mediastreamer stutter for dropped UDP packets

mediastreamer stutter for dropped UDP packets

Craig McQueen
I'm using mediastreamer v2.0.0 with a voice application in a Wi-Fi network. It's working fairly well in nominal operation, however...

When the received Wi-Fi signal is weak so that incoming packets are going missing, we hear a "stuttering" which sounds as though the last received packet may be being repeated over and over again, for several seconds. I would rather that it doesn't repeat the last packet indefinitely, which sounds bad, but just goes silent instead.

I found this:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/linphone-users/2011-12/msg00080.html

which made me think perhaps using a zero value for the jitt_comp parameter of audio_stream_start_with_sndcards() could cause this behaviour. And using a non-zero value should prevent such endless repeating of the last received packet. So I tried values of 20 and 200 for the jitt_comp parameter. But that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is there some way to control the way mediastreamer behaves regarding missing UDP packets?

Also, is there some way to get status on missing packets?

Thanks,
Craig McQueen

mediastreamer stutter for dropped UDP packets

Craig McQueen
I'm using mediastreamer v2.8.2 with a voice application in a Wi-Fi network. It's working fairly well in nominal operation, however...

[...]

At first I thought it was entirely a mediastreamer function. But now I think the stutter is caused by the ALSA driver when the application (mediastreamer/oRTP in this case) is not writing new audio data into the ALSA audio buffer.

Thanks,
Craig McQueen