node blocked by blocked parent

J Decker
doing a 'mtn update'

I now get

mtn.EXE: warning: attach node 2147484550 blocked by blocked parent
'Voxelarium.2/src/voxels'
mtn.EXE: warning: attach node 2147484551 blocked by blocked parent
'Voxelarium.2/src/voxels'
mtn.EXE: warning: attach node 2147484552 blocked by blocked parent
'Voxelarium.2/src/voxels'

for a few thousand files; that's one thing I did always dislike...

why not an option 'merge into existing' or 'do nothing if already the same'

Re: node blocked by blocked parent

Markus Wanner-2
On 06/01/2016 02:45 AM, J Decker wrote:
> mtn.EXE: warning: attach node 2147484550 blocked by blocked parent
> 'Voxelarium.2/src/voxels'
> mtn.EXE: warning: attach node 2147484551 blocked by blocked parent
> 'Voxelarium.2/src/voxels'
> mtn.EXE: warning: attach node 2147484552 blocked by blocked parent
> 'Voxelarium.2/src/voxels'

Well, what's blocking the parent? These are just subsequent errors
(which the UI could and probably should better collect and combine into
one, but...)

> why not an option 'merge into existing' or 'do nothing if already the same'

We had discussions about merging nodes or "stitching". But merge
semantics for things like that are far from trivial...

I agree this is not an optimal solution.

Kind Regards

Markus Wanner

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Fwd: node blocked by blocked parent

J Decker
On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 12:05 AM, Markus Wanner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 06/01/2016 02:45 AM, J Decker wrote:
>> mtn.EXE: warning: attach node 2147484550 blocked by blocked parent
>> 'Voxelarium.2/src/voxels'
>> mtn.EXE: warning: attach node 2147484551 blocked by blocked parent
>> 'Voxelarium.2/src/voxels'
>> mtn.EXE: warning: attach node 2147484552 blocked by blocked parent
>> 'Voxelarium.2/src/voxels'
>

> Well, what's blocking the parent? These are just subsequent errors
> (which the UI could and probably should better collect and combine into
> one, but...)

I have a repository that is tracked in git and in monotone.  I was
updating monotone and added two trees; three.js(187 files) and some
data in src/voxels/VOxelInfo_[1-250].txt  (okay it's only 437 some
files not thousands)

all the conflicts are exactly the same; directories are directories,
files are files, and the content of files is the same.

The easier solution was to do mtn heads, take the current revision,
stuff it in _mtn/revision as old revision and mtn revert --missing
into it; then subsequent reverts for those things which updated; some
things had changes in progress; but all of THOSE things already
existed in the repository.  (not so easy really)

----
So to reiterate...
start a repo in monotone
start same repo in something else (mercurial/git/...)
add same files files to both
update on another computer/directory from other repo
update on another computer/directory from monotone

>> why not an option 'merge into existing' or 'do nothing if already the same'
>
> We had discussions about merging nodes or "stitching". But merge
> semantics for things like that are far from trivial...
>
> I agree this is not an optimal solution.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Markus Wanner

Re: Fwd: node blocked by blocked parent

Markus Wanner-2
On 06/01/2016 06:46 PM, J Decker wrote:
> I have a repository that is tracked in git and in monotone.  I was
> updating monotone and added two trees; three.js(187 files) and some
> data in src/voxels/VOxelInfo_[1-250].txt  (okay it's only 437 some
> files not thousands)
>
> all the conflicts are exactly the same; directories are directories,
> files are files, and the content of files is the same.

Well, monotone tracks files and directories. Two directories added on
two different revisions (possibly even by two different persons) are two
different directories. If the two happen to claim the same name, that's
a conflict, in monotone.

As I said before, there's no good solution to support "stitching".
That's something that seems to work just fine for other VCSes (which do
not track files and directories directly).

I'm still convinced that monotone's approach has its benefits and it
would be worth implementing proper stitching, but... as a matter of fact
nobody implemented it so far.