oversized payload

Hugo Cornelis

Hi,

monotone refused to synchronize between a client and server.

On the server side I got the error message

mtn: warning: protocol error while processing peer <some ip>:50331: 'oversized payload of '468421054' bytes'

:-)

This happened after adding a large (well, HUGE) file to the repository.  I was actually using monotone as a means to distribute an archive to several target machines.

To solve the problem, I reverted to a backup repository on the client side.

But what is the policy of monotone wrt file size that can be checked into a repository?

--
Hugo

--

                  Hugo Cornelis Ph.D.

            GENESIS-3 -- lead architect
              http://www.genesis-sim.org/

            Neurospaces Project Architect
              http://www.neurospaces.org/

Re: oversized payload

CooSoft Support
    Hi Hugo,

    I don't know the precise answer off the top of my head but I have certainly done this with files that are more than 200MiB (getting onto 300MiB or more). You say it is an archive, is it an archive that can sensibly be unpacked and then checked in? Just a thought.

    Tony.
On 12/02/14 08:50, Hugo Cornelis wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is.  I used scp to copy the archive to the target machine, but monotone would have been easier in this case (because of the preconfigured repository and a couple of shell scripts).

But I am wondering why it failed to synchronize, after the initial checkin was successful.

Hugo

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM, CooSoft Support <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thomas Keller
Hi Hugo!

> But what is the policy of monotone wrt file size that can be checked
> into a repository?

The maximum compressed packet size is 256MB (see src/constants.hh,
netcmd_payload_limit is 2 << 27).

I cannot tell whether this was set to this value on purpose or by
accident, but surely 256MB do not sound a lot roughly ten years after
this code was probably written :)

Thomas.

--
GPG-Key 0x160D1092 | [hidden email] | http://thomaskeller.biz