone or sip
> >
> > library.
> >
> > > There are some really good c and c++ libraries available. However, it
> >
> > seems
> >
> > > the high level scripting world has been left behind
> > > (ruby,perl,python,bash).
> > >
> > > The best canidate I've found has been linphonec. Has anyone used
> >
> > linphonec
> >
> > > for scripting? It would seem overly complicated to do so, but I don't
> >
> > see
> >
> > > much other choice. It would probably require expect to manipulate the
> > > linphonec console and another thread to manipulate sound.
> > >
> > > This would be useful for automated calls. Things like wakeup calls,
> > > confirmation with a client before a meeting, use your imagination.
> >
> > Asterisk
> >
> > > doesn't seem to have the ability to act as a very scriptable sip client
> > > (please correct me if I'm wrong).
> > >

> > > I'm sure the combined knowledge of this list could result in enough
> > > information for a solution that would be useful for a lot people.

RE: linphonec

Gareth Walters

>Somebody recently send me a patch to do non-interactive calls, with auto
>answer option too.

I tried aplying one these patches against 1.2.0.
I think the one on the list archives was for 1.0.1
and met with little success.

>The capability to send/recv a stream from/to a file is missing currently.
>This is something we can add on the TODO list.

It would be an excellent addition.
My plan was to use it as part of a notification system for nagios.

---Gareth

Re: linphonec

Simon Morlat
Le Jeudi 12 Janvier 2006 22:48, Gareth Walters a écrit :
> >Somebody recently send me a patch to do non-interactive calls, with auto
> >answer option too.
>
> I tried aplying one these patches against 1.2.0.
> I think the one on the list archives was for 1.0.1
> and met with little success.
Those patches are already applied in CVS. You can check out and build from
cvs.
Simon

cross compiling linphonec

Raja M.
Hi All,

I am trying to cross compile linphone without gui support for ARM9.

Has anybody has already done this and ppoint any reference for
dependencies?

Regards
Raja Mallik