missing or invalid Authorization header

Thomas Lau
 error    : HttpRequest: access denied -- client 127.0.0.1: missing or invalid Authorization header

I keep seeing this on my log, anyone have idea why?

--
Thomas Lau
Director of Infrastructure

Direct: +852-3976-8903
Mobile: +852-9323-9670
Address: Suite 2716, Two IFC, Central, Hong Kong

Re: missing or invalid Authorization header

martinp@tildeslash.com
Hello Thomas,

this error is usually related to the first request the browser sends, as the browser doesn't "know" yet, that authorization is required. Monit sends a "401" response and browser then repeats the request with Basic authentication (some browsers send multiple requests in parallel, for example for favicon, so Monit may log two such errors at once). See for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_access_authentication if you are interested in how Basic authentication works.

We have lowered the priority of this message from "error" to "debug" in Monit 5.23.0, so it won't flood logs unless you enable the debug mode.

Best regards,
Martin