open files

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

open files

Skip Carter
I was doing some maintenance on my sks server and I was surprised to
see that the sks db process has all of the dump files from the initial
build open:

lsof | grep sks

ks       23189              root   17r      REG              254,3    5
4965717   10747909 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0000.pgp
sks       23189              root   18r      REG              254,3    
53884256   10747910 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0001.pgp
sks       23189              root   19r      REG              254,3    
75707940   10747911 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0002.pgp
sks       23189              root   20r      REG              254,3    
85833346   10747912 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0003.pgp
sks       23189              root   21r      REG              254,3    
57206889   10747913 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0004.pgp
sks       23189              root   22r      REG              254,3    
54697273   10747914 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0005.pgp
....and so on...

I thought that after a normal build that the dump files are no longer used.





--
Dr Everett (Skip) Carter
[hidden email]

Taygeta Scientific Inc
607 Charles Ave
Seaside CA 93955
831-641-0645 x103



_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

signature.asc (673 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open files

Todd Fleisher
Are you sure you didn’t do a fast build? I originally did a normal build on my servers, but due to the initial issues causing me to have to rebuild several times I switched to fast build to save time. I am still running that way currently and can confirm my sks db process has the dump files opened. The documentation claims a normal build will run faster (although it contains an odd caveat to that statement - “depending from the source/age of the keydump”), but I haven’t noticed any serious performance problems since getting everything tuned and dialed in after the first few months. Maybe I will try a re-build one of these days and see if there’s any noticeable difference.

-T

> On Jun 18, 2019, at 9:24 AM, Skip Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> I was doing some maintenance on my sks server and I was surprised to
> see that the sks db process has all of the dump files from the initial
> build open:
>
> lsof | grep sks
>
> ks       23189              root   17r      REG              254,3    5
> 4965717   10747909 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0000.pgp
> sks       23189              root   18r      REG              254,3
> 53884256   10747910 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0001.pgp
> sks       23189              root   19r      REG              254,3
> 75707940   10747911 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0002.pgp
> sks       23189              root   20r      REG              254,3
> 85833346   10747912 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0003.pgp
> sks       23189              root   21r      REG              254,3
> 57206889   10747913 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0004.pgp
> sks       23189              root   22r      REG              254,3
> 54697273   10747914 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0005.pgp
> ....and so on...
>
> I thought that after a normal build that the dump files are no longer used.
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Dr Everett (Skip) Carter
> [hidden email]
>
> Taygeta Scientific Inc
> 607 Charles Ave
> Seaside CA 93955
> 831-641-0645 x103
>
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open files

Philihp Busby
Try turning SKS off, moving the dump files elsewhere, and seeing if everything is still cool.

On 2019-06-19T10:15:05Z, Todd Fleisher wrote:

>Are you sure you didn’t do a fast build? I originally did a normal build on my servers, but due to the initial issues causing me to have to rebuild several times I switched to fast build to save time. I am still running that way currently and can confirm my sks db process has the dump files opened. The documentation claims a normal build will run faster (although it contains an odd caveat to that statement - “depending from the source/age of the keydump”), but I haven’t noticed any serious performance problems since getting everything tuned and dialed in after the first few months. Maybe I will try a re-build one of these days and see if there’s any noticeable difference.
>
>-T
>
>> On Jun 18, 2019, at 9:24 AM, Skip Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Signed PGP part
>> I was doing some maintenance on my sks server and I was surprised to
>> see that the sks db process has all of the dump files from the initial
>> build open:
>>
>> lsof | grep sks
>>
>> ks       23189              root   17r      REG              254,3    5
>> 4965717   10747909 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0000.pgp
>> sks       23189              root   18r      REG              254,3
>> 53884256   10747910 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0001.pgp
>> sks       23189              root   19r      REG              254,3
>> 75707940   10747911 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0002.pgp
>> sks       23189              root   20r      REG              254,3
>> 85833346   10747912 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0003.pgp
>> sks       23189              root   21r      REG              254,3
>> 57206889   10747913 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0004.pgp
>> sks       23189              root   22r      REG              254,3
>> 54697273   10747914 /data/sks/dump/sks-dump-0005.pgp
>> ....and so on...
>>
>> I thought that after a normal build that the dump files are no longer used.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Dr Everett (Skip) Carter
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> Taygeta Scientific Inc
>> 607 Charles Ave
>> Seaside CA 93955
>> 831-641-0645 x103
>>
>>
>>
>>
>


>_______________________________________________
>Sks-devel mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel


_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

signature.asc (997 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open files

Skip Carter
In reply to this post by Todd Fleisher
Todd,

Yes I did a normal build: /usr/sbin/sks build /var/lib/sks/dump/*.pgp
According to the docs I no longer need the dump but this software has
proven itself to be so fragile that I need to schedule downtime to dothe experiment.

On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 10:15 -0700, Todd Fleisher wrote:
> Are you sure you didn’t do a fast build? I originally did a normal
> build on my servers, but due to the initial issues causing me to have
> to rebuild several times I switched to fast build to save time. I am

I suffered through several builds myself.  I considered the fast build
but was concerned about the performance loss that the docs imply.  But
from what you say it is not really a problem.
 
> still running that way currently and can confirm my sks db process
> has the dump files opened. The documentation claims a normal build
> will run faster (although it contains an odd caveat to that statement
> - “depending from the source/age of the keydump”), but I haven’t
> noticed any serious performance problems since getting everything
> tuned and dialed in after the first few months. Maybe I will try a
> re-build one of these days and see if there’s any noticeable
> difference.
>


--
Dr Everett (Skip) Carter
[hidden email]

Taygeta Scientific Inc
607 Charles Ave
Seaside CA 93955
831-641-0645 x103


_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

signature.asc (673 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open files

Skip Carter
In reply to this post by Skip Carter
so I did the experiment (for a normal build):

-- shutdown sks
-- move /var/lib/sks/dump elsewhere
-- restart sks

There seem to be no errors and there are a sane number of open files
(15).

So it appears that if the dump files are present, that they will be
opened regardless of the build mode.  I don't know the intentions of
the designers; but from my point of view using unnecessary resources
like that is a bug.
 

On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 09:24 -0700, Skip Carter wrote:
> I was doing some maintenance on my sks server and I was surprised to
> see that the sks db process has all of the dump files from the
> initial
> build open:
>
...

> I thought that after a normal build that the dump files are no longer
> used.


--
Dr Everett (Skip) Carter
[hidden email]

Taygeta Scientific Inc
607 Charles Ave
Seaside CA 93955
831-641-0645 x103



_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

signature.asc (673 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open files

Skip Carter
PS:  the server appears to be vastly faster and more reliable since I
did this

On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 09:34 -0700, Skip Carter wrote:

> so I did the experiment (for a normal build):
>
> -- shutdown sks
> -- move /var/lib/sks/dump elsewhere
> -- restart sks
>
> There seem to be no errors and there are a sane number of open files
> (15).
>
> So it appears that if the dump files are present, that they will be
> opened regardless of the build mode.  I don't know the intentions of
> the designers; but from my point of view using unnecessary resources
> like that is a bug.
>  
>
> On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 09:24 -0700, Skip Carter wrote:
> > I was doing some maintenance on my sks server and I was surprised
> > to
> > see that the sks db process has all of the dump files from the
> > initial
> > build open:
> >
>
> ...
>
> > I thought that after a normal build that the dump files are no
> > longer
> > used.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sks-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel
--
Dr Everett (Skip) Carter
[hidden email]

Taygeta Scientific Inc
607 Charles Ave
Seaside CA 93955
831-641-0645 x103



_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

signature.asc (673 bytes) Download Attachment