monotone-viz

Hendrik Boom-2
When I use monotone-viz I get the message
    Could not parse dot output

hendrik@notlookedfor:~/dv/text/mt3prod$ monotone-viz  --version
monotone-viz 1.0.2 (base revision: )
Copyright (C) 2004-2006 Olivier Andrieu <[hidden email]>
hendrik@notlookedfor:~/dv/text/mt3prod$

Is there some other program for visualizing the history of a monotone
repository?

Or has monotone-viz advanced beyond the one in my distro (Devuan, more
or less equivlent to  Debian stable, except for no systemd) and I should
get current source?

-- hendrik

Re: monotone-viz

Markus Wanner-2
On 02/28/2018 07:24 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> When I use monotone-viz I get the message
>     Could not parse dot output

IIRC I have similar issues with monotone-viz (Debian stable). I'm not
aware of any replacements.

Kind Regards

Markus Wanner

Re: monotone-viz

Hendrik Boom-2
On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 09:37:54PM +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:
> On 02/28/2018 07:24 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > When I use monotone-viz I get the message
> >     Could not parse dot output
>
> IIRC I have similar issues with monotone-viz (Debian stable). I'm not
> aware of any replacements.

My guess is that whatever produces or consumes tthe dot output, whatever
that is,  has been updated and is now incompatible with whatever
consumes or produces it.

-- hendrik

Re: Reviving nmonotone-viz

Hendrik Boom-2
On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 17:19:59 -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 09:37:54PM +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:
>> On 02/28/2018 07:24 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> > When I use monotone-viz I get the message
>> >     Could not parse dot output
>>
>> IIRC I have similar issues with monotone-viz (Debian stable). I'm not
>> aware of any replacements.
>
> My guess is that whatever produces or consumes the dot output, whatever
> that is,  has been updated and is now incompatible with whatever
> consumes or produces it.
>
> -- hendrik

Does anyone know what the dot output is?  What software consumes it?
What software produces it?  That might give me a clue where to look to
find out what has to be done.

Where is the source code repository for monotone-viz?

Who is in charge of it?

-- hendrik

Re: Reviving nmonotone-viz

Frédéric Praca-2
Hi,
usually dot files are graphviz files.
There are only text files that grahviz (http://www.graphviz.org/ ) takes as input to generate graphs.
Regarding the graphical output monotone-viz had, I'm pretty sure that is using graphviz.

I also found an old Debian issue about monotone-viz (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=573781 )
but I don't know if it's still related  to the viz problem.

About the location of monotone-viz source, I just found the page on Wayback machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160303205601/http://oandrieu.nerim.net/monotone-viz/

I thought that it was stored on monotone machine but I did'nt see it.

Regards
Fred

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 17:19:59 -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 09:37:54PM +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:
>> On 02/28/2018 07:24 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> > When I use monotone-viz I get the message
>> >     Could not parse dot output
>>
>> IIRC I have similar issues with monotone-viz (Debian stable). I'm not
>> aware of any replacements.
>
> My guess is that whatever produces or consumes the dot output, whatever
> that is,  has been updated and is now incompatible with whatever
> consumes or produces it.
>
> -- hendrik

Does anyone know what the dot output is?  What software consumes it?
What software produces it?  That might give me a clue where to look to
find out what has to be done.

Where is the source code repository for monotone-viz?

Who is in charge of it?

-- hendrik

Re: Reviving nmonotone-viz

Frédéric Praca-2
Well, monday is always a difficult day :D
Source IS on the monotone source server (https://code.monotone.ca/p/contrib/source/tree/h:net.venge.monotone-viz/ )
as described on the old webpage I gave.

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 17:19:59 -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 09:37:54PM +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:
>> On 02/28/2018 07:24 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> > When I use monotone-viz I get the message
>> >     Could not parse dot output
>>
>> IIRC I have similar issues with monotone-viz (Debian stable). I'm not
>> aware of any replacements.
>
> My guess is that whatever produces or consumes the dot output, whatever
> that is,  has been updated and is now incompatible with whatever
> consumes or produces it.
>
> -- hendrik

Does anyone know what the dot output is?  What software consumes it?
What software produces it?  That might give me a clue where to look to
find out what has to be done.

Where is the source code repository for monotone-viz?

Who is in charge of it?

-- hendrik

Re: Reviving nmonotone-viz

CooSoft Support
On 08/04/18 15:41, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 17:19:59 -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:

>>> IIRC I have similar issues with monotone-viz (Debian stable). I'm not
>>> aware of any replacements.
>> My guess is that whatever produces or consumes the dot output, whatever
>> that is,  has been updated and is now incompatible with whatever
>> consumes or produces it.
>>
>> -- hendrik
> Does anyone know what the dot output is?  What software consumes it?
> What software produces it?  That might give me a clue where to look to
> find out what has to be done.
>
> Where is the source code repository for monotone-viz?
>
> Who is in charge of it?
>
> -- hendrik

monotone-viz I believe has not been maintained for some time (~10 years)
and the dot format has changed over the years (if not in actual syntax
then certainly in layout). Also monotone-viz, being written in OCaml,
has had no one come forward to take on maintenance and thus it has
fallen into disuse. I can't find it's web site (which was top of the
search list when I last looked) and so I suspect the source is no longer
available directly. Maybe a source RPM/DEB exists that can be used?

Dot is graphical layout program and is part of graphviz, a completely
separate project that is used by monotone-viz, mtn-browse and _many_
other projects.

However mtn-browse, which I wrote so expect me to be completely biased!,
does contain the same graphing function with extra features that
integrate it into the rest of the browser. I can't guarantee that it
will work with the latest version of graphviz as they do keep changing
things unnecessarily and don't provide parsing libraries for assorted
programming languages. But over the years my parser has been changed to
make less assumptions about the dot layout and so is less likely to
break with newer versions (last checked on Ubuntu 14.04).

Details and downloads can be found here:

http://www.coosoft.plus.com/software.html

I was going to submit this for Debian packaging but there seemed to be
minimal interest. Even mtn itself broke on Ubuntu 14.04 and I had to
hold back the botan library to fix it... Don't get me wrong I MUCH
prefer mtn over git any day, I think it's a far superior product but we
seem to be stuck with git these days. It's like VHS and Betamax all over
again :-(.

If there is interest then I'll submit it for packaging.

If there are issues with dot parsing then please raise a ticket here:

https://code.monotone.ca/p/mtn-browse/

stating the version of graphviz being used, OS version etc.

HTH,

Tony.

Re: Reviving nmonotone-viz

grarpamp