[monit-dev] Settle feature

David Kohen

Hello,
Although you recommended to ask before developing a feature, but we really need it, so I developed it anyway.

I call this feature settle, it's purpose is to allow a daemon to settle before it is monitored, it is mutually exclusive with "every" (not by definition, but in practice).
It uses the same syntax as "every" and to make it work I changed the behaviour of verify to check the monitor state and make it MONITOR_YES only in the next cycle.

We'd really love it if this feature will be integrated in your tree, as we're going to use it quite often.

BTW, the latest tree doesn't build due to a missing header, probably residue from libmonit.

David Kohen
Waze IFS team.

[monit-dev] Fwd: Settle feature

David Kohen
For some reason the patch was not attached properly, so here it is.

--

David Kohen
Waze IFS team.

settle.5.2.6.patch (9K) Download Attachment

Re: [monit-dev] Settle feature

Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Thank you very much. This looks useful. We are about to release a new version of Monit which changes every a bit, but it should not be too problematic to include this patch. We'll see if we can include this in later versions, not the upcoming 5.3 though.

Jan-Henrik

On Sep 1, 2011, at 6:54 PM, David Kohen wrote:

> Hello,
> Although you recommended to ask before developing a feature, but we really need it, so I developed it anyway.
>
> I call this feature settle, it's purpose is to allow a daemon to settle before it is monitored, it is mutually exclusive with "every" (not by definition, but in practice).
> It uses the same syntax as "every" and to make it work I changed the behaviour of verify to check the monitor state and make it MONITOR_YES only in the next cycle.
>
> We'd really love it if this feature will be integrated in your tree, as we're going to use it quite often.
>
> BTW, the latest tree doesn't build due to a missing header, probably residue from libmonit.
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> David Kohen
> Waze IFS team.

Re: [monit-dev] Settle feature

David Kohen
Is there anything we could do to get it to the 5.3 version?
If not, when is the version after it planned?

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 2 Sep <a href="tel:2011" value="+9722011">2011 00:04:52 +0200
From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
To: The monit developer list <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [monit-dev] Settle feature

--

David Kohen
Waze IFS team.

Re: [monit-dev] Settle feature

Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Hi

The 5.3 version is already finished and we are currently running systems test on it. We'll try to include the "settle" feature in a later release and integrate it with the new every timespec statement. I'm sorry, but I cannot be more specific about post 5.3 releases except "sometime" before christmas.

Best regards

On Sep 4, 2011, at 8:31 PM, David Kohen wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there anything we could do to get it to the 5.3 version?
> If not, when is the version after it planned?
>

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 00:04:52 +0200
> From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
> To: The monit developer list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [monit-dev] Settle feature
>
> Thank you very much. This looks useful. We are about to release a new version of Monit which changes every a bit, but it should not be too problematic to include this patch. We'll see if we can include this in later versions, not the upcoming 5.3 though.
>
> Jan-Henrik
>

> On Sep 1, 2011, at 6:54 PM, David Kohen wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Although you recommended to ask before developing a feature, but we really need it, so I developed it anyway.
> >
> > I call this feature settle, it's purpose is to allow a daemon to settle before it is monitored, it is mutually exclusive with "every" (not by definition, but in practice).
> > It uses the same syntax as "every" and to make it work I changed the behaviour of verify to check the monitor state and make it MONITOR_YES only in the next cycle.
> >
> > We'd really love it if this feature will be integrated in your tree, as we're going to use it quite often.
> >
> > BTW, the latest tree doesn't build due to a missing header, probably residue from libmonit.
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> >
> > David Kohen
> > Waze IFS team.