pycryptopp?

duplicity-talk mailing list
In installing duplicity on OS X, I decided to use python 3.7 since it is time to make a break with python 2.7.  I have an interesting issue.  The document say that pycryptopp is needed for the sap backend along with paramiko.  However pycryptopp itself is not python 3.7 compatible, only python 2.6 and 2.7
https://pypi.org/project/pycryptopp/

Am I misinterpreting something?  Can you only use the scp/sftp backend with python 2.7?

-Scott

Re: pycryptopp?

On 12.08.2019 02:04, Scott Hannahs via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> In installing duplicity on OS X, I decided to use python 3.7 since it is time to make a break with python 2.7.  I have an interesting issue.  The document say that pycryptopp is needed for the sap backend along with paramiko.  However pycryptopp itself is not python 3.7 compatible, only python 2.6 and 2.7
> https://pypi.org/project/pycryptopp/
>
> Am I misinterpreting something?  Can you only use the scp/sftp backend with python 2.7?

seems like pycryptopp is not maintained anymore. this
  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32800336/pycrypto-on-python-3-5
suggests to try
  https://www.pycryptodome.org
as a drop in.

1.
 what is the 'sap' backend? scp?
2.
 which document says u need pycryptopp for paramiko? https://github.com/paramiko/paramiko/blob/master/dev-requirements.txt does  not list it.

..ede/duply.net

Re: pycryptopp?

On Aug 12, 2019, at 5:23 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 12.08.2019 02:04, Scott Hannahs via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>> In installing duplicity on OS X, I decided to use python 3.7 since it is time to make a break with python 2.7.  I have an interesting issue.  The document say that pycryptopp is needed for the sap backend along with paramiko.  However pycryptopp itself is not python 3.7 compatible, only python 2.6 and 2.7
>> https://pypi.org/project/pycryptopp/
>>
>> Am I misinterpreting something?  Can you only use the scp/sftp backend with python 2.7?
>>

> seems like pycryptopp is not maintained anymore. this
>  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32800336/pycrypto-on-python-3-5
> suggests to try
>  https://www.pycryptodome.org
> as a drop in.
>
> 1.
> what is the 'sap' backend? scp?
> 2.
> which document says u need pycryptopp for paramiko? https://github.com/paramiko/paramiko/blob/master/dev-requirements.txt does  not list it.
>
> ..ede/duply.net

Edgar,

Thanks for the response.

sap = scp (damn autocorrect)

Does the current backend for scp/sftp function with python 3.7?  If so did someone edit it to work around this lack of unmaintained pycryptopp already, and just not put it in the notes?

Is there somewhere a list of the minimal set of top level additional python modules needed to build duplicity and each of the backends?

I found the reference in the “README" file.  Possibly this is in error?  It lists both paramiko and pycryptopp.   I am really only interested in the top level needed libraries since I can work our dependencies automatically.  I thought that the scp/sftp backend needed it directly.  If it only needs paramiko then I can drop the requirement entirely.

"for scp/sftp -- python-paramiko and python-pycryptopp"

For reference, I am building a fink package for OS X.

-Scott

Re: pycryptopp?

On 13.08.2019 03:09, Scott Hannahs wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2019, at 5:23 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> On 12.08.2019 02:04, Scott Hannahs via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>> In installing duplicity on OS X, I decided to use python 3.7 since it is time to make a break with python 2.7.  I have an interesting issue.  The document say that pycryptopp is needed for the sap backend along with paramiko.  However pycryptopp itself is not python 3.7 compatible, only python 2.6 and 2.7
>>> https://pypi.org/project/pycryptopp/
>>>
>>> Am I misinterpreting something?  Can you only use the scp/sftp backend with python 2.7?
>>>

>> seems like pycryptopp is not maintained anymore. this
>>  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32800336/pycrypto-on-python-3-5
>> suggests to try
>>  https://www.pycryptodome.org
>> as a drop in.
>>
>> 1.
>> what is the 'sap' backend? scp?
>> 2.
>> which document says u need pycryptopp for paramiko? https://github.com/paramiko/paramiko/blob/master/dev-requirements.txt does  not list it.
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net
>
> Edgar,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> sap = scp (damn autocorrect)

now it makes sense

> Does the current backend for scp/sftp function with python 3.7?  If so did someone edit it to work around this lack of unmaintained pycryptopp already, and just not put it in the notes?
>
> Is there somewhere a list of the minimal set of top level additional python modules needed to build duplicity and each of the backends?

the manpage should be. section REQUIREMENTS

> I found the reference in the “README" file.  Possibly this is in error?  It lists both paramiko and pycryptopp.

maybe paramiko needed it in the past?

>I am really only interested in the top level needed libraries since I can work our dependencies automatically.  I thought that the scp/sftp backend needed it directly.  If it only needs paramiko then I can drop the requirement entirely.

duplicity merely requires paramiko (and it's dependencies) for the backend with the same name.

> "for scp/sftp -- python-paramiko and python-pycryptopp"
>
> For reference, I am building a fink package for OS X.

have fun doing so.. ede/duply.net

Re: pycryptopp?

duplicity-talk mailing list
I removed the pycryptopp reference in the README.  It does not appear anywhere else.

...Ken

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:42 PM edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13.08.2019 03:09, Scott Hannahs wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2019, at 5:23 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> On 12.08.2019 02:04, Scott Hannahs via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>> In installing duplicity on OS X, I decided to use python 3.7 since it is time to make a break with python 2.7.  I have an interesting issue.  The document say that pycryptopp is needed for the sap backend along with paramiko.  However pycryptopp itself is not python 3.7 compatible, only python 2.6 and 2.7
>>> https://pypi.org/project/pycryptopp/
>>>
>>> Am I misinterpreting something?  Can you only use the scp/sftp backend with python 2.7?
>>>

>> seems like pycryptopp is not maintained anymore. this
>>  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32800336/pycrypto-on-python-3-5
>> suggests to try
>>  https://www.pycryptodome.org
>> as a drop in.
>>
>> 1.
>> what is the 'sap' backend? scp?
>> 2.
>> which document says u need pycryptopp for paramiko? https://github.com/paramiko/paramiko/blob/master/dev-requirements.txt does  not list it.
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net
>
> Edgar,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> sap = scp (damn autocorrect)

now it makes sense

> Does the current backend for scp/sftp function with python 3.7?  If so did someone edit it to work around this lack of unmaintained pycryptopp already, and just not put it in the notes?
>
> Is there somewhere a list of the minimal set of top level additional python modules needed to build duplicity and each of the backends?

the manpage should be. section REQUIREMENTS

> I found the reference in the “README" file.  Possibly this is in error?  It lists both paramiko and pycryptopp.

maybe paramiko needed it in the past?

>I am really only interested in the top level needed libraries since I can work our dependencies automatically.  I thought that the scp/sftp backend needed it directly.  If it only needs paramiko then I can drop the requirement entirely.

duplicity merely requires paramiko (and it's dependencies) for the backend with the same name.

> "for scp/sftp -- python-paramiko and python-pycryptopp"
>
> For reference, I am building a fink package for OS X.

have fun doing so.. ede/duply.net

Re: pycryptopp?

duplicity-talk mailing list
That makes my life easier!  Thanks!