looking for free fonts with aftertouch and/or more than one bank

looking for free fonts with aftertouch and/or more than one bank

Alexandre Torres Porres
Hi, I'm working on an external for Pd and want to test channel and key aftertouch, so I'm looking for a free font that uses it, anyone knows any? While we're at it, I also need to test a font with more than one bank.

thanks

Re: looking for free fonts with aftertouch and/or more than one bank

Alexandre Torres Porres
I found a font with channel aftertouch pressure and it works fine, but if I try the same font with polyphonic (key) aftertouch pressure, it doesn't work. I guess it's not automatic that a font that uses channel aftertouch will just work with key aftertouch, right? So I needed a font that supports key aftertouch and I guess that may be really rare, huh?

thanks

Em dom., 10 de jan. de 2021 às 16:47, Alexandre Torres Porres <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi, I'm working on an external for Pd and want to test channel and key aftertouch, so I'm looking for a free font that uses it, anyone knows any? While we're at it, I also need to test a font with more than one bank.

thanks

Re: looking for free fonts with aftertouch and/or more than one bank

Ceresa Jean-Jacques

>I found a font with channel aftertouch pressure and it works fine, but if I try the same font with polyphonic (key) aftertouch pressure, it doesn't work. I guess it's not automatic that a font that uses channel aftertouch will just work with key aftertouch, right?

Right. Assuming you are using any SF2 soundfont synthesizer, the soundfont must contain a "modulator" to capture "polyphonic (key) aftertouch pressure" MIDI event and route this event to a given "generator". If this kind of "modulator-to-generator" doesn't exist, the synthesizer does nothing when it receives this "key aftertouch pressure" MIDI event. You can add any "modulator(s)" yourself by editing the soundfont. If you are unfamiliar to Soundfont SF2 concepts please read SFAPP21.PDF then sfspec24.pdf.

jjc.

Em dom., 10 de jan. de 2021 às 22:56, Ceresa Jean-Jacques <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Right. Assuming you are using any SF2 soundfont synthesizer, the soundfont must contain a "modulator" to capture "polyphonic (key) aftertouch pressure" MIDI event and route this event to a given "generator". If this kind of "modulator-to-generator" doesn't exist, the synthesizer does nothing when it receives this "key aftertouch pressure" MIDI event. You can add any "modulator(s)" yourself by editing the soundfont. If you are unfamiliar to Soundfont SF2 concepts please read SFAPP21.PDF then sfspec24.pdf.

I see, thanks. Worst case scenario, I can try it myself so I can test it, which I guess will be what it takes, cause I don't bet I'll find a font with that :)

Now, I'm just landing here, this is my project https://github.com/porres/pd-fluidsynth by the way, a Pd object that loads fluidsynth. Forgive me if I'm too newbie, but I'd also like to know more about "generators" since you mentioned it. With my object, I can send "generator" messages directly to fluidsynth and I'm wondering how to test them. I see gen 17 is pan, for example, but it didn't seem to work for me. What is the input range for those, 0-127 as well? Does the soundfont need to have this enabled somehow? I should also edit the soundfont to test those?

thanks

Re: looking for free fonts with aftertouch and/or more than one bank

Ceresa Jean-Jacques

>I see gen 17 is pan, for example, but it didn't seem to work for me. What is the input range for those, 0-127 as well? Does the soundfont need to have this enabled somehow? I should also edit the soundfont to test those?

For the pan generator (17) you don't need to edit the soundfont because there are always a set of default "modulator-to-generator" ready to use. The list of default modulator is given in chapter 8.4. For example in 8.4.6 you see that there is a default modulator called "MIDI Continuous Controller 10 to Pan Position". That means that the pan will be controlled by sending MIDI CC 10 (0 to 127) to the synthesizer. The same is true for the modulator "MIDI Continuous Controller 7 to Initial Attenuation" (see 8.4.5) with which you control the volume of the note by sending MIDI CC 7 value. For those CC where there is no default "modulator-to-generator" you need to edit the soundfont and add the required modulator.

jjc

Re: looking for free fonts with aftertouch and/or more than one bank

Ceresa Jean-Jacques

>Forgive me if I'm too newbie, but I'd also like to know more about "generators" since you mentioned it.

Please go to https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/wiki/SoundFont  and read "introduction to soundfont".

jjc