minimal flexisip proxy configuration?

Brian J. Murrell
Does anyone have a minimal configuration for making flexisip a proxy to
another SIP server on the same machine?  For example, flexisip
listening on port 5061 and proxying for a SIP server on the same host
listening on port 5060.

I just can't seem to work out what needs to be configured to make this
work.

Cheers,
b.

Re: minimal flexisip proxy configuration?

Brian J. Murrell
On Sat, 2019-05-25 at 16:53 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Does anyone have a minimal configuration for making flexisip a proxy
> another SIP server on the same machine?  For example, flexisip
> listening on port 5061 and proxying for a SIP server on the same host
> listening on port 5060.
>
> I just can't seem to work out what needs to be configured to make
> this
> work.

Is nobody at all really using flexisip as a proxy to linphone clients
for a real PBX?

Cheers,
b.

Re: minimal flexisip proxy configuration?

Greg Troxel
"Brian J. Murrell" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sat, 2019-05-25 at 16:53 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> Does anyone have a minimal configuration for making flexisip a proxy
>> another SIP server on the same machine?  For example, flexisip
>> listening on port 5061 and proxying for a SIP server on the same host
>> listening on port 5060.
>>
>> I just can't seem to work out what needs to be configured to make
>> this
>> work.
>
> Is nobody at all really using flexisip as a proxy to linphone clients
> for a real PBX?

Not answering your question, but could you either explain the theory of
why one needs a proxy in front of a PBX, or point to something that
explains this?  I am not entirely up to speed on SIP practices, but it
seems like there is a culture of having lots of proxies far more than I
would have thought necessary.  A parallel puzzling web notion would be
that you can't use a browser to look at a website without a local squid
and a remove nginx front end.  I suspect this is simply a lack of
understanding on my part.

On Fri, 2019-05-31 at 08:04 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Not answering your question, but could you either explain the theory
> of
> why one needs a proxy in front of a PBX,

Because currently most PBXes (Asterisk included) have no concept of
transient/mobile devices that will sleep and disconnect themselves from
the network and need a "push" to be woken up before they will be ready
to receive an INVITE.

And yes, I am aware of the IETF's work in this area but TTBOMK there
are no actual implementations on either the SIP server/proxy side or
the client side, so for practical purposes, it's still just "a paper".

While I have hacked up some pretty decent (IMHO) push handling for my
Asterisk instance, it needs a customized build[1] of linphone to work
reliably and even then there is a high latency (2-4 rings heard by the
caller) before my mobile phone even starts ringing.

Whereas my experience with sip.linphone.org, which uses flexisip, is
that it's much more responsive with much lower latencies between the
call being sent to it and the mobile phone ringing.  They have already
done all of the heavy lifting of figuring out the handling of mobile
phones with push, etc. in a reliable manner that I simply want to take
advantage of that and not re-invent that wheel (even though I have for
the most part, but that was more out of interest and learning than a
desire to maintain such a thing on my own).

> I am not entirely up to speed on SIP practices, but
> it
> seems like there is a culture of having lots of proxies far more than
> would have thought necessary.

I don't think that's particularly true, particularly if you consider
that "SIP server" and "SIP proxy" are pretty much the same thing, as I
understand it.  So many people referring to SIP proxies are just
talking about PBXes through which they bridge SIP clients rather than
having the SIP clients talk to each other directly.

> A parallel puzzling web notion would be
> that you can't use a browser to look at a website without a local
> squid
> and a remove

Remote?

> nginx front end.

I'm not sure I see where the "remote nginx front end" is in the:

mobile_phone <-> flexisip <-> PBX

analogy.

But even otherwise, your analogy might be more accurate if you thought
about it as:

web_browser <-> HTTP2-to-HTTP1_proxy <-> HTTP1_website

where you stand up an HTTP2 proxy so that your browser enjoys the
benefits of version 2 of the HTTP protocol and lets the proxy handles
all of the "old crufty" version 1 HTTP interactions.

Not a very strong argument, given that all browsers that support HTTP 2
still handle version 1, but imagine a time in the future where a
browser drops support for version 1.  In any case it's just a more
parallel example of why one needs something like flexisip to handle the
complications of devices that most PBXes were just never designed to
handle.

Cheers,
b.

[1] A build of linphone that re-registers when it's woken by a push
message, even if it's already registered and within it's expiry, simply
to notify the PBX that it is awake and ready to receive the INVITE so
that the PBX doesn't send the INVITE too early and linphone misses it.

Re: minimal flexisip proxy configuration?

Sylvain Berfini

Hi,

Have you checked our wiki page about push gateway with flexisip ?

https://wiki.linphone.org/xwiki/wiki/public/view/Flexisip/Push%20Gateway/

Cheers,

Le 01/06/2019 à 13:28, Brian J. Murrell a écrit :
> [...]

parallel example of why one needs something like flexisip to handle the
complications of devices that most PBXes were just never designed to
handle.

Cheers,
b.

[1] A build of linphone that re-registers when it's woken by a push
message, even if it's already registered and within it's expiry, simply
to notify the PBX that it is awake and ready to receive the INVITE so
that the PBX doesn't send the INVITE too early and linphone misses it.

Re: minimal flexisip proxy configuration?

Greg Troxel
"Brian J. Murrell" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Because currently most PBXes (Asterisk included) have no concept of
> transient/mobile devices that will sleep and disconnect themselves from
> the network and need a "push" to be woken up before they will be ready

Thanks for the explanation and discussion.  I am guessing then that
fromt he point of view of Asterisk the user just registers once, and
when the user goes actually offline bug logically online the connection
to asterisk, including registration keepalives, continues, and the proxy
is then responsible for buffering the INVITE and waking up the client.

> I don't think that's particularly true, particularly if you consider
> that "SIP server" and "SIP proxy" are pretty much the same thing, as I
> understand it.  So many people referring to SIP proxies are just
> talking about PBXes through which they bridge SIP clients rather than
> having the SIP clients talk to each other directly.

That is part of why it is confusing, that people and programs talk of
configuring a "sip proxy" into their client, rather than "server" which
might or might not be a proxy.

> I'm not sure I see where the "remote nginx front end" is in the:
>
> mobile_phone <-> flexisip <-> PBX
>
> analogy.

It's flexisip; you can run a web server as a "reverse proxy" fronting a
web server, as opposed to a near-the-user squid which is a "(forward)
proxy".

As I understand it, "sip proxy" is usually near the server, but could
also be near the client for firewall traversal.

On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 11:41 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation and discussion.  I am guessing then that
> fromt he point of view of Asterisk the user just registers once,

Well, it's flexisip that registers to Asterisk on behalf of the user
and keeps the registration alive like a local hardwired SIP client
would, rather than the disappearing act that mobile phones do.

> and
> when the user goes actually offline bug logically online the
> connection
> to asterisk, including registration keepalives, continues,

Correct.  Flexisip, with all of it's reliability of being on the same
local network is the actual SIP client to Asterisk.

> and the proxy
> is then responsible for buffering the INVITE and waking up the
> client.

Exactly.

> That is part of why it is confusing, that people and programs talk of
> configuring a "sip proxy" into their client, rather than "server"
> which
> might or might not be a proxy.

Indeed.

> It's flexisip; you can run a web server as a "reverse proxy" fronting
> web server, as opposed to a near-the-user squid which is a "(forward)
> proxy".

Yeah.  In your analogy then, I guess you'd drop the squid proxy.  My
alteration of your analogy could still be pretty much the same except
that instead of it being the web-browser user that stands up an HTTP
2.x -> HTTP 1.x proxy for all of his browsing, it's the web-server
owner standing up the HTTP 2.x -> HTTP 1.x proxy in front his "crufty
old" HTTP 1.x-only-capable web server to provide an HTTP 2.x service to
browsers.

Presumably this would just be a temporary situation until he could get
a native HTTP 2.x web server stood up much like in the SIP world, we
are waiting for servers (and clients even) to implement native
transient (i.e. mobile phone) SIP client handling.

> As I understand it, "sip proxy" is usually near the server, but could
> also be near the client for firewall traversal.

I think you understanding is correct in both aspects.

On Sat, 2019-06-01 at 18:50 +0200, Sylvain Berfini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have you checked our wiki page about push gateway with flexisip ?
>
> https://wiki.linphone.org/xwiki/wiki/public/view/Flexisip/Push%20Gateway/

Yes, I have.  Many times.  It's very high-level and general and doesn't
really provide any kind of example configuration of how to configure
flexisip to proxy for another, existing PBX on the same machine (i.e.
so already using standard SIP ports, etc.).

The example above for a push gateway doesn't even touch on many/most of
the required push configuration items like how to configure the push
credentials, etc.  IOW, the example provided supposedly how to
configure a push gateway is incomplete even for the push module
settings, never mind how to have it proxy for another PBX.

Ultimately what I was hoping for was a *complete* example of a
flexisip.conf proxying for another PBX, not a quite incomplete skeleton
of a small number of the many required configuration items.

Some more *complete* examples of common configurations, such as the one
I am asking about, on the wiki would be immensely helpful.

Cheers,
b.