par2 - what and when to use?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Is par2 like a tar format with extra bits added to facilitate recovering
corrupt files? Is protection against files corrupt inside the archive or
corrupt archive file itself? Is there a easy to understands overview?

I see to use it like "par2+gs://bucket" but I want to do some local
backups that will use --no-encryption option and transport over sftp. Is
still a good idea to do like "par2+sftp://[hidden email]/path"?

If par2 is very powerful ability to protect against corruption, why
isn't it promoted more regular on duplicity website, manpage, mailing
list? Shouldn't it be in more of the examples?

Re: par2 - what and when to use?

duplicity-talk mailing list

Its parity information so in case a couple bits get flipped in the backup files, the parity information can be used to restore the data

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive

It should work on the ‘final’ output of the backup, so I feel like it should work if the backup isn’t encrypted and its just a .tar.gz file, but I have not tried it

~Mark

Re: par2 - what and when to use?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Thanks Mark. Has anyone tried like:

"par2+sftp://[hidden email]/path"

On 26.01.2020 23:49, Mark Grandi via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Its parity information so in case a couple bits get flipped in the backup files,
> the parity information can be used to restore the data
>
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive
>
> It should work on the ‘final’ output of the backup, so I feel like it should
> work if the backup isn’t encrypted and its just a .tar.gz file, but I have not
> tried it

well, no. it works as a backend wrapping other backends meaning it generates par2 files for _all files_ to be put on a backend regardless of their encryption/compression. it simply does and on a read it checks and if necessary repairs.

..ede/duply.net