on Debian can't to start stumpwm

Csányi Pál
Hello!

I like to try Stumpwm on my Debian Etch system because it is an interesting
interface for me. I use before the Window Maker, but that is not like
Stumpwm. I look at the screenshots. :)

So, I installed stumpwm, sbcl, cl-clx-sbcl, cl-asdf, clisp, cl-launch, emacs21.

I red the stumpwm README to find out how can I run stumpwm.

I search for the way how can I run stupmwm on Google, and in stumpwm-devel
list Archieve but still don't know the way.

Please, could you advice me how to run stumpwm?

--
Regards, Paul Csányi

Re: on Debian can't to start stumpwm

Luca Capello
Hello!

I'm the StumpWM Debian maintainer, in case someone doesn't know ;-)

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:16:23 +0200, csanyipal wrote:
> I like to try Stumpwm on my Debian Etch system because it is an
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
> interesting interface for me. I use before the Window Maker, but
> that is not like Stumpwm. I look at the screenshots. :)

Please, for any Debian-specific problem, use the Debian Bug Tracking
System at [1].

> So, I installed stumpwm, sbcl, cl-clx-sbcl, cl-asdf, clisp,
> cl-launch, emacs21.

You should decide which Common Lisp (from now on, CL) implementation
you want to use and then installing the necessary packages:

- CMUCL (not present on amd64, though) with cmucl-source

- SBCL with cl-clx-sblc (this is my advice, what I use everyday)

- CLisp (but StumpWM from CVS doesn't work with CLips-2.41 compiled
  with NEW-CLX, which is the one Debian provides on most
  architectures)

CL-Launch and Emacs21 aren't needed at all: the former is useful if
you want to create a CL script, the second one if you want to connect
to the running CL through SLIME [2].

> I red the stumpwm README to find out how can I run stumpwm.

Have you read /usr/share/doc/stumpwm/README.Debian [3]?  It contains
information about how to start StumpWM.  When installing a package on
Debian, please always first refer to the Debian documentation and then
to the upstream one.

> I search for the way how can I run stupmwm on Google, and in
> stumpwm-devel list Archieve but still don't know the way.

There's an open Debian bug about how to start StumpWM for CL newbies,
it's bug #356948 [4].  As you can read at [5], I'm working on a
solution for bug #356948 and a new Debian package is expected in the
next two weeks.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://bugs.debian.org
[2] http://common-lisp.net/project/slime
[3] http://cl-debian.alioth.debian.org/repository/lcapello/stumpwm/debian/README.Debian
[5] http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/cl-debian/2007-July/002634.html

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 02:27:32PM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:

> I'm the StumpWM Debian maintainer, in case someone doesn't know ;-)

My respects to you!

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:16:23 +0200, csanyipal wrote:

> - SBCL with cl-clx-sblc (this is my advice, what I use everyday)

> > I red the stumpwm README to find out how can I run stumpwm.
>
> Have you read /usr/share/doc/stumpwm/README.Debian [3]?  It contains

Yes.
I edited ~/.emacs and now can to start slime in emacs. Then in SLIME
run swank, and try tu run stumpwm:
(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'swank)
(swank:create-server :dont-close t)
(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'stumpwm)
(stumpwm:stumpwm)

but get error message:

Socket error in "connect": 2 (No such file or directory.)
[Condition of type SB-BSD-SOCKETS:SOCKET-ERROR]

Restarts:
0: [ABORT] Return to sldb level 1.
1: [RETRY] Retry performing #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {AF8F761}> on
#<ASDF:CL-SOU\RCE-FILE "swank" {AF88E81}>.
2: [ACCEPT] Continue, treating #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {AF8F761}> on
#<ASDF:CL-\SOURCE-FILE "swank" {AF88E81}> as having been successful.
3: [ABORT-REQUEST] Abort handling SLIME request.

There are lines abowe these:
Backtrace:

Are you interested to get from me these Backtraces? I send to you if
you want that.

> There's an open Debian bug about how to start StumpWM for CL newbies,
> it's bug #356948 [4].  As you can read at [5], I'm working on a
> solution for bug #356948 and a new Debian package is expected in the
> next two weeks.

Will this Debian package installable in Debian Etch?

--
Regards, Paul Csányi

Re: on Debian can't to start stumpwm

Pál Csányi
> [...]

Restarts:
0: [ABORT] Return to sldb level 1.
1: [RETRY] Retry performing #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {AF8F761}> on
#<ASDF:CL-SOU\RCE-FILE "swank" {AF88E81}>.
2: [ACCEPT] Continue, treating #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {AF8F761}> on
#<ASDF:CL-\SOURCE-FILE "swank" {AF88E81}> as having been successful.
3: [ABORT-REQUEST] Abort handling SLIME request.

There are lines abowe these:
Backtrace:

Are you interested to get from me these Backtraces? I send to you if
you want that.

> There's an open Debian bug about how to start StumpWM for CL newbies,
> it's bug #356948 [4].  As you can read at [5], I'm working on a
> solution for bug #356948 and a new Debian package is expected in the
> next two weeks.

Will this Debian package installable in Debian Etch?

Please don't post multiple times the same message, I read the list but
real life (and real work) comes first.  About that, I'll be off for
the whole w/e.

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:15:23 +0200, csanyipal wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 02:27:32PM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:16:23 +0200, csanyipal wrote:
>
>> - SBCL with cl-clx-sblc (this is my advice, what I use everyday)
>
>> > I red the stumpwm README to find out how can I run stumpwm.
>>
>> Have you read /usr/share/doc/stumpwm/README.Debian [3]?  It contains
>
> Yes.
> I edited ~/.emacs and now can to start slime in emacs. Then in SLIME
> run swank, and try tu run stumpwm:
> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'swank)
> (swank:create-server :dont-close t)
> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'stumpwm)
> (stumpwm:stumpwm)

Well, this is not what's in README.Debian [1].  Maybe it's not
clear, but you should start StumpWM *before* Emacs, otherwise the
swank port will be already taken.  Again, if it's not clear, please
submit a bug in the Debian BTS [2], preferentially with reportbug [3],
and I'll correct it.

If you want to start StumpWM from Emacs (which is not my advice),
fire-up SLIME and then give only the two last commands:

  * (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'stumpwm)
  * (stumpwm:stumpwm)

My advice is to start the swank in ~/.stumpwmrc.  Then once StumpWM
has started you can launch Emacs and connect to the running StumpWM
from SLIME with `slime-connect'.

>> There's an open Debian bug about how to start StumpWM for CL
>> newbies, it's bug #356948 [4].  As you can read at [5], I'm working
>> on a solution for bug #356948 and a new Debian package is expected
>> in the next two weeks.
>
> Will this Debian package installable in Debian Etch?

I need to backport it and then it should be Etch-compliant ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://cl-debian.alioth.debian.org/repository/lcapello/stumpwm/debian/README.Debian
[2] http://bugs.debian.org
[3] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

Re: on Debian can't to start stumpwm

Ernesto Alfonso
Hi csanyipal,

I was facing the same problem. Stupidly, I had not installed the xorg X
server. After doing this, I

echo "exec stumpwm" >> ~/.xinitrc

then

`startx`