muse-latex.el and beamer: frame vs. verbatim

muse-latex.el and beamer: frame vs. verbatim

Philipp Grau
Hello,

I just run into a problem with the publish style "slides":

,----[ test.muse ]---
| <slide title="test">
|
| <example>
| test
| </example>
|
| </slide>
`----

Output:

,----[ parts from test.tex ]---
| \begin{frame}
| \frametitle{test}
|
| \begin{quote}
| \begin{verbatim}
| test
| \end{verbatim}
| \end{quote}
|
| \end{frame}
`----

This does not compile with latex.

It should be

\begin{frame}[fragile]
\frametitle{test}

\begin{quote}
\begin{verbatim}
test
\end{verbatim}
\end{quote}

\end{frame}

note the "fragile" option to the frame environment. See
www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf
Page 22 Section 3.13 Verbatim Text

An option to <slide> might help, but I'm not sure how to
implement it:

<slide title="test" fragile="t">

</slide>

leads to

\begin{frame}[fragile]

\end{frame}

Regards,

Philipp

Re: muse-latex.el and beamer: frame vs. verbatim

Michael Olson-2
Philipp Grau <[hidden email]> writes:

> Output:
>
> ,----[ parts from test.tex ]---
> | \begin{frame}
> [snip]
> `----
>
> This does not compile with latex.
>
> It should be
>
> \begin{frame}[fragile]
> [snip]
>
> note the "fragile" option to the frame environment. See
> www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf
> Page 22 Section 3.13 Verbatim Text
>
> An option to <slide> might help, but I'm not sure how to
> implement it:
>
> <slide title="test" fragile="t">
This also counts as something that should be send to muse-el-discuss,
not planner-el-discuss.

What does the "fragile" option actually do?  The manual doesn't explain
it.  What would happen if I just caused the "fragile" option to appear
on every slide, regardless of whether the slide had verbatim text?

--
|       Michael Olson  |  FSF Associate Member #652     |
| http://mwolson.org/  |  Hobbies: Lisp, HCoop          |

Re: muse-latex.el and beamer: frame vs. verbatim

Philipp Grau
Hello,

* Michael Olson <[hidden email]> [10.07.08 03:09]:
> This also counts as something that should be send to muse-el-discuss,
> not planner-el-discuss.

sorry, twice stupid me. But for now I'll keep it here.

> What does the "fragile" option actually do?

Up until now, I did not find any reference or explanation. Nor is my TeX
knowledge good enough to unterstand the source.

>  What would happen if I just caused the "fragile" option to appear on every
>  slide, regardless of whether the slide had verbatim text?

Not sure about that, I did not have the time to test it. But over the
weekend I could do some tests.

Regards,

Philipp

Re: muse-latex.el and beamer: frame vs. verbatim

Christophe Garion-3
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:44:53 +0200, Philipp Grau <[hidden email]> said:

>> What does the "fragile" option actually do?

Philipp> Up until now, I did not find any reference or explanation. Nor
Philipp> is my TeX knowledge good enough to unterstand the source.

To my knowledge, the "fragile" option indicates that there is some code
in the frame that is not interpreted as usual. The contents of the frame
is copied to another file and then read back so the character codes can
be modified (see section 7.1 of beamer user guide).

>> What would happen if I just caused the "fragile" option to appear on
>> every slide, regardless of whether the slide had verbatim text?

Philipp> Not sure about that, I did not have the time to test it. But
Philipp> over the weekend I could do some tests.

To my opinion, the best solution to include verbatim/listing
environments is to use the defverbatim command. For instance:

\defverbatim\mycodesource{
\begin{lstlisting}{
  (defun foo()
    "Foo function."
    (message "Hello!")
  )
}
}
\begin{frame}{The power of elisp}

Here is a wonderful function:

\pause

\mycodesource
\end{frame}

You can then use overlays as usual etc and do not have to declare your
frame as "fragile".

Christophe

--
Christophe Garion          ISAE/DMIA - SUPAERO/IN
[hidden email]             10 avenue Edouard Belin

Christophe Garion <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:44:53 +0200, Philipp Grau <[hidden email]> said:
>
>>> What does the "fragile" option actually do?
>
> Philipp> Up until now, I did not find any reference or explanation. Nor
> Philipp> is my TeX knowledge good enough to unterstand the source.
>
> To my knowledge, the "fragile" option indicates that there is some
> code in the frame that is not interpreted as usual. The contents of
> the frame is copied to another file and then read back so the
> character codes can be modified (see section 7.1 of beamer user
> guide).

So be it.  This is supposed to be only capable of producing simple
slides, unless people insert raw LaTeX code into it.

Michael Olson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Christophe Garion <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Philipp> Up until now, I did not find any reference or explanation. Nor
>> Philipp> is my TeX knowledge good enough to unterstand the source.
>>
>> To my knowledge, the "fragile" option indicates that there is some
>> code in the frame that is not interpreted as usual. The contents of
>> the frame is copied to another file and then read back so the
>> character codes can be modified (see section 7.1 of beamer user
>> guide).
>
> So be it.  This is supposed to be only capable of producing simple
> slides, unless people insert raw LaTeX code into it.

In other words, I've checked in a patch to add [fragile] to all slides,
so that I don't have to parse the contents of the <slide> tag to figure
out the right behavior.