puzzling revision history

Hendrik Boom-2
Nothing urgent here. monotone-viz is reporting a puzzling revision
history, and I'mtryngtofigure out howit could have arisen with the
rather pedestrian operations I use.

d40c1d1e  branches C and priority

0d0fb542  branch priority

e388aa8b  branch priority

ebf87897  branches C and priority

Well, obviously branches C and priority had been tightly synchronised
at d40c1d1e, development took place on the priority branch only for a
few revisions, and then it was merged back to the C branch to
synchronise them again.

This is all pretry straightforward stuff.

But why is there no arrow from d40c1d1e to ebf87897 and a little merge
circle?

Isn't ebf87897 a merge between d40c1d1e and e388aa8b?

-- hendrik

Re: puzzling revision history

Ludovic Brenta-2
On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 14:26:45 -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> Nothing urgent here. monotone-viz is reporting a puzzling revision
> history, and I'mtryngtofigure out howit could have arisen with the
> rather pedestrian operations I use.
>
> d40c1d1e  branches C and priority
> 0d0fb542  branch priority
> e388aa8b  branch priority
> ebf87897  branches C and priority
>
> Well, obviously branches C and priority had been tightly synchronised
> at d40c1d1e, development took place on the priority branch only for a
> few revisions, and then it was merged back to the C branch to
> synchronise them again.
>
> This is all pretry straightforward stuff.
>
> But why is there no arrow from d40c1d1e to ebf87897 and a little
> merge
> circle?
>

> Isn't ebf87897 a merge between d40c1d1e and e388aa8b?

Not if ebf87897 was simply "mtn approve"d into branch C.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 08:35:38PM +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 14:26:45 -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >Nothing urgent here. monotone-viz is reporting a puzzling revision
> >history, and I'mtryngtofigure out howit could have arisen with the
> >rather pedestrian operations I use.
> >
> >d40c1d1e  branches C and priority
> >0d0fb542  branch priority
> >e388aa8b  branch priority
> >ebf87897  branches C and priority
> >
> >Well, obviously branches C and priority had been tightly synchronised
> >at d40c1d1e, development took place on the priority branch only for a
> >few revisions, and then it was merged back to the C branch to
> >synchronise them again.
> >
> >This is all pretry straightforward stuff.
> >
> >But why is there no arrow from d40c1d1e to ebf87897 and a little
> >merge
> >circle?
> >

> >Isn't ebf87897 a merge between d40c1d1e and e388aa8b?
>
> Not if ebf87897 was simply "mtn approve"d into branch C.

Ah.  That makes sense.  I've never actually used the mtn approve command,
but I suppose there are other commands that have the same effect,
presumably if the merged revision is d=identical to one of its
ancestors.

Thanks.

-- hendrik