monotone-viz problem

Hendrik Boom-2
On my devuan jessie system, when I start monotone-viz, it always pops
up a message,

        Could not parse dot output

Is there some subtle version copatibility problem here? Or some thing
weirder?

hendrik@notlookedfor:~/dv/im/slides$ mtn --version
monotone 1.1 (base revision: 81fa9664405655b13bde971bddd802de25096073)
hendrik@notlookedfor:~/dv/im/slides$ monotone-viz --version
monotone-viz 1.0.2 (base revision: )
Copyright (C) 2004-2006 Olivier Andrieu <[hidden email]>
hendrik@notlookedfor:~/dv/im/slides$

-- hendrik

Re: monotone-viz problem

Hendrik Boom-2
On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:50:56PM +0100, Anthony Edward Cooper wrote:
> Yes the dot format does change and get tweaked/updated. It has
> probably changed too much for the aging monotone-viz. Is monotone-vis
> still maintained? It's written in Occaml and as such I don't think it
> has been touched for years and is probably not maintained at all now.

Ocaml does not scare me.

> I'm being completely biased but mtn-browse also does graph
visualization like monotone-viz and much more besides. You could give that a go...

I neither was aware that mtn-browse existed, nor know where to find
it.

It does not appear to be in the Debian repositories, and googling it
provides me with methods to cheat MTN (whatever that is) to browse for
free.

What *is* the dot output, anyway?

-- hendrik

> Tony.
>
> On 23 June 2016 23:58:45 BST, Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >On my devuan jessie system, when I start monotone-viz, it always pops
> >up a message,
> >
> > Could not parse dot output
> >
> >Is there some subtle version copatibility problem here? Or some thing
> >weirder?
> >
> >hendrik@notlookedfor:~/dv/im/slides$ mtn --version
> >monotone 1.1 (base revision: 81fa9664405655b13bde971bddd802de25096073)
> >hendrik@notlookedfor:~/dv/im/slides$ monotone-viz --version
> >monotone-viz 1.0.2 (base revision: )
> >Copyright (C) 2004-2006 Olivier Andrieu <[hidden email]>
> >hendrik@notlookedfor:~/dv/im/slides$
> >
> >-- hendrik

> See www.coosoft.plus.com.

Re: monotone-viz problem

CooSoft Support

On 24 June 2016 23:04:38 BST, Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:50:56PM +0100, Anthony Edward Cooper wrote:
>> Yes the dot format does change and get tweaked/updated. It has
>> probably changed too much for the aging monotone-viz. Is monotone-vis
>
>> still maintained? It's written in Occaml and as such I don't think it
>
>> has been touched for years and is probably not maintained at all now.
>
>Ocaml does not scare me.
Then you could update monotone-viz😊...

>> I'm being completely biased but mtn-browse also does graph
>visualization like monotone-viz and much more besides. You could give
>that a go...
>
>I neither was aware that mtn-browse existed, nor know where to find
>it.
You can find it under GUI tools on the main monotone site and more specifically:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mtn-browse/

>It does not appear to be in the Debian repositories,

I wrote mtn-browse but haven't got involved in the packaging. There's only so much free time... Others have fine excellent work on packaging it for redhat, but that doesn't help you.

One can easily install mtn-browse under /opt and the installer will highlight missing dependencies.

and googling it
>provides me with methods to cheat MTN (whatever that is) to browse for
>free.

Yes I've noticed that as well...

>What *is* the dot output, anyway?
Dot is a part of graphviz and as such is a layout processor, given a list of geometric shapes and their links, it will generate an optimized graph layout. Both monotone-viz and mtn-browse use it the generate the graphs.

--
See www.coosoft.plus.com.

Re: monotone-viz problem

Markus Wanner-2
On 06/26/2016 09:22 PM, Anthony Edward Cooper wrote:
> I wrote mtn-browse but haven't got involved in the packaging. There's only so much free time... Others have fine excellent work on packaging it for redhat, but that doesn't help you.
>
> One can easily install mtn-browse under /opt and the installer will highlight missing dependencies.

Mind filing a RFP (request for packaging)?

I already maintain monotone and monotone-viz for Debian.

Regards

Markus Wanner

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: monotone-viz problem

Hendrik Boom-2
On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 09:43:42AM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
> On 06/26/2016 09:22 PM, Anthony Edward Cooper wrote:
> > I wrote mtn-browse but haven't got involved in the packaging. There's only so much free time... Others have fine excellent work on packaging it for redhat, but that doesn't help you.
> >
> > One can easily install mtn-browse under /opt and the installer will highlight missing dependencies.
>
> Mind filing a RFP (request for packaging)?
>
> I already maintain monotone and monotone-viz for Debian.

Should I file an official bug report?  Or is my note on the monotone
devel mailing list sufficient?

-- hendrik

Re: monotone-viz problem

Markus Wanner-2
On 06/28/2016 03:49 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> Should I file an official bug report?  Or is my note on the monotone
> devel mailing list sufficient?

It's sufficient for me to write the package. It helps in the package
getting accepted in Debian, if there's a third-party RFP. So, yes,
please file the "official" RFP. Thanks.

Regards

Markus Wanner

Re: monotone-viz problem

Hendrik Boom-2
On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 04:28:21PM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
> On 06/28/2016 03:49 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > Should I file an official bug report?  Or is my note on the monotone
> > devel mailing list sufficient?
>
> It's sufficient for me to write the package. It helps in the package
> getting accepted in Debian, if there's a third-party RFP. So, yes,
> please file the "official" RFP. Thanks.

Sorry.  I wasn't clear.  I was referring to the problem with
monotone-viz being unable to parse dot output.

Or should I invesigate the problem myself?  If so, where do I find the
upstream repository for monotone-viz?  Presumably there's a monotone
repository for it somewhere.

-- hendrik

Re: monotone-viz problem

Markus Wanner-2
On 06/28/2016 04:53 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> Sorry.  I wasn't clear.  I was referring to the problem with
> monotone-viz being unable to parse dot output.

Well, for that it would be better to file a bug for that specific project.

> Or should I invesigate the problem myself?  If so, where do I find the
> upstream repository for monotone-viz?  Presumably there's a monotone
> repository for it somewhere.

http://oandrieu.nerim.net/monotone-viz/

and branch net.venge.monotone-viz on code.monotone.ca, i.e. here:
https://code.monotone.ca/p/contrib/source/tree/h:net.venge.monotone-viz/

Kind Regards

Markus

Re: monotone-viz problem

Thomas Moschny
Hi Hendrik,

Am Tue, 28 Jun 2016 10:53:40 -0400
schrieb Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]>:

> Sorry.  I wasn't clear.  I was referring to the problem with
> monotone-viz being unable to parse dot output.

Does this patch help?
https://code.monotone.ca/p/contrib/source/commit/d6cc46621d47e465ce7d5d640dfa982cabeca537/

Regards,
Thomas

Re: monotone-viz problem

CooSoft Support
On 28/06/16 08:43, Markus Wanner wrote:

> On 06/26/2016 09:22 PM, Anthony Edward Cooper wrote:
>> I wrote mtn-browse but haven't got involved in the packaging. There's only so much free time... Others have fine excellent work on packaging it for redhat, but that doesn't help you.
>>
>> One can easily install mtn-browse under /opt and the installer will highlight missing dependencies.
> Mind filing a RFP (request for packaging)?
>
> I already maintain monotone and monotone-viz for Debian.
>
> Regards
>
> Markus Wanner

Many thanks for the offer. I'll file a request this weekend when I'm not
using a smartphone...