[nmh-workers] Superhuman MUA.

Ralph Corderoy
Hi,

I heard of this Gmail-competitor MUA recently.  https://superhuman.com/
Reading through its list of features, it seems quite easy to think of
scripting some of them, e.g. delayed sending by refiling into a to-send
folder that's posted in the background, or appending a future reminder
to a per-day file to be inc'd.

For the avoidance of doubt, this isn't suggesting we ship features like
this, just a reaffirmation that being able to script mail-processing
programs that work well together, and with the rest of Unix, is
powerful.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

Ken Hornstein-2
>I heard of this Gmail-competitor MUA recently.  https://superhuman.com/
>Reading through its list of features, it seems quite easy to think of
>scripting some of them, e.g. delayed sending by refiling into a to-send
>folder that's posted in the background, or appending a future reminder
>to a per-day file to be inc'd.

I had not heard of it, so I took a look at it.  The web site sure does
look great, and features rocket engines, sparklers, and attractive
people playing tennis.  Which ... I guess is related to email?  Maybe if
I spend less time emailing I'll have more time to play tennis and I'll
be more attractive.

And a few of the features they claim to support seem ... impossible?
Like "Undo Send" ... how does THAT work?

>For the avoidance of doubt, this isn't suggesting we ship features like
>this, just a reaffirmation that being able to script mail-processing
>programs that work well together, and with the rest of Unix, is
>powerful.

Yeah, it's just convincing people of that (and getting our MIME support)
up to snuff).

--Ken

nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

Ralph Corderoy
Hi Ken,

> The web site sure does look great, and features rocket engines,
> sparklers, and attractive people playing tennis.  Which ... I guess is
> related to email?

I think we're meant to recognise ourselves in the photos and therefore
realise it's the product for us.

> Like "Undo Send" ... how does THAT work?

    What now? send -delay 30m

    $ cd `mhpath +future`
    $ find -type f
    ./2019-06-10T18:13/1
    $

With something coming along to send/post anything in a `past' folders?

--
Cheers, Ralph.

nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

Bakul Shah
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 18:45:45 +0100 Ralph Corderoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Like "Undo Send" ... how does THAT work?
>
>     What now? send -delay 30m

Great idea!  Until actual send occurs, the message stays in
+outgoing.  "send -delay 5m" should be the default :-) Gives
the one some time to reflect on whether it was *really*
necessary to send that inflammatory message or to recover from
a fat fingered send!

nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

Valdis Klētnieks
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 11:25:30 -0700, Bakul Shah said:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 18:45:45 +0100 Ralph Corderoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Like "Undo Send" ... how does THAT work?
> >
> >     What now? send -delay 30m
>
> Great idea!  Until actual send occurs, the message stays in
> +outgoing.  "send -delay 5m" should be the default :-) Gives
> the one some time to reflect on whether it was *really*
> necessary to send that inflammatory message or to recover from
> a fat fingered send!
"Fred Smith would like to recall the message...."

Yes, I'm sure he would.  That genie isn't going quietly back into the bottle, though.

--
nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

Ken Hornstein-2
>> Like "Undo Send" ... how does THAT work?
>
>    What now? send -delay 30m
>
>    $ cd `mhpath +future`
>    $ find -type f
>    ./2019-06-10T18:13/1
>    $

Maybe it's the rocket engines, but it sure doesn't seem like that's how
it works.  It implies you can "Undo Send" anything.

--Ken

nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

Paul Vixie-2
On Monday, 10 June 2019 22:41:18 UTC Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >    $ cd `mhpath +future`
> >    $ find -type f
> >    ./2019-06-10T18:13/1
> >    $
>
> Maybe it's the rocket engines, but it sure doesn't seem like that's how
> it works.  It implies you can "Undo Send" anything.

you seem to be implying that a new-economy technical company with a great
looking web site and venture backing might be making specious claims. that
just cannot be. by simple elimination, i deduce that they have invented either
time travel, or less likely but possible, a portable secure cooperative
universal inbox editor. either way, we can be sure they're not _lying_.

--
Paul

nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

George Ross
> "Fred Smith would like to recall the message...."

My usual reaction when I get one of these is along the lines of: "oh, yes,
I do recall seing that one, thanks for drawing my attention to it again".
And I can then go and think about why it was important that I shouldn't
have been reading it.  Otherwise it might have merged into the background
noise.
--
George D M Ross MSc PhD CEng MBCS CITP
University of Edinburgh, School of Informatics,

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

Ralph Corderoy
Hi Ken,

> It implies you can "Undo Send" anything.

That's adtistic licence.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

chad
FWIW, this (quietly add a small delay to send, and an undo button) seems to be a common feature in big webmail/MS email systems these days.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 11:26 AM Bakul Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 18:45:45 +0100 Ralph Corderoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Like "Undo Send" ... how does THAT work?
>
>     What now? send -delay 30m

Great idea!  Until actual send occurs, the message stays in
+outgoing.  "send -delay 5m" should be the default :-) Gives
the one some time to reflect on whether it was *really*
necessary to send that inflammatory message or to recover from
a fat fingered send!

--
nmh-workers

Re: Superhuman MUA.

Ralph Corderoy
Hi chad,

> FWIW, this (quietly add a small delay to send, and an undo button)
> seems to be a common feature in big webmail/MS email systems these
> days.

As long as there's a means to override it for when I know others are
waiting, e.g. I'm talking to them at the time, or to save them wasted
effort.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

--