problems trying to use par2

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi.  I am using asure as my backup and I decided to try using par2 to
gain some redundancy.  I just started to use it on an incremental
backup, and if it works use it on the next full one.

Now two things happened.  It wanted a module called pexpect which was
not there, but I found and installed the module.

Then I got the following instead of a backup.

Added incremental Backupset (start_time: Thu May  4 03:01:00 2017 /
end_time: Fri May  5 03:01:08 2017)
Last full backup date: Sat Oct 15 03:49:55 2016
Making directory /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
Deleting tree /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
Deleting
/tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1/duplicity-inc.20170504T070100Z.to.20170505T070108Z.manifest.gpg.par2
Deleting /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
Giving up after 1 attempts. AzureMissingResourceHttpError: The
specified blob does not exist.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do

         John Covici

Re: problems trying to use par2

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi John,

• Which version of Duplicity are you using?
• Has it worked without the par2 backend?
• Which version of the azure-storage package are you using?

Kind Regards,
Matthias

 <http://www.blue-yonder.com/>

Dr. Matthias Bach
Senior Software Engineer

[hidden email]
T    +49 721 383117 6244

Blue Yonder GmbH
Ohiostraße 8
76149 Karlsruhe

blue-yonder.com <http://www.blue-yonder.com/>
@BlueYonderTech <https://twitter.com/BlueYonderTech>
tech.blue-yonder.com <http://tech.blue-yonder.com/>

Registergericht Mannheim, HRB 704547 · USt-IdNr. DE 277 091 535 · Geschäftsführer: Uwe Weiss (CEO), Jochen Bossert

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche oder geschuetzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben,
informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Am 06.05.17, 09:23 schrieb "Duplicity-talk im Auftrag von John Covici via Duplicity-talk" <duplicity-talk-bounces+matthias.bach=[hidden email] im Auftrag von [hidden email]>:

[...]

I am using duplicity 0.7.12, and it works fine without par2.

I am not sure how to determine the verwsion of the azure storage
package I have, I think I must have installed via pyp.

On Sun, 07 May 2017 04:43:17 -0400,
Bach, Matthias wrote:

> [...]
>     Last full backup date: Sat Oct 15 03:49:55 2016
>     Making directory /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
>     Deleting tree /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
>     Deleting
>     /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1/duplicity-inc.20170504T070100Z.to.20170505T070108Z.manifest.gpg.par2
>     Deleting /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
>     Giving up after 1 attempts. AzureMissingResourceHttpError: The
>     specified blob does not exist.
>
>     Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
>     --
>     Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
>     How do
>     you spend it?
>
>              John Covici
>              [hidden email]

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:

Well, I now know that I am using pexpect 4.2.1, and so I tried it on a
full backup to see if it would work any better.  It kept saying things
like
Making directory /tmp/duplicity-29_4Gr-tempdir/duplicity_temp.7
Create Par2 recovery files
Attempt 2 failed. ExceptionPexpect: The command was not found or was
not executable: par2.

I do have version 4.2.1 of pexpect installed.  Am I doing something
wrong or is par2 just broken?

Bach, Matthias wrote:

> [...]
>     Last full backup date: Sat Oct 15 03:49:55 2016
>     Making directory /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
>     Deleting tree /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
>     Deleting
>     /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1/duplicity-inc.20170504T070100Z.to.20170505T070108Z.manifest.gpg.par2
>     Deleting /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
>     Giving up after 1 attempts. AzureMissingResourceHttpError: The
>     specified blob does not exist.
>
>     Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
>     --
>     Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
>     How do
>     you spend it?
>
>              John Covici
>              [hidden email]

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:

John,

A.
wrt. to the first issue.. i am pretty sure that you cannot start using par2 backend just within a chain. it will try to download the par2 files for the existing chain, which obviously were never created, so a missing resource exception sounds only natural.
solution: start a new chain by creating a new full.

B.
> Attempt 2 failed. ExceptionPexpect: The command was not found or was
> not executable: par2.
make sure that you have par2 installed. it is a command line binary eg. like gpg. them make sure it is in PATH environment and can be executed by running 'par2' on the command line.

..ede/duply.net

On 08.05.2017 11:05, John Covici via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> [...]
>>     not there, but I found and installed the module.
>>
>>     Then I got the following instead of a backup.
>>
>>     Added incremental Backupset (start_time: Thu May  4 03:01:00 2017 /
>>     end_time: Fri May  5 03:01:08 2017)
>>     Last full backup date: Sat Oct 15 03:49:55 2016
>>     Making directory /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
>>     Deleting tree /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
>>     Deleting
>>     /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1/duplicity-inc.20170504T070100Z.to.20170505T070108Z.manifest.gpg.par2
>>     Deleting /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
>>     Giving up after 1 attempts. AzureMissingResourceHttpError: The
>>     specified blob does not exist.
>>
>>     Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>>
>>     --
>>     Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:

Thanks all for your response.

OK, that makes sense -- I wish the requirements were in the man page
-- would have saved me a lot of fooling around.

there is also a package libpar2 -- do I need this as well?

On Mon, 08 May 2017 06:22:14 -0400,
edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> [...]
> >>     Last full backup date: Sat Oct 15 03:49:55 2016
> >>     Making directory /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
> >>     Deleting tree /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
> >>     Deleting
> >>     /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1/duplicity-inc.20170504T070100Z.to.20170505T070108Z.manifest.gpg.par2
> >>     Deleting /tmp/duplicity-vE26jR-tempdir/duplicity_temp.1
> >>     Giving up after 1 attempts. AzureMissingResourceHttpError: The
> >>     specified blob does not exist.
> >>
> >>     Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> >>
> >>     --
> >>     Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
> >>     How do
> >>     you spend it?
> >>
> >>              John Covici
> >>              [hidden email]

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:

right,

http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html#sect30
lists the command line binary 'par2cmdline' but not pexpect, probably because it is usually a dependency by the distro's packaging as it is needed for pexpect+ssh://, the legacy ssh backend.

how about providing a patch for the manpage ;) adding the pexpect line. it is already there for pexpect ssh?

..ede/duply.net

On 08.05.2017 12:36, John Covici wrote:

> Thanks all for your response.
>
> OK, that makes sense -- I wish the requirements were in the man page
> -- would have saved me a lot of fooling around.
>
> there is also a package libpar2 -- do I need this as well?
>
> On Mon, 08 May 2017 06:22:14 -0400,
> edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> A.
>> wrt. to the first issue.. i am pretty sure that you cannot start using par2 backend just within a chain. it will try to download the par2 files for the existing chain, which obviously were never created, so a missing resource exception sounds only natural.
>> solution: start a new chain by creating a new full.
>>
>> B.
>>> Attempt 2 failed. ExceptionPexpect: The command was not found or was
>>> not executable: par2.
>> make sure that you have par2 installed. it is a command line binary eg. like gpg. them make sure it is in PATH environment and can be executed by running 'par2' on the command line.
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net
>>

>> On 08.05.2017 11:05, John Covici via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>> Well, I now know that I am using pexpect 4.2.1, and so I tried it on a
>>> full backup to see if it would work any better.  It kept saying things
>>> like
>>> Making directory /tmp/duplicity-29_4Gr-tempdir/duplicity_temp.7
>>> Create Par2 recovery files
>>> Attempt 2 failed. ExceptionPexpect: The command was not found or was
>>> not executable: par2.
>>>
>>> I do have version 4.2.1 of pexpect installed.  Am I doing something
>>> wrong or is par2 just broken?

Re: problems trying to use par2

duplicity-talk mailing list
Thanks, the par2 command line was not mentioned in the  local manpage
as well.  I will see if I can figure out a patch for that.

edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> right,
>
> http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html#sect30
> lists the command line binary 'par2cmdline' but not pexpect, probably because it is usually a dependency by the distro's packaging as it is needed for pexpect+ssh://, the legacy ssh backend.
>
> how about providing a patch for the manpage ;) adding the pexpect line. it is already there for pexpect ssh?
>
> ..ede/duply.net
>
> On 08.05.2017 12:36, John Covici wrote:
> > Thanks all for your response.
> >
> > OK, that makes sense -- I wish the requirements were in the man page
> > -- would have saved me a lot of fooling around.
> >
> > there is also a package libpar2 -- do I need this as well?
> >
> > On Mon, 08 May 2017 06:22:14 -0400,
> > edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> >>
> >> John,
> >>
> >> A.
> >> wrt. to the first issue.. i am pretty sure that you cannot start using par2 backend just within a chain. it will try to download the par2 files for the existing chain, which obviously were never created, so a missing resource exception sounds only natural.
> >> solution: start a new chain by creating a new full.
> >>
> >> B.
> >> make sure that you have par2 installed. it is a command line binary eg. like gpg. them make sure it is in PATH environment and can be executed by running 'par2' on the command line.
> >>
> >> ..ede/duply.net

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: problems trying to use par2

duplicity-talk mailing list
maybe your duplicity is simply old ;)? ..ede/duply.net

On 08.05.2017 13:17, John Covici wrote:

> Thanks, the par2 command line was not mentioned in the  local manpage
> as well.  I will see if I can figure out a patch for that.
>
> edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>
>> right,
>>
>> http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html#sect30
>> lists the command line binary 'par2cmdline' but not pexpect, probably because it is usually a dependency by the distro's packaging as it is needed for pexpect+ssh://, the legacy ssh backend.
>>
>> how about providing a patch for the manpage ;) adding the pexpect line. it is already there for pexpect ssh?
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net
>>
>> On 08.05.2017 12:36, John Covici wrote:
>>> Thanks all for your response.
>>>
>>> OK, that makes sense -- I wish the requirements were in the man page
>>> -- would have saved me a lot of fooling around.
>>>
>>> there is also a package libpar2 -- do I need this as well?

Re: problems trying to use par2

duplicity-talk mailing list
Its 0.7.12. par2 command not mentioned.
On Mon, 08 May 2017 08:14:45 -0400,
edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> maybe your duplicity is simply old ;)? ..ede/duply.net
>
> On 08.05.2017 13:17, John Covici wrote:
> > Thanks, the par2 command line was not mentioned in the  local manpage
> > as well.  I will see if I can figure out a patch for that.
> >
> > edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> >>
> >> right,
> >>
> >> http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html#sect30
> >> lists the command line binary 'par2cmdline' but not pexpect, probably because it is usually a dependency by the distro's packaging as it is needed for pexpect+ssh://, the legacy ssh backend.
> >>
> >> how about providing a patch for the manpage ;) adding the pexpect line. it is already there for pexpect ssh?
> >>
> >> ..ede/duply.net

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: problems trying to use par2

duplicity-talk mailing list
sure? check the REQUIREMENTS section. it should be identical to
  http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html#sect30

if not. where did you get your copy. how did you install it? ..ede/duply.net