lost encryption key

duplicity-talk mailing list

I lost files on a dead HD on my ubuntu Linux computer.  My duplicity backup was encrypted with a gpg key on a different computer.

Unfortunately the encryption SSL key files were among the lost files (~/.gnupg/ lost).

Duplicity givens an error “CollectionsError: no signature chains found”.

It is hopeless because I lost the key and I have no revocation certificate.  Although I have access to the individual duplicity files “duplicity-full.*difftar.gpg” files.

But I am holding onto a thin thread of hope that experts on this list may be able to help me.  Can you think of a way around it?  Thanks,

Yuelin.

Please note that this e-mail and any files transmitted from
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center may be privileged, confidential,
and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of
you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or other use of this communication or any of its attachments
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message
and deleting this message, any attachments, and all copies and backups
from your computer.

Re: lost encryption key

duplicity-talk mailing list
Sorry, without the keys nothing can be done, as far as I know.

Next time, backup your keys, and keep them up-to-date.

...Ken

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 2:30 PM, liy12--- via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

btw. there is the possibility to encrypt against several keys. encrypting against different public keys allows you to use your very personal public key which you usually keep very safe redundantly somewhere allowing you to decrypt your backup whatever happens ;)

..ede/duply.net