monotone 1.1 released

Markus Wanner-2
Hi,

the monotone team just released version 1.1 of its versions control
system. This is mainly a maintenance release, focusing on stability and
compatibility. It also fixes various bugs that have accumulated over the
years.

The sources are available from the usual location [0], static builds,
packages and installers should be available, shortly.

Here's the relevant portion from the NEWS file:

Changes

- '_MTN/wanted-testresults' must now have 1 hex-encoded
  signing key hash in lowercase per line.

New features

- 'automate atttributes' now also works without a workspace
  and returns the attributes for a specific file from the
  revision's manifest

- New 'erase_descendants' automate command which returns all
  input revisions, except those that are a descendant of
  another revision in the input.

- New 'min(A)' selector is now available which returns all
  revisions selected by A which are not descendants of other
  revisions selected by A.

- New 'not(A)' selector is now available which returns all
  revisions not selected by 'A'.

- All certs for a revision are now output by 'mtn log' with
  'suspend', 'testresult', and custom certs placed under a
  a new 'Other certs' heading.

- New conflict 'dropped/modified' allows explicitly resolving
  the case of a file that is dropped on one side of a merge,
  and modified on the other. Previously, the modifications
  were always lost; now you have the option of re-adding the
  file with the modifications during merge conflict
  resolution.

- New attribute 'mtn:resolve_conflict' allows specifying a
  persistent 'drop' conflict resolution for a dropped/modified
  conflict. This is useful in the case where the conflict will
  occur again in the future, for example when a file that is
  maintained in an upstream branch is not needed, and
  therefore dropped, in a local branch.

Bugs fixed

- Monotone now compiles against Botan 1.10.x (as well as most of
  the testing releases in 1.9.y).

- Struct file_handle got renamed to avoid clash with newer glibc's
  fcntl.h.

- Monotone now compiles just fine with gcc's option
  "-Werror=format-security."

- Fixed renaming across devices, for example if parts of the
  workspace are on NFS.

- Fixed recursive file removal on Solaris.

- Fixed a failure to revert some files when inodeprints is
  enabled.

- Fix an early abort in netsync on Windows, which caused
  problems transferring large files.

- Work around a 64-bit issue with mktime on Mac OS X for dates
  in 1901 and before.

- Allow an ssh_agent socket path including dashes.

- Monotone now works with Lua 5.2, even if it doesn't have
  backwards-compatibility compiled in.

- Various fixes for compatibility with newer boost versions.

- mtn add and mtn list are now more consistent in their use of
  --recursive and --unknown options.

- Produce a meaningful error message when trying to disapprove a
  root.

- Allow monotone to compile on platforms where MAXPATHLEN isn't
  defined (i.e. GNU/Hurd).

- Allow monotone to compile on C++11-enabled g++ and clang++.

- Allow the test suite to run on systems behind a broken DNS
  resolver and in cases where names cannot be resolved at all.

- Allow the test suite to run from directories containing
  spaces and lots of other minor tweaks to the test suite
  making its results more reliable.

Internal

- The performance and memory usage of regular expressions has
  been improved throughout. This affects any use of the
  ".mtn-ignore" file such as "mtn ls unknown" and "mtn add",
  and any calls to "regex.search" in Lua hooks.

Other

- 'mtn diff' now outputs old and new revision IDs in the diff
  header when both are specified.

- Additional Vim syntax files and an output colorization script
  in contrib.

On behalf of the monotone team,
Markus Wanner

[0] http://www.monotone.ca/downloads.php
[1] http://www.monotone.ca/NEWS

Re: monotone 1.1 released

Stephen Leake-3
Markus Wanner <[hidden email]> writes:

> the monotone team just released version 1.1 of its versions control
> system.

Excellent! Thanks for your work on this.

Will you be doing the win32 installer? I can build one from an msys2 32
bit build, if needed.

--
-- Stephe

Re: monotone 1.1 released

Markus Wanner-2
On 05/04/2014 03:20 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> Will you be doing the win32 installer? I can build one from an msys2 32
> bit build, if needed.

I'd appreciate if you do it. Thanks.

Markus

Re: monotone 1.1 released

Thomas Keller
Markus Wanner schrieb:
> the monotone team just released version 1.1 of its versions control
> system. This is mainly a maintenance release, focusing on stability and
> compatibility. It also fixes various bugs that have accumulated over the
> years.

Hi Markus!

Thanks for the effort!

> The sources are available from the usual location [0], static builds,
> packages and installers should be available, shortly.
>
> Here's the relevant portion from the NEWS file:

> - 'automate atttributes' now also works without a workspace
>   and returns the attributes for a specific file from the
>   revision's manifest

Oops, that was me that entered this passage three years ago, of course
there is no "automate atttributes", but only a "automate get_attributes"
command. I fixed and pushed this to nvm.

Also, I updated http://wiki.monotone.ca/AutomateVersions/ to reflect the
minor interface bump and documented the added / changed commands.

Lastly, I pushed an update to MacPorts, so monotone 1.1 should be
available via their ports tree soon-ish as well.

Thomas.

--
GPG-Key 0x160D1092 | [hidden email] | http://thomaskeller.biz

Re: monotone 1.1 released

Markus Wanner-2
Thomas,

On 05/05/2014 10:49 PM, Thomas Keller wrote:
> Oops, that was me that entered this passage three years ago, of course
> there is no "automate atttributes", but only a "automate get_attributes"
> command. I fixed and pushed this to nvm.

Thanks.

> Also, I updated http://wiki.monotone.ca/AutomateVersions/ to reflect the
> minor interface bump and documented the added / changed commands.

Oh, good point.

> Lastly, I pushed an update to MacPorts, so monotone 1.1 should be
> available via their ports tree soon-ish as well.

Great!

Shall we remove the Mac OS X Installer and Binary options from the
website's downloads site and recommend MacPorts? Or how do I build these
universal binaries?

Markus

Re: monotone 1.1 released

Thomas Keller
Markus Wanner schrieb:
> Great!
>
> Shall we remove the Mac OS X Installer and Binary options from the
> website's downloads site and recommend MacPorts? Or how do I build these
> universal binaries?

Building these universal binaries is a PITA (I think its still described
in mac/readme-mac.txt, but horrible outdated), since we depend on many
external libraries that need to be build and statically linked to us
beforehand. Its better to point users at MacPorts and later also to
Homebrew, once the latter has picked up 1.1 as well [0].

Thomas.

[0]
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/monotone.rb

--
GPG-Key 0x160D1092 | [hidden email] | http://thomaskeller.biz

Re: monotone 1.1 released

Stephen Leake-3
Markus Wanner <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 05/04/2014 03:20 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> Will you be doing the win32 installer? I can build one from an msys2 32
>> bit build, if needed.
>
> I'd appreciate if you do it. Thanks.

My ssh key has been lost from [hidden email], so I can't
upload.

How do we fix that?

--
-- Stephe

Re: monotone 1.1 released

Thomas Keller
Stephen Leake schrieb:
> Markus Wanner <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On 05/04/2014 03:20 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>>> Will you be doing the win32 installer? I can build one from an msys2 32
>>> bit build, if needed.
>> I'd appreciate if you do it. Thanks.
>
> My ssh key has been lost from [hidden email], so I can't
> upload.

Send me a new one via PM, I can set it up.

Thomas.

On 05/08/2014 11:04 AM, Thomas Keller wrote:
> Send me a new one via PM, I can set it up.

I think IPv6 vs. IPv4 was the issue. If you use IPv4, then port 22
doesn't get you onto code.monotone.ca.

Stephen: Can you upload the win32 installer, now?

Regards

Markus