[nmh-workers] nmh 1.7.1 for Fedora and RHEL

[nmh-workers] nmh 1.7.1 for Fedora and RHEL

David Levine-3
Hello nmh users,

nmh 1.7.1 is in the Fedora 26 and 27 update repos.  It will soon
be in the EPEL 6, EPEL7, and Fedora 28 repos.

After installation, nmh 1.7.1 will display a welcome message on
the first use of an interactive nmh command, unless there is a
"Welcome: disable" profile component.

If you discover any issues with the RPMs, please let me know.
For nmh issues, please notify [hidden email].

David

nmh-workers

Re: nmh 1.7.1 for Fedora and RHEL

Jon Steinhart
David Levine writes:

> Hello nmh users,
>
> nmh 1.7.1 is in the Fedora 26 and 27 update repos.  It will soon
> be in the EPEL 6, EPEL7, and Fedora 28 repos.
>
> After installation, nmh 1.7.1 will display a welcome message on
> the first use of an interactive nmh command, unless there is a
> "Welcome: disable" profile component.
>
> If you discover any issues with the RPMs, please let me know.
> For nmh issues, please notify [hidden email].
>
> David

Thanks for all the hard work.  Only issue that I've had is not
being able to send mail.  Not sure whether this is some holdover
of mine, but I had smtp as mts in mts.conf and that doesn't work.
Changing it to sendmail worked.

Jon

nmh-workers

Jon wrote:

> Thanks for all the hard work.  Only issue that I've had is not
> being able to send mail.  Not sure whether this is some holdover
> of mine,

Was an /etc/nmh/mts.conf.SAVE file, or similar, created?

> but I had smtp as mts in mts.conf and that doesn't work.
> Changing it to sendmail worked.

Due to this change, maybe?

- post now defaults to port 587 on 'smtp' message submission.

Do you override that in your profile?

David

nmh-workers

David Levine writes:

> Jon wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all the hard work.  Only issue that I've had is not
> > being able to send mail.  Not sure whether this is some holdover
> > of mine,
>
> Was an /etc/nmh/mts.conf.SAVE file, or similar, created?
>
> > but I had smtp as mts in mts.conf and that doesn't work.
> > Changing it to sendmail worked.
>
> Due to this change, maybe?
>
> - post now defaults to port 587 on 'smtp' message submission.
>
> Do you override that in your profile?
>
> David

No mts.conf.SAVE.  Don't override the port.

Never paid attention to this until now so I don't know whether
it's due to nmh or something else.

nmh-workers

Re: nmh 1.7.1 for Fedora and RHEL

Ralph Corderoy
Hi Jon,

> > > but I had smtp as mts in mts.conf and that doesn't work.  Changing
> > > it to sendmail worked.
> > - post now defaults to port 587 on 'smtp' message submission.
>
> Don't override the port.

If your local MTA doesn't listen on TCP port 587, `submission', and only
25 then post(8)'s default for -port of 587 will fail to connect.  Having
`post: -port 25' in your profile will presumably let you return to
`smtp' rather than `sendmail' if you wish.  Or have the MTA listen on
587.  http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/nmh.git/tree/NEWS#n53

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy

nmh-workers

Re: nmh 1.7.1 for Fedora and RHEL

Ralph Corderoy
Hi again Jon,

> Having `post: -port 25' in your profile

David's pointed out off-list that post(8) doesn't read the profile, but
send(1) does and passes its -port onto post, so that's what would be
needed.