migrated to new hard drive, now rdiff-backup sees everything as new

migrated to new hard drive, now rdiff-backup sees everything as new

Stan Schymanski
Dear all,

I installed a new hard drive and used rsync to copy my home directory
across, but when I first ran rdiff-backup on the new hard drive, it saw
everything as new and all previously backed-up files as missing. How can
I make rdiff-backup recognise the moved files as the same as the
previously backed up ones? I do not want to start over from scratch,
otherwise I'd lose previous incremental backups.

Thanks for your help!

Re: migrated to new hard drive, now rdiff-backup sees everything as new

me-96
Hello,
That would help if you could tell
- which OS
- whick rdiff-backup version
- which options you used for the rsync
- if user/group permissions may have changed
Nicolas

Le 28/03/2013 20:44, Stan Schymanski a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I installed a new hard drive and used rsync to copy my home directory
> across, but when I first ran rdiff-backup on the new hard drive, it
> saw everything as new and all previously backed-up files as missing.
> How can I make rdiff-backup recognise the moved files as the same as
> the previously backed up ones? I do not want to start over from
> scratch, otherwise I'd lose previous incremental backups.
>
> Thanks for your help!

> Wiki URL:
> http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki

Re: migrated to new hard drive, now rdiff-backup sees everything as new

Stan Schymanski
I just found this post again when facing the same situation after another hard drive upgrade. Only now I realised that the solution had been posted to me as a PM and that I had replied directly instead of to the list, so please find below the solution that worked for me.